taxes and trade in value | FerrariChat

taxes and trade in value

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 95spiderman, Nov 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I know that you save the taxes when you trade in your old car to dealer for a new one.

but what about if the old car is worth MORE than the new one?

thanks

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'd guess that no tax would be due and the dealer would give you a check for the balance between the trade and the new car. But, I bet the dealer lowballs you on the trade. They're not accustomed to scratching checks to an owner for trades.

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    No tax is due, as long as you will register and title the car in a state where the trade-in credit exists.

No, you don't get paid by the state for the difference in tax. :)

4. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    oops forgot to mention that the car being traded in is leased so dealer has to give check to leasing co.
    does that change things?

5. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Yes, that changes things dramatically.

You will have to actually PAY the ENTIRE tax on the car that you are trading in, if you are turning in the leased car before end of term. In other words, get ready to write a big check.

You should then get a tax credit on the new car that you are buying, but I can't say that for sure, because that varies from state to state.

6. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    well i got the buy out amount from the leasing co and that is what the new dealer is willing to pay. since i didnt pay anything upfront i guess the taxes were put into the monthly payments.

doesnt that mean i dont have to pay any more taxes?

7. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I can't answer that question, since I am not part of the deal. You will have to find out the particulars from your dealer.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    It is all by state....

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
  10. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    More than likely, you will receive no tax benefit from the lease trade in.... As you are not really trading it in and the leasing company really owns it.

Why bother assigning your lease residual buyout to the dealer for no compensation?

Some states like MI give you no credit for trade ins..

11. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    my real goal was to sell the leased car privately for slightly more than the amount of the buyout but that doesnt seem to be happening so trading it in is only alternative if i want to get out of lease

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    oh, my bad. buy out amount from leasing co....

i was thinking the lease end residual amount. at which point you just walk...

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    got my answer from dealer yesterday. since the car being traded in is more expensive than the new one, there are no taxes on the new one. doesn't matter if was leased or not. yippee

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    How could that be? U don't own it. The leasing company does. That is a sweet loophole

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    yes it is
    even better is I didn't pay full taxes on the lease car either as it was rolled into the monthlies. anyway, hasn't happened yet but im hoping will work out on monday

16. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    I would double and triple check that with the person at the dealership.

To buy out a lease there are 2 ways due to the fact that you do not own it.
    -One is to make the remainder of payments and give it back.
    -The second is to buy it out which would include the price of the vehicle PLUS taxes.

Doing that later would mean that you now own the vehicle.

Unless this dealership is being sneaky with the paperwork you cannot trade in a vehicle and receive tax benefits on a vehicle that you do not own/bought out from the leasing company. They could just be moving the numbers around to make you THINK you are getting a better deal then you are.

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    hmmm
    dealership is paying the lease company the 'buyout amount' and then they get title. im relieved of responsibility when i give car to dealership.
    buying a car is always a crap shoot :(
    wish me luck

18. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    Because the dealer is making the buyout they do not have to pay taxes. So the ownership would go from the leasing company to them. Then, from what it sounds like you will be paying the full amount of tax on the new vehicle that you purchase from the dealer.

19. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    ok deal was done on Monday. new car dealer bought out my leased car directly from the leasing co, sold me a new car, and I paid NO taxes on the new car. so that is definitive answer

btw, most amazing thing about trade is they never really inspected my car at all. never drove it, have no idea condition of tires, brakes. no idea if ever had body work. crazy but what if I had a failing transmission and they took it without checking? that's a $35k job right there. also, goes to show how risky it is to buy a used car from dealer. you would imagine they check out the car first so youre safer than with a private sale, but not the case

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    sounds like someone messed up..... id consider yourself lucky

21. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I believe you because you said so, but it makes no sense. If the dealership owned the car, they could give you "trade in" credit for the amount of value above the buyout if they are being generous. But I can't see why they would give you trade in credit on the entire value of "their" car.

Good for you if they messed up (on the sales tax, not the car inspection)!!

Maybe others in NY can share experiences similar/different on sales tax since it is state by state? Here is what NY says:

Quote taken from here for those interested:

Taxable Receipt - How Discounts, Trade-Ins, and Additional Charges Affect Sales Tax

BTW, this is pretty much how Florida handles sales tax.

Regards,
    Jerry