New Car Advice | FerrariChat

New Car Advice

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Face76, Oct 22, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Need to replace my wife's car. Need something that can be comfortable in town and the occasional trip to Texas From Kansas City so gas mileage is important.

The choices so far are a Prius V or a Jetta TDI. Don't want to spend over $30k since she wrecks or abuses cars terribly. The Jetta gets my nod since I could keep it forever if she doesn't wreck it first. Not a big fan of the Prius V but a neighbor just got one and my wife likes it.

Open to other ideas but nothing sporty. I have already looked at a Focus ST but the mileage isn't up to snuff.

Have I said my wife wrecks cars a lot?

2. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Regular Prius?

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just bought a 2011 Jetta TDI manual. I certainly wouldn't call the car fun, but it is comfortable and 45mpg is great.

4. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Neighbor's car is a V which I believe is the biggest version of the Prius. I have not sat in it yet but my wife did get to drive the neighbor's car and really liked it. We have farm equipment so my wife knows the difference between gas and diesel so not scared of her mis-filling the Jetta TDI. Not sure about my kids though.

5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If she likes the prius....happy wife happy life?

My uncle just bought a Jetta wagon tdi yesterday. Sort of funny, since I bought my tdi, two of my uncles have now bought one. Sounds like that's what you would prefer?

6. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Not familiar with the longevity of the Prius V but would expect that the TDI could last a long time with a responsible owner.

7. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I love mine more than I ever thought I would.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Passat TDI, Jetta TDI or Golf TDI all are great, depending on her needs.

9. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    How long do batteries last in a Prius? 7 years? Then you have to pay how much for new ones, and how much to discard the old ones? Isn't it quite a bit, like 3K total?

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    agree.

Jetta if you want cheap sedan.

Golf if you need a hatchback.

Passat if you need space/comfort. (I had a Passat rental car last month in Austin, put 600+ miles on it, very comfortable car)

11. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I prefer the Passat myself and the battery life of the Prius worries me a little. Test driving this weekend and then make a decision as it is end of the month.

12. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Batteries are designed to last the life of the car. In my 3 years at Toyota we didn't change a single battery. This is not new technology and has been in North America for 15 or so years.

Toyota Prius Hybrid Taxi Clocks 1 Million Kilometers in Vienna
    DailyTech - Cab Driver Passes 400,000km Mark in Prius

The engine in the Prius v should be the same as the regular, 1.8 with hybrid synergy drive. I'm not trying to be biased but I know the Prius very well so figured I would share.

You can't go wrong with vw as they make great cars but we have had two auto trannies blow on our golf and jetta. My brothers tdi ended up being a money pit.

Fuel wise Prius will win in city tdi on highway.

13. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Our current Jetta was a great car until my eldest daughter took it to college for 2 years where it sat outside. Changing a thermostat on a gas Jetta is nuts and expensive. Overall though, the car has been a tank. I worry about how VW has de-contented their cars though because we would be buying one of the lower models in the line-up and we currently refer to the Jetta seats as vinyl-covered cement blocks.

I have ridden in older Prius' and liked them so we shall see this weekend.

14. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Harsh winters?

15. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Yes. Northern Missouri can be pretty hard on these cars, especially when they are only driven periodically.

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    At risk of suggesting something a little more stylish and borderline fun, maybe a base MINI Cooper?

Nice mpg, not all that fast but they are nice to drive...

17. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Camry Hybrid? Just throwing something else out there.

18. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Maybe a Ford Fusion hybrid?

19. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    The Prius is not something I would call a luxury interior either. My favourite interior is actually the regular Prius with no leather. No chance against a tdi passat for example.

20. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Clever mix of bOth but the hybrid Camry trunk will be smaller and lacks some reclining seat features which always was a negative for me. Can't speak for the new model Camry though which is coming out soon (2015).

21. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Teach her how to drive. Crashing cars is not cool...

22. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So yes I am finally on a computer so I want to chime in a bit.

Prius and Prius V are very similar the main difference is the space. If you are comparing sizes the Prius is closer vs. the Jetta and will get better mileage.

LOTS of cars out there, feel free to pm me as I am very active in the auto industry.

Mazda makes some cool cars and they have SkyActiv to help fuel economy. Subaru is great for safety, especially if your wife destroys cars, and they have the PZEV. Honda has lots (Fit is a cool little compact).

If fuel mileage is a big deal I have an excel spread sheet that will help you compare vehicle prices / fuel economy.

23. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Bought a leftover 2014 Prius (not the V). Got almost 20% off sticker and they weren't really dealing on the V's. Looked at the Jettas but just wasn't impressed with the interiors which, for some reason, I expected to be nicer.

24. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Congrats, I think you made a great choice. I have a few friends who have had Jetta TDIs over the years. It seems like they either have tons of issues or run forever with little in between - at least in the limited cases that I have gotten feedback on. Prius is a much more solid choice IMO.

25. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You will be vey happy with that purchase. depending on how you drive you may even get better mileage vs the fuel rating .