Next Car Purchase & Thoughts | FerrariChat

Next Car Purchase & Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Shark01, Nov 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Currently have:

2007 BMW 335i cabriolet with 85k miles
    1999 Lamborghini Diablo roadster with 9,000 miles

So my daily is getting kind of long in the tooth, so starting to think about replacing it. So in two years from now I should have $90k or so to do something with. So the options I'm kicking around are:

Option 1: Buy a really cheap-azz 3 year old daily ($10-15k) and buying another weekender (360 or 997.1 GT3) or

Option 2: Buy a plus daily (PDK Turbo, R8 V10, Jag F-S, GTR, Aston Vantage) from 2010-2011

Option 3: Keep the 335i on life support for another 3-5 years (maintenance nightmare?) and get a 430 or Gallardo

Not much depreciation with Option 1, and you don't care about it getting dinged up. The down side is you probably feel like crap spending a bunch of time in a car like that.

With Option 2 you probably feel like a King on weekdays but will the depreciation and road wear lessen the feeling.

Option 3 is the wildcard for me.

Yes, middle class first world problem LOL, thanks for your input.

2. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I always buy a DD that I enjoy to drive and don't worry about depreciation, which has included an e34 M5, TR, 993, e39 M5, Viper, e60 M5, S5 cab, 991s and my current 997.2TTS. I always buy extended warranties, drive ~20k miles per year and try to drive them 100k miles or so before getting a replacement. IMHO, life's too short to drive a car you don't enjoy.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Wait. I'm confused. Is this a question about something you might do 2 years from now or is this a problem for now to get through the next two years until you have $90k?

If it's the first, I don't know why this is even something that you're thinking about. Two years is a long time away.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    If you're commute is a significant one, I'd want something nice to arrive @ home/work feeling as good as I can. So, I think that'd be your option # 2. If you have a relatively easy/short commute, I'd go el cheapo DD & save pennies (option 1) for a great weekend/date/vacation/sneak away from work on a beautiful day car...T

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Your issue sounds premature if you are thinking to make a change in two years. A lot can happen in 2 years, but I understand, I love to dream too.
    That said, imo, & from my knowledge & experience I say:
    Your option 1 is not fair - humongous difference between a 360 & gt3 - two different cars for two different purposes. You need to hone in on this option. iow, if you want an exciting and in your face ride, you go 360, otoh if you want a performer, track car, understated you go a gt3. Relative to costs , the 360 has significant annual recurring costs compared to the p-car. That all said. why bog yourself down to a crappy daily driver, ugh. not for me...

Option 2 also mixes different cars. So what is it you want? Go to each of their respective threads and read the differences, plenty of articles highlight the differences and what not. Imo, porsche is super reliable and built w super quality (had a couple) , audi is also reliable (i had a couple 8's) but R-series seems too expensive for what you get, I know nothing of the jag as it is new, I have heard of quality (fit &fin) issues w the gtr and the aston is more comparable to an f-car, delicate. If you are concerned about costs then imo an f-car or aston is not friendly.

Your option 3 is just another version of option 1. iow, 10K-15K for a dd is same as maintenance costs to keep your 335 alive during an f-car ownership. f430 slightly less annual recurring costs than 360 but more up front money to get into. Neither car is a realistic dd (i had a 430). Again if you are concerned about costs (upfront & recurring) be very careful of the exotics. read more, ask more.

Fun thread, good luck.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yep, its the first one.....LOL....I thought about exotics of all types for the nine years it took to save up for the Diablo, stuff like this helps motivate me to get extra overtime, seek out new income streams etc.

7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Part of it is keeping the motivation high to keep moving forward. I can honestly say I had alot of fun thinking about a first exotic for all these years. For me this isn't a dream but a reality in progress. I think all of us car guys can relate to that Justification for Education poster and opening your garage to see amazing choices.

Yes, a 360 and GT3 are slightly different but Ferrari would tell you a 360 should be just as at home on a track as the junior GT3 but of course the running costs are different like you said. However, both are more nimble than a Diablo and share the same high-rev low torque engine concept.

The thing all these cars have in common are prices and desireabilty to me. Just like with my last search, once you start driving cars thngs will come into focus but for the next 18-24 months they all still work.

I'm still getting used to the maintenace on exotics. I've already sent more on the Diablo in 6 months than I spent on my Porsche 996TT over 8 years.

So I know how great the specialty 911s are, but do I scratch the same itch again?

I like the R8 as a grown up's Gallardo, can daily drive it but still stand out.

8. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Its not significant, 35-40 minutes each way in Houston traffic.

9. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    35-40 minutes in Houston traffic = not traffic. :D

10. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #10 sherpa23, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
    Okay. Got it. Well, if it helps you make up your mind, my daily driver is a 2001 BMW 325 wagon with 130k on it. I like the idea of driving a nice car every day but I don't like the application of it. An older understated car lets you go anywhere, anytime. I had a 911 C4S for a while as my DD but I found myself borrowing my neighbors Camry for dates and such or another's SUV to carry things.

My inexpensive wagon solves all kinds of problems and if it's ever a nice day and I want to drive a nice car, I have a few to choose from plus I don't to worry about wear and tear on a nice car, drive in bad weather, etc. It just seems to make better sense financially, too.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I bought my little bug (Abarth) on a whim (never even drove one, and I knew I'd be able to change anything I didn't like about it) for 9K off sticker in March. It has turned out to be (with a few modifications) one of the most fun cars I have owned. You can pick up a decent one for well under 15K and if you want to throw another 4K at you will have a car that it a real blast to drive.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'd keep driving the 335, it's not like it'll be worth anything in 2 years anyway. My dd is an'01 740il with 150k miles. Nice, comfortable car that I enjoy spending time in and no worries about depreciation or where I park it (other than maybe whether it will fit). I've played around with other 'cool' cars as a dd but it never ended up being what I thought it would be. My favorite of those was probably a wrangler that I put 110k miles on, wish I still had that one but it got impractical once kids got into the picture.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There are a couple of potential issues with the 335, the turbo system is crap and if the top fails its a big dollar fix. Otherwise it has been a good daily for the past 6 years. And yes I don't care about dings with it.

Would love to have one of those 4 door Wranglers someday.

So I guess you would fall into the Option 3 camp.

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Are you referring to a Fiat 500 or something else?

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The wife loves Japanese SUVs so we have the big utility rig covered. Yeah, keep wondering if DDing a Turbo or R8 would be a bad idea from wear and tear.

Good to see you guys with 100k+ mile BMWs, but I worry about increased downtime as it ages.

16. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I would do a Turbo PDK as a DD. But the ZR1s have my attention, and at their price point look like a great value in a world class car. I have a hard time seeing a ZR1 as a DD, so I'd have a Bimmer around. Might as well be an M5.

So, for me it would be a $20K M5 and a $70K ZR1.

Or the Turbo PDK.

17. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Hmm, a chance to purchase something reliable, crazy fast and politically incorrect as a dd. Hellcat Charger ;). Bonus - park it anywhere without a concern...;).

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Work some magic, sell the bmw or keep it on life support and buy a 360 CS ASAP.

It'll be worth more in 2 years time, so any finance will work out in your favour. ;)

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Just went and looked at the Jay Leno review....4,400 lbs? Ugh, no thanks

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'd have to take a side job as a hitman to get anywhere close to a CS, or I figure at current saving levels, I'll have $160k in another 6 years...LOL

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    When ZR1s hit $50k in 3-4 years that will be a bargain, certainly do-able.

22. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Nothing wrong with delayed gratification. Keep your nose to the grindstone and save those pennies until you can actually get your dream car.

It sounds like you're already a few years out so there's nothing wrong with adding a few years to that.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    True, and I'm not opposed to waiting it out like I did this last time, but that would assume even if I wanted a CS, which I'd rather have a Scud (have driven two of those), that the pricing would remain flat for those 6 years which I don't believe it would.

24. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is a Fiat 500

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I rented a 500c for three weeks and it was a revelation ( outside of it being auto). I'd buy a C in a minute if my Saab died (which won't occur for another decade or thereabouts, Baby Blue is a tank!).
    Charger too heavy ? New Stang with IRS ?