328 ---> 355 ---> 911 ---> C7 | FerrariChat

328 ---> 355 ---> 911 ---> C7

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Carbuilder, Nov 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Carbuilder

Carbuilder Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This is my summary of the "exotic" cars I've had over the last 2 years. For those trying to decide what to buy at some point, it may help. Of course some of this is opinion not fact, so don't argue; disagree, but don't argue.

Ferrari 328 (1989)

Very solid feeling car. Nothing fancy, just what it needs to get the job done. Steering, clutch, brake effort just right. Fairly easy car to drive anywhere. Great sounding engine, good enough power to have fun. A/C when at its best will not keep up with the hottest weather. Targa roof panel, when stored behind the seat, takes up enough room that the seat has to be moved forward from my “normal” driving position (with a 5’ 10” driver); not a huge deal. Overall reliability seemed good. Easy car to work on. A very fun car to own and drive. Only going to go up in value if that matters to you.

Ferrari 355 (1996)

Not so solid feeling as the 328. Obviously faster and better handling, but somehow a bit more delicate. Amazing engine sound. An exciting car to drive. Very poor build quality, especially the interior (all the problems are known and don’t need to be repeated). While I could see owning a 328 again, I wouldn’t own a 355 again. Never felt that it was a reliable car. Always wondered what warning light was going to come on next. Very complex systems that may have been ahead of their time (exhaust bypass, soft-top operation, the infamous immobilizer, 5 valves…). Not a car to be driven every day if you really need to get there.

Porsche 911 Carrera S (2007)

A beautiful, easy car to drive. Comfortable, very good handling, enough power, excellent cruising car. A good combination of luxury and performance. But really not exciting to drive. Nothing wrong with it that I could put my finger on, just not exciting. Maybe the fact that all 911’s pretty much look the same no matter what the generation. The Porsche guys can point out all the differences, but Joe Public would have trouble seeing them. Very good build quality, a solid car. Easily a daily driver.

Corvette C7 (2014)

Now this is obviously newer than all the others, but man, what a car! This has the 3LT interior and the Z51 handling package. If you haven’t driven one of these, you really should. No, it isn’t “exotic” like a Ferrari (depending on how you define exotic) but it is very exciting to drive; something that was missing with the Porsche. It is like a futuristic car with all the technical gizmos in it, and even the external styling is different enough to stand out in a crowd. A very nice daily driver in any weather, but enough power to scare you (stock ones are running the ¼ mi in well under 12 seconds). Interior quality (certainly with the 3LT package) is as good or better than anything on the road.

I realize that styling is a personal thing, but having said that there are certain cars that always stand-out. When I looked at the 328, 355, and even the 911 in my garage I always thought “what a beautiful car”. BUT, they will never be classic beauties like the 250 GTO, Daytona, or an XKE. Of course the Vette will never be in that class either. But with the Vette I look at it and think “what a stunning car”. It looks aggressive, powerful, almost futuristic. Personal opinion of course, but something about the design is really amazing. And yes, I’m biased since it is the car I own now. My friends always tell me that I think every car I buy is the best one ever. I tell them that you should feel that way. What would be the point of buying a car that you don’t feel is as good as what it is replacing.

So that is my summary of my cars over the last 2 years. In rough numbers the price of these cars are $50k, $60k, $60k, and $70k, so all within a $20k range. If this info helps anyone make a decision on what to buy, good, that was the point.

Rick

2. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Nice write up thanks. I can't comment on any of the four cars, but I get how certain "better" cars can not be as much fun (or as engaging) to drive.

3. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Good quick review. Thanks.

4. Dino V

Dino V Formula 3

Sep 21, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Enjoy the new Vette. I have test driven the new Vette, and definitely an improvement over previous years. Good bang for your buck (base ones can easily be had under $50k starting).

5. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Good summary. For Corvettes, the main things that have always kept me away are:

1. They are very common around here (southern California), so kind of like a BMW 3 series you can count on seeing one at every light.

2. The interiors still don't stack up to the 997, IMHO. I feel like Chevy is still saving money there.

Interesting comments on the 355 as well. I know two 355 owners who switched to 308s or 328s afterward, and their reasons/observations were similar to yours.

On the 997, I agree, they don't make much of a style statement anymore. The 993 was a "pretty" 911 -- the newer ones do look more or less the same. But, honestly, I don't think Porsche buyers are quite as obsessed with exotic styling as Ferrari buyers are. 911s are like the Brooks Brothers suit that you can wear forever, anywhere, and be in good taste. But not much of a conversation starter.

6. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    It's always good to read comparisons from someone who has owned multiple cars and is therefore in a good position to observe, compare, and contrast.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

7. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Interesting comparison. I can't comment much on the Corvette except that I respect the direction of the car's workmanship and track-worthiness.

I've had numerous 911s and just recently picked up an 89 coupe to drive for a bit. I'd gladly take my 89 over a 997. Nonetheless, neither cars are close to any of the Ferraris in terms of a visceral driving experience. I'd own one as a daily driver though...even the 89.

I also sold earlier this year my second 328 and bought a 355 Challenge. I bought the 355 as I felt bad driving a pristine, original street 328. Instead I wanted a car that I can race and drive without too much aesthetic worries and still have period race provenance. So far so good, but keep in mind that my 355 Ch is void of much of the electronic bits still present in street versions. Time will tell on my 355 experience, but at least I'll have a track worthy Ferrari, which my 328 wasn't.

8. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I've read this a few times, but are you talking about the 3LT interior? Hard to believe. If they don't stack up to the 997, it has to be very close. My 997 didn't have the full leather, so no leather dash. Given that, the C7 is much nicer. And, maybe a minor point, but the 997 had aluminum coated plastic parts in it. The new Vettes brag about "no fake materials inside"; if it looks like aluminum, it is; if it looks like carbon fiber, it is. Of course I haven't had the Vette very long, so time will tell how durable everything is.

9. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Wish I liked the looks of the C7, the C6 was a C3 incarnate. Thank you for the depictions.

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thought your write ups were correct . My first 5 cars were Vettes,last was 73 when I swore off the breed, never to enter an American car showroom until this year. A number of Porches,Loti,Vipers and Ferrari cars ensued. I loved the lines of the new C7. Went in to order a 015 Z51 and came away with a little wait time as I ordered the new Z06 at my wife's direction. Hopefully the A8 production will begin next month.

11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    well written observations
    I too had a 328, then a 355, and I would agree that as much as I loved the sound and driving experience, the 355 always had me shall we say 'concerned' :)
    i had a manual so didn't suffer the F1 box teething issues, but the engine out service and the shape-shifting interior parts finally sealed the deal for me.....but it was an unbelievable car, never boring
    kinda like that hot date you just couldn't get along with

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Interesting perspective. I work at a performance shop specializing in late model GM vehicles. The C7 is a great performer.

I really love the looks, sound and overall experience of the F355 however. I sold mine a few years back and am buying another one now.

13. pearsonhaus

pearsonhaus Formula 3

Jul 2, 2008
    The C7 is quite an advance for Chevrolet. It really is a beautiful design, although I did have a problem with the tail lights for a while. It is a whole lot of car and performance for the money. The big downside for me is there are too many of them already. There were lots of them at SEMA. I suspect in another couple of years they will be all to common.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Huge c7 fan. Love the looks like an f12. Drove one on track and very impressed. Great steering, clutch/shift, brakes. Not that fast as im used to gtr but better in almost everything else. Z06 should take care of that though

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I can give you my opinions of the 425 + cars I've owned in the last 25 years but it would probably end up being novel # 4. Though I do think it has made me more understanding of why manufacturers do certain things and for those reason 90% of the cars I own remain stock for the shortest time possible.

16. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Whilst I always fancied a Ferrari, my experience from listening to friends who have them is that they are not for me.
    I have driven Porsche for many years (often as my only car), and followed the huge progress made by the 911 in the last 4 decades.
    What I like most about Porsche is that they can be daily drivers and are generally reliable.
    OK, they are common as muck, and not very inspiring to some, but I personally like the continuity in design. When I pick up a new Porsche, I know I am in a familiar environment, and what I can expect from it.
    But I still fancy a Ferrari though ... but as a second or third car.

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    The C7 is a great sportscar. I don't really mind that it is popular and relatively common. Just the same as it doesn't bother me that there are a lot of Ipads, Rolex Subs and Armani suits. If its good, folks buy it. Good on GM for producing a fantastic product. Besides, there are plenty of ways to personalize a C7 if the need to be "different" becomes overpowering.

18. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I had a contrary opinion. Drove a new one and after 2 hours I concluded it was very much like my C5. Each to his own, but it certainly didn't make feel as though I had to trade.

19. Carbuilder

Aug 18, 2012
    Bolton, ON
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Of course, each to his own. But stock it is 100 HP more than the C5 with a far better interior. It certainly isn't like the C5 I had.

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I think the C7 is a great car and I would agree the stock interior of a 997 was not that special. I thought I was done with my Ferrari/Lamborghini days but lately I find myself wanting another 430 gearshift coupe. Might be time to stop by Algar.

21. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Well, Chevy being Chevy, I wouldn't put much faith in that interior. Chevy uses the lowest quality leathers this side of a Chrysler.

22. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Ferrari leather barely last few years before wears out

23. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    #23 Long Beach Pride, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    That is one thing that IRKS me about Porsche. Stainless or Aluminum LOOK Gas cap, and for how much? You can go after market and buy the real deal for less! And the funny thing is I am still a Porsche guy. Why must they use FAUX materials at the prices they are charging?

I'm glad Chevy finally brought their interior in the `Vette up to Snuff. Before their interior's were as cheap as a sub $20K car.

24. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    The thing about Corvette, and I owned five before graduating to Ferrari about ten years ago, is that it's fundamentally just a Chevrolet. One of the things that's always fascinated me about about Ferrari is that the motoring public, for the most part, doesn't know the difference between a $50k car and a $250k car. When we take our 348 spider to the local Saturday night cruise-in, given the opportunity I will always grab a spot next to a ZR-1, an admittedly superior car in every tangible respect. Guess which car draws the most attention? Correct. It's called cachet. Corvette doesn't have it. Ferrari defines it.

Be nice, tifosi. Tiz the season...

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And Lamborghini perfected it......