Mazdas Run Out of Oil? | FerrariChat

Mazdas Run Out of Oil?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Innovativethinker, Nov 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I bought my kids Mazdas back in 2007, one was a 3, which at 124k miles just ran out of oil and smoked the engine, that was about six month ago.

My other daughter's Mazda 6, with 91k miles just did the same. Had the 90k service done in June, and wasn't scheduled for another oil change until this week.

Neither car leaked oil or blew smoke, they just suddenly ran out of oil.

Cost to replace engine is $6,500.

Anyone else have a problem like this with Mazdas?

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Geez. I knew they were not exactly "Toyotas" but that's a bad run of luck.

3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I check the oil level on my cars every week.

Generally, unless you have catastrophic failure, you're not going to run out of all your oil from maximum to nothing in a week. You also pick up on sudden increases of oil usage and catch problems early, preventing serious harm to the engine.

Were your kids also doing this, or just relying on the service intervals?

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Out of curiosity, what were the scheduled intervals? I could see a small oil pan + long oil change interval causing problems with low oil levels if the motor 'burned a little oil'

5. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    6,000 miles. Service always by mazda dealers.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    google "mazda PCV failure"

7. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Sounds like a Subaru. Lots of blow-by and weak ringlands.

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I simply can't imagine not checking the oil level on a vehicle, especially an older vehicle, for 6000 miles. I check ever fill up, gives me something to do while tank fills and IMO that is a habit all drivers should have. At the mileage of these cars it's perfectly acceptable to use a quart of oil every 1000 miles and that would exhaust the capacity of most sumps.

9. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I remember when I was looking to buy an RX-8 a few years ago, it was mentioned that it was a good idea to carry oil with you as it burned through it quickly....may had to do with rotary engine.

10. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    This is nothing new. Back in 1980, my parents bought a Mazda 626 when it was awarded "Car of the Year" by some periodical. Anyway, it constantly burned oil and they finally traded it in on a Honda Accord.

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I have raced Spec Miata for 15 years and the best track car I've ever owned is a Turbo Miata. These and every car I have ever owned consume some oil. I am sure the race cars consume more than a quart very 1000 miles, but then again we've done a 25 hour race in SM and MX-5 with maybe a quart added. At 90K or more mileage, I would not worry over a qt every 1000 miles or so. My new cars use less oil, but not zero. It's just a good idea to routinely check as a leak could develop or something else go wrong and it sucks to lose an engine if a quart of oil every month or so will keep it running.

And the rotary tends to use more oil, but the cars at issue have piston engines.

I doubt the engines "suddenly" lost oil, unless the level was regularly checked in which case there had to be a leak or trauma to the engine like broken ring land (but then it should have smoked and lost power). They were older, higher mileage cars that just need more care and feeding.

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They would have blown smoke and burnt the oil. It doesn't just disappear, has to go somewhere.

Sorry there is an oil pressure light on the dash ... kids need to learn to monitor things to prevent damage, ie. if light flickers on, which it would have, tell Dad and check oil. Part of the growing up process ...
    Pete

13. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    No smoke (until the engine went), and no oil lights/low pressure warnings. I suspect either the PCV valve issue or a broken/failed ring.

Hard to believe in a modern vehicle gauges or warning lights would not come on (happened in both vehicles) and that one needs to check the oil more than every 5,000 miles with no smoke or leaks. Under 100k miles doesn't seem like a lot of miles these days. This has not happened with any other vehicle I've owned in the last 20 years. I have Hondas, Toyotas and Hyundais with over 100k that burn almost zero oil between changes.

The cars were always serviced by Mazda, the one that just went got a $900 90k checkup in June. Disappointing to hear they do not perform compression checks as part of that service.

$7k (forgot sales tax) to put in a rebuilt engine, will use it as a spare company car. Bought her a new Hyundai Elantra, for $4k off msrp (great deals right now on 2014 models).

Never a Mazda again, but will advise kids to check oil more often after 80k

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Who was driving the cars when it happened? No oil light? I call bs, sorry.

15. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    As I said, it happened twice with two Mazdas with two different drivers.

My post wasn't about evaluating drivers, it was asking if anyone else experienced the problem of Mazda's running out of oil

Have a nice day.

16. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    A friend had the same thing happen to his 3.

17. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My first VW burned oil faster than any car I'd ever owned, despite being relatively (~70k) low mileage. It also had a very small oil pan and an oil pressure light that only flickered in corners when there was barely enough oil to wet the dipstick. I learned that terrifying lesson during month 1 of ownership when an 1800 mile road trip over a long weekend pretty much used up the car's entire oil supply.

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #18 PSk, Nov 28, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    Agree. Almost every second car in Sydney is a Mazda ... they are reliable and popular cars.

Mazda does not even make the oil pressure sensor, pretty much the same in many makes of cars. Plus my son has an old Mazda 3 and it uses oil (burns it) and his oil light flickers when he needs to top up the oil ... and he knows nothing about cars. With his first car we had to replace a brake disc has be had ground it down to the vents! ... now he knows to tell us about new noises ... Lol.

This is why for a lot of people first cars need to be cheap so they learn. Plus there is no way they suddenly dumped ALL the oil, no way unless there is a huge hole in the sump.
    Pete
    ps: why would a compression test be part of a service? And it would not tell you anything about oil loss.

Sorry if my tone offends, but are you sure yours kids are not scared to tell you the true story? I.e maybe the boys decided to do some hooning, etc .... we were all young once and our cars suffered why we enjoyed ourselves.

Lastly do you trust the service place ... over her in Australia there are some dodgy ones that ensure the car will fail to get more work.

19. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Well I would be the one to blame, as the kids follow my guidance pretty well.

They brought their cars in for the scheduled services. I did not teach them to check the oil between services and in modern engines I am really surprised that they would burn that much oil in under 6,000 miles. I own/owned over 25 vehicles in the last ten years and this is my first experience with oil loss. No other vehicle has had this problem, from chevy to mercedes to honda.

As a kid I would wrench my own vehicles, including rebuilding engines, back in street racing days we checked the oil weekly and changed the spark plugs monthly (anyone remember using a timing light, adjusting carburetors and replacing points?).

At 90k, yes I think a compression check would be in the list of $900 things they do, certainly at some point you need to do one, and I was surprised to hear it is not in the manufacturers suggested inspections.

So I will have to modify my instructions to the kids, but I'm still not buying Mazda again.

20. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Audi has a serious problem with oil burning. The A4 requires engine replacement to fix the problem. The dealers are jammed with warrenty engine swaps. Infact out local Audi dealer is building a bigger service facility just to keep up with all the massive stupid issues these cars have. They have 2 shifts running just to keep up.

21. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    is that related to the oil sludge problem? or a different deal?

22. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I just don't understand never checking oil for 6000 miles. Regardless of oil consumption other things can and do go wrong from time to time, such as leaks or even road hazards (oil pan is very low). At each fill up there is usually time to quickly check oil and just look under hood for leaks and coolant and brake fluid levels, too. What do other folks do when fuel is flowing? I think you have been incredibly lucky to have never had a problem between 6000 mile service intervals for 25 vehicles. I've certainly never had that experience. Technicians can make mistakes. My cars all tend to be performance vehicles and most see track time so I am unusual I suppose, but I do not rely on warning systems to alert me to problems when a little mechanical sympathy and checking vitals can go a long way toward anticipating and preventing problems and getting stranded or a breakdown on a limited access highway and the intrinsic danger of getting to and being stuck on a shoulder with high speed traffic around.

I suppose the modern consumer insists on a vehicle that can be ignored and quality is such that you can largely get away with that, but why not be more diligent?

23. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    #23 venusone, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    As all RX-7 owners must know the engine uses oil to lube the rotars. One can expect to have to add oil continuously to any 7. But not that much. I'd check the feed to rotars. Shuld not be enought to make engine smoke. My custom bult one havs dedicated oil lines.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No. It's a cylinder to ring sealing issue along with PCV problems. The cars are a joke.

25. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Hmm, the plot thickens:

"During disassembly technician noticed a leak from the radiator
    Replacing radiator would cost an additional $377.85"