New Mustang follows the tradition of the Boxer and TR... | FerrariChat

New Mustang follows the tradition of the Boxer and TR...

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rpissm, Nov 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    A little off topic yes, but I think we need something to discuss other than TR values! :)

The new Mustang GT350's engine is flat!

Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 returns | Fox News

"Tops on the list is a 5.2-liter V8 that features a flat-plane crank – an engine design rarely seen on the road in cars that aren’t made by Ferrari."

2. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Read it again.

The engine is not flat...it is a V8 with a flat plane crank.

3. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    V8 yes, with a flat plane crank... Isn't the TR engine a V12 with a flat plane crank (aka '180 degree V12')?

Here's another writeup:

Ford unveils Shelby GT350 Mustang

Ford said the new performance pony car is more "balanced, nimble and exhilarating" than past versions and is designed as a street legal track car that can tackle the most challenging roads.

The flat-plane crankshaft V8 is typically used on European sports cars and racing vehicles. Unlike a traditional V8, where the connecting rods are attached to the crankshaft at 90-degree intervals, this design evenly spaces all crank pins at 180-degree intervals, allowing for better performance.

"Make no mistake, this is an American interpretation of a flat-plane crankshaft V8, and the 5.2-liter produces a distinctive, throaty howl from its four exhaust tips," said Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer, Ford global performance vehicles, in a statement.

4. blue_myriddn

blue_myriddn Karting

Feb 8, 2012
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Styling on the new Mustang is fabulous. A friend of mine just picked one up and it looks really nice in person. I have been impressed with American car manufacturers - they are making some really nice vehicles that seem to have some real market potential and providing a good buy for consumers.

What I found most interesting about the 2015 Mustang is its availability in a 4cyl. A 2.3L 4-banger kicking out 310HP is pretty darn impressive. I hope it doesn't drive like a bucket of bolts with that little bitty engine in a heavy car, but I give Ford a nod for stepping up to the plate with something very different.

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    People on here are discussing a wide range of topics; you just have to venture outside of the TR subforum in order to join them.

Thread moved to appropriate subforum.

6. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    No, the V of the engine in the TR is 180°.

The V8 Ferrari engines have a 90° V with a 180° crank. That is what we are talking about with the new Mustang engine.

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

It's a flat 12, aka Boxer engine, where the cylinders are oriented at 180 degrees or flat, and so the pistons look like they're "boxing" each other. A flat plane crank has nothing to do with the orientation of the cylinders. Ferrari's V8s use a flat plane crank and none of those are boxer motors.

8. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Ah yes, an important distinction. Thanks for the clarification!

9. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Really? Looks like an over done cartoon to me.

The Ford designers have are clearly out of ideas of what to do with this car and have bolted on ever single thing they can borrow from others to try to make it look contemporary.

10. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I saw the picture of the 2016 Shelby gt-350. It does look cartoonish.

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Just a little piece of info to add.

A flat 12 isn't always a boxer engine, the boxer engine configuration refers to a crankshaft layout such that opposing cylinders do not share crankshaft position, and are 180 degrees from eachother on the crankshaft. Opposed pistons both move towards the crankshaft at the sametime, and then move away from the crankshaft at the same time. The Ferrari "boxer" and Testa Rossa use a flattened V12, which follows the same design as a V12, where opposing pistons share the same crankshaft rotational position(causing the opposed pistons to always move away from eachother, instead of towards).

The BB can be confusing as the model of the car being uses the word boxer, when the engine isn't.

The boxer engine requires a more complex crankshaft design, but allows for better balance with an engine of lower cylinders.(Such as the VW bug's opposed four). With twelve cylinders, the BB and TR engine doesn't need a boxer lay out to keep the engine balanced.

12. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
    I love the new 'Stang. The Camaro, on the other hand, THAT looks cartoonish.

If anyone needs a son for Christmas, a nice GT "Premium" would look great under my tree. :D

13. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #13 BMWairhead, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    A minor clarification: on a "non-boxer" flat engine, the opposing pistons are not always moving away from each other...rather, they are always equidistant from each other. IOW, one is moving towards the crankshaft while the other is moving away from the crankshaft...when one is at TDC, the other will be at BDC...etc.

On a boxer engine, the opposing pistons will be at TDC at the same time...then they move towards each other until they reach BDC...at which point they will start to move away from each other.

14. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Holy crap...