Thoughts on 2004 Mercedes CLK - reliability, etc | FerrariChat

Thoughts on 2004 Mercedes CLK - reliability, etc

Discussion in 'Other German' started by nathandarby67, Nov 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    My brother is shopping for an inexpensive car (sub 10K), and came across a 2004 CLK locally with about 100K miles. Price is $7K I think. Has the 3.2L V6 engine. Anyone have any experience with these? I know a lot of German cars from that era had a reputation for electrical problems, but otherwise don't know a lot about the CLK. Any big problem areas to be aware of? Anything specific to look for? Anyone have one and love it? Hate it? Thanks!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Rust. Mercedes stopped using galvanized steel for a bit around that time. the 01 C class I had was rusting on all 4 doors despite being garaged kept it's entire life. Many S classes from that time have the same issue. Not sure if the CLK is the same way, but it is worth looking into.

In my experience these cars are designed to go 100K and nothing more. Once they cross that line things start going wrong. With my C it was almost all electronics. If you can work on the car yourself it isn't terrible, but if you have to rely on the dealer it will add up quick. The dealer wanted $1200 to replace the fuel pump!

3. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Bingo - my exact experience as well. 7 years or 100k miles is the rule. After that, expect a $500-$1200 repair every 4-6 months on top of routine maintenance.

I had a 2000 CLK320. Only way I'd ever own a MB again is if it's under full warranty.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Pretty sure the CarMax warranty is comprehensive.

5. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    See if he can swing a 2006 Clk350 instead. Much better engine coupled with the 7 speed and host of interior updates. The price difference shouldn't be much on the used market.

6. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Been lucky on ours, 2005 CLK500, but only 34000 miles so far......
    Just oil changes, front brake pads, air filters, and tires.

Has original wiper blades, wifey has it parked outside at work each day,
    amazing ! I just replaced the battery as preventive maintenance at
    9 years old, again amazing. I did not want wifey to get stuck, but
    was still turning over good.

Did have a electrical cable go out under warranty, but only problem.
    We have been lucky, I figure we will get a big bill someday.
    We bought new, so 10 years old now.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    WHAT!!?? :eek:

8. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I had a 2004 CLK500 for daily driver, no issues and sold it with 45k miles on it. Just oil changes. I have noticed that the later cars (CLK350 and 550), seem to have better reliability.

9. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I thought the same thing. Never heard of these cars having rust issues.

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Yep. Spend some time looking up Mercedes Benz Rust Issues C and S class. You will find tons of complaints of the issue. All the stories start with rust forming at the bottom of the boors and then on the trunk.

To be fair it is tough to find anything official about the issue. I personally had the problem on an 01 C Class that we got when it was 1 year old. It was garaged it's entire life and rarely driven in snow. No accident history at all.

I have seen suggestions that it is due to not using galvanized steel, as well as the switch to water based paint. Again, it is hard to turn up anything official.