My Rant | FerrariChat

My Rant

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Ferris Bueller, Oct 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Ok here is my rant.
    As some of you know I completed my restoration of my 1967 GTO.
    Everything on the car is correct numbers matching and I spent thousands on NOS parts.
    The other day a guy posts he has an original walnut shifter knob for sale.
    I email him and ask him how much does he want for it. (I am not afraid to spend crazy money for NOS parts.)
    This is the BS I hate..He says in his email “make me an offer” I hate this approach. If you list something for sale you already have a price in mind. Why play these silly games.
    I reply back and respectfully tell him I have no idea how much this part is worth and offer him $150.00 for the knob.
    He emails me back and says “thanks a lot but I will pass.”
    I email him back a respectful email again asking him how much ih was looking to get for the part.. My emails have gone unanswered.
    Has any one else ever been in this situation? I would of most likely bought the knob if I had some sort of feedback or negotiation from the seller. I just don’t get it. Is it me???
    Did I do something wrong?

2. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Frustrating.
    Really can't stand idiots like that.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Nope. Life is too short. Move along and find a non-idiot to deal with.

4. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    You did nothing wrong he is just looking for "bids" and see what is the highest he can get.

I recently did something similar with a part I had for sale, but I put in a high price in my ad, and wanted to see what I would be offered. ( I started at $295, and ended up taking $175, which I thought was fair)

5. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Buying 101 - if the seller can't give you a price, it can't be bought. You were polite to at least make an offer. I would have asked him to email me back when he decides what he wants. No sense bidding against yourself.

6. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Big pet peeve of mine, but you see it all the time on craigslist. Bought two motorcycles on CL, but you can often tell from the ad if the guy wants to sell or is just wasting his time. If it doesn't have a price, they don't get a call. I just default to assuming they are an idiot wanting way too much.

The other one is on forums classifieds where guys do a "feeler" ad. Is it for sale or not? Hate those things.

7. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    A bunch of time wasting. Similar thing happened to me with a guy who had a 944 Turbo "for sale". After emailing him a well thought-out and researched offer that was more than fair his email reply was one word: pass.

8. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have a walnut knob for a GTO
    Will trade for a box of cigars?

PM me with email if interested

My wife has her original, one owner 1969 GTO, <50,000 miles, convertible, 3-Spd manual, all original

Gets more attention than the two Ferraris in the garage

9. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Send him an email; "Would you take $1,000 for it ?"
    If he responds yes send another.
    "How about $500, would you take it ?"
    Let the games begin.