Does anyone remember life before the Internet | FerrariChat

Does anyone remember life before the Internet

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by proof69, Nov 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    i am trying to sell 2 inexpensive cars on the Internet. I get a lot of what's your best price and can you accept PayPal. The cars have been advertised for 3 weeks and not one person has come see them. I remember back in the day and I am definitely dating myself by saying I used to sell cars in the l.a. Times back in the 80's and 90's. Cars would sell within a week and people would come out and look at them. I am getting a totally different vibe today. Can someone explain to me what is going on. I am very confused.

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes! It was so much easier to buy and sell cars, and actually make some good money..

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Put them on eBay. I sold a very nice Porsche in a week for full asking price - best advertising ever.

Honestly I don't miss people coming over to my house and looking at cars. At all.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I didn't sell much back then. My greatest impression is how easy it is to find cars with the net.

When I did sell a car, it was not a special car. ... A local buyer would be found and the deal done without fanfare and little lost time.

But seeing all the unusual cars is far better today.

5. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I agree with you. My question is why?

6. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    Before the internet you had to go into those seedy places to buy magazines and movies too.

7. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I prefer the days of old.

8. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    +1

9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have to admit, I found my last two Ferraris and Porsches on the internet.

10. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    Information is everywhere so fewer people misprice when they buy or sell. The market is very transparent and therefore much more efficient.

11. platinumsc

platinumsc Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2004
    I remember saying out loud 20 years ago that I would never sit at a computer like an antisocial nerd.
    Here I am typing replies on a forum. Jeez!

12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I also prefer life before the internet.

13. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The irony of so many bemoaning the existence of the internet on FChat is hysterical. ;)

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I feel like I was more attentive and creative before this retched internet entered my home..

15. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No way. Internet rules! I'm on this forum learning about wonderful cars, the country of Bhutan, talking NFL with fellow fans, sharing what (very) little I know abt cars, learned to make pizza dough, yada, yada yada. Certainly, dangerous if abused, like any new technology, but used correctly & supplemented with real life interaction & fresh air, the Internet is arguably science's greatest gift to mankind in the later half of the 20th century...T

16. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Internet will be looked at as one of those things that changed human civilization, I am convinced of that. The sheer amount of information available if you choose to use it is incredible. Entire national revolutions have been facilitated by online activity.

As for selling vehicles, it is sometimes easy to see the dealers or sellers who are not internet savvy. The days of a BS artist salesloser that attempts to size up a buyer and inflate the price are simply over. Dealerships that do not use online with prices listed are walking dead. Sellers that think they have the only one like it in the country and thus worth 50% over market are wasting thier time and the car or bike will just sit.

The internet really is the great equalizer.

17. cfe142

cfe142 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2011
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    You waited for the next month's issue of Hemmings Motor News.

18. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I think those over 50 appreciate a time before the Internet. Anyone younger really doesn't relate to how things used to be.

19. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

What is wrong with waiting? It was something to look forward to. Young people can not relate.

20. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Yes, it obviously changed civilization. The jury is still out whether better or worse.

21. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Winner winner, chicken dinner.

22. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    What he said. For buying/selling cars, which was what the OP was writing about, I have no nostalgia for the way things were.

Plus, add up everything you've learned on FChat and tell me you were better off in 1990.

Waiting for the non-material rewards in life? Nothing wrong with that.

Waiting for Hemmings, or for the car you want to appear on the local used car lot? No thanks. Life is too short to waste waiting for the trivial stuff.

23. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    There's only a couple of reasons they are not selling. Your price is too high or your ads are terrible. I've sold probably 10 cars via Cars.com and Craigslist and they're always gone in a week. I used to stick to Cars.com but tried Craigslist on the last car I sold (I think it was a 2005 Acura TL) and had the same result as the Cars.com ads but for $75 less per ad.

When I am getting ready to sell a car I do some market research on the sites I mentioned and also KBB and eBay. Once I know what similar cars (age, condition, mileage) are selling for I take a bunch of pictures and list it at a market competitive price. I invite potential buyers to come check it out and I even allow inspections at a mechanic. I have only been lowballed once. I refused the offer and sold the car (I think it was a 2007 Sienna) the next day at full price.

It's all about the ad. I try to model my ads to mirror car ads I've seen and liked.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I like post-Internet life, but definitely remember pre-Internet. Interestingly enough, I'm having an issue selling a car, and it's been for sale for far too long.

Tons of tire kickers - especially over eBay. I'll sell the car I believe, but what a PAIN IN THE ***!

25. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    As sellers, we're sometimes the last to know what the market value is of what we're selling.

A properly priced car for sale will almost always sell faster than one that's overpriced. This is also true for houses and most collectibles.