80s BMW 635csi / M6? | FerrariChat

80s BMW 635csi / M6?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ZigZagLens, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ZigZagLens

ZigZagLens Rookie

Jun 14, 2014
    Los Angeles (Venice)
    Hi guys,

This is my first post, so I want to start by saying how amazing this board is and how much I've learned from all of you since I signed up and started surfing around. I recently began a quest for my first Ferrari and, while I haven't found her yet, I will - and armed with a lot more knowledge than I would without all of you - so thanks!!

In looking around though, I've noticed another vehicle that seems interesting for a different reason - the BMW 635Csi and its brother the M6. There are some excellent specimens out there from the latter part of the E24 production run and selling in the mid-teens. For example, 87-89 635CSi and even an M6 or two. As a kid, this was a dream car for me so it'd be interesting / fun to pick up a couple. But here's the rub -- I'm looking for a Ferrari to love and to drive, not as an investment (although appreciation would be a nice bonus.) But I feel like the e24s could be an investment opportunity. They're quite cheap "in the wild" right now, and I just saw a stellar (but not concours-stellar) example sell for a nice price at Gooding ($55k as I recall.) Sure, we can't measure a market by one frenzied auction sale, but it does seem reasonable (given the demographic of those who wanted these cars when they were first produced) to think that they might be on their way up.

Any thoughts?

2. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I have a 1985 635csi, it's a great car, used to be called the Bavarian Ferrari back in the day but I don't think I'd make the comparison, as it is a very different ownership experience.

As far as investment goes, maybe the M635/M6 will be worth something in the future, but the regular cars, not so much I think. I'll come back to write more later, but for now visit BigCoupe.com - The Ultimate 6-Series Website, lots of info there.

They are great cars, especially for the money. I love mine.

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    I'd say there more of a Bavarian Aston Martin, the M6 is the one with collectibility potential as said.

4. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I had an M-6 and really liked it. Mine was used Grey market with ALL the options. Try and find a US car as the conversion company that did mine screwed up the exhaust. Didnt know it until the next owner replaced it and opened up another 50 or so horses.

I'd say hold out for one over a 635.
    They are fairly different.
    Remember; these are BMWs. Repairs are expensive if you can't do simple maintenance yourself.
    Buy the best one you can find.

And yes as far as investment potential. Now that Porsches have become all the rage and priced accordingly people will remember the M6 was its competitor and less built.
    I'd still take a 911 over one but for the money an M6 is hard to beat.

5. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    How much is the current mkt price for an M635CSi (M6) in the US ?

6. ZigZagLens

ZigZagLens Rookie

Jun 14, 2014
    Los Angeles (Venice)
    I'm seeing them for ~$15-25k, depending on condition. $20k is probably the average asking price I've seen this year.