electric turbos? | FerrariChat

electric turbos?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by photonut, Nov 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
  2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    The electric turbo gives more low end torque, but that doesn't seem to be what Ferrari wants.

On the California-T the torque output is limited in the first few gears to encourage higher rpm take-offs and to simulate a naturally aspirated engine. Ferrari doesn't want the huge torque numbers like Mercedes.

EDIT: On second thought, could this be the end of turbo lag as the electric turbos could spool up quicker?

3. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Vector was working on something like this a long time ago to eliminate turbo lag...called "Turbodyne"

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    This. The electric turbo prototypes I had in my hands were all intended for short time use to improve dynamic behaviour, not for continous operation.

5. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Rube Goldberg lives !
    Lets get this straight; A power sucking generator provides power to an electric motor to spin a gearbox that finally drives a centrifugal turbine wheel ? Just how much efficiency is lost in each step to get what wasted exhaust gasses provided for free in the first place ?

Engineering fail.

6. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I don't think any of these are intended for continuous use & would used stored energy from a capacitor for short burst or to spool up conventional turbos.

7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    So it's a leaf blower hooked to your car? I could see it as a boost to help get the engine up to proper rpm, but not long term. And isn't it closer to a Supercharger than a turbo?

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    all to reduce the latency and mechanical drag of turbo impellers.

makes sense to me :)

10. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

11. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's inevitable, electric turbos are what they're using in f1 already. It harvests energy when the boost isn't needed and can spool up instantly to reduce lag, but otherwise uses the exhaust to drive it like a traditional turbo.