FOMCO - keyless systems clueless? | FerrariChat

FOMCO - keyless systems clueless?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by staatsof, Nov 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 staatsof, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    This last week I rented three FOMOCO cars at the SF airport and every last one of them had faulty keyless ignition locking systems. The first two I could not get out of their lot because neither I or Budget could get the systems to work reliably. Either they would not start every other time because it didn't recognize the key FOB or the cars would not lock and unlock with the key FOB. Both were high end Taurus models. I have rented these before without incident as little as 4 months ago too?

So finally they gave me a Lincoln MKS and that at least got us off the lot. But then once I was in SF and parking for a restaurant I tested the locking and WTF it also would not lock or unlock the car. I could lock and unlock it manually. Starting also worked for the most part.

So for the first evening there I had to leave the car unlocked everywhere we went and that night at the motel.

The next morning we tested it repeatedly and it was fine from that point until the end of the trip.

So I was thinking perhaps the RF interference at the airport caused these cars to go wonky for a while? Neither Budget personnel nor myself could explain this. SDo this wasn't user error that I can identify.

We did have an iPad, Laptop, my phone and my wife's phone in the car but all were turned off. Her business Blackberry was on though. We also had all of these back in the car minus the iPad later on and everything worked just fine.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

2. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    212 views and no one has a clue as to what may be the explanation for this incident?

I find it a remarkable thing to have 3 cars in a row fall victim to this malfunction.

My nearly 10 year old Jag has some intermittent issues with the key FOB but not a total failure. Repeating an attempt while annoying usually succeeds and these cars were all less than a year old. One had 3K miles on it!

3. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    Could be as simple as battery in the fob needing to be replaced. None of the other electronics should cause interference, not should the airport.

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Three cars in a row within 45 minutes all have bad key FOB batteries? One was very low miles. The final one was completely fine A DAY AFTER we left the airport.

That strikes me as highly improbable and how would that explain the third car?

I was hoping someone had heard about something like this before.
    A simple weak battery is something we've probably all experienced.

5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    I dont understand why you had to leave the car unlocked? Why not just manually lock and unlock it with the key ???

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Ah ... because there is no key only a FOB.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Low battery as said previously. I'm assuming the right key was in the correct car.

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Yes they were all the correct FOBs. All three with low batteries?????

Very weird.

9. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    RF interference is a real possibility. I had a Corvette whose key fobs wouldn't work because of a nearby garage door opener receiver that was on the fritz.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Most likely logical answer.

Possibly something the OP was carrying in fact as the culprit. Barely got thru the initial problems then it was gone or turned off later...

SV

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Except that all of our devices were turned on so no RF transmission. ???
    Beyond that, if a cell phone or any other bluetooth/WIFI device can incapacitate 3 vehicles something is really wrong with that system since it's designed to automatically SYNCH (registered trademark) with those sorts of devices in the first place.

Not trying to be argumentative but really this is quite mysterious.

My SWAG is that unique RF experienced near the airport caused these systems to malfunction for an extended period of time. It must be a new phenomena because I've rented other Ford vehicles with similar systems there over the last 5 years and I have never experienced this.

12. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith

Doesn't explain your experience in SF tho...

SV

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    The logical answer is - IT'S A FORD!!! :D

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #14 staatsof, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I know. Residual effects? My wife's blackberry was back on by then.It's a mystery.

Of course there is this to contend with when you're in SF, Herb Caen referred to it as SF's giant roach clip LOL :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login