Thank You BMW NA! Customer for Life! | FerrariChat

Thank You BMW NA! Customer for Life!

Discussion in 'Other German' started by 88Testarossa, Dec 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Several years ago, I sold my Porsche Boxster S (after ten years) and bought a BMW 335i for a daily beater car.

I enjoyed the twin turbo Dinan-chipped 335i so much that I also bought a BMW X5 to haul the dog on vacations.

The X5 had a problem with the low pressure fuel pump, about $1,000 to repair at the dealer. The car only has 35,000 miles, but it's a 2008 and out of warranty, so I'm screwed right? No!

I googled BMW X5 low pressure fuel pump and low and behold, there was a voluntary recall on file with the NHTSA. Unfortunately, my dealer did not have that in their computer system.

I called BMW NA, explained the situation (very nice people, by the way) and they said they'd get it resolved in 3-5 days.

Meantime, I'm driving a brand new BMW 528 loaner and loving the car.

At 7:30pm tonight I get a call from BMW NA saying they called the dealer, authorized the repairs, and will cover the costs! I literally got a resolution in hours, not days. Fantastic.

This is how a manufacturer instills brand loyalty. I'm now thinking of buying a new 5 Series car to replace the 335i, which has been problem free.

Oh, and the interior parts on my BMWs are not sticky either.

Thank you BMW! I never got this kind of customer service from Ferrari or Porsche!

If you're thinking about buying a BMW, I can hook you up with a salesman in VA who's as honest and fair as they come, and he happens to own a Ferrari 348. He recently sold a BMW to a poster in the MIdatlantic region.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad you had a good experience. A lot boils down to dealers maybe too.

I'm not sure I'll own a BMW again, I may someday but not anytime soon. At first my dealer was great, then I began to notice an attitude of "you should be grateful we're servicing your car", it was always difficult to get a loaner (I had to schedule sometimes weeks in advance of service to lock one down), I should also mention if you drive a 3-series you get a 3-series or an x3, eventually they only supplied me something from Enterprise down the street.

Then while I was still under warranty they declared that no one other than those having service for multiple days were entitled to rentals. I got in a shouting match with the dealership manager about how ****ty their customer service is and that their entire business model was obviously set up by someone with low intelligence and had no idea how to operate a business. I'll also throw in the peeling interior bits that happened surprisingly quickly.

Now I have an Audi and the service is far superior. I can schedule the week of an get a loaner, and they loan me just about every car in the fleet and all I drive is a little A3.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Same experience here - I've been impressed, although my last three Audis haven't needed anything more than routine maintenance.

OP: Glad to hear the happy ending. In general I've had good experiences with Merc, BMW and Audi.

4. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    Jason - did you go to BMW Houston North?
    About 2 months ago I took my '99 528i there to get it aligned (thought it was sagging rear springs causing excess camber, wanted an "expert" opinion). After I checked in the service manager explained how he was brought on about 6 months ago, and how much he's had to rebuild the service organization due to his predecessors' neglect and ****ty attitude.
    Since he couldn't guarantee my car would be done that day (there were only 3 techs out of 30 or something that he wanted to work on my "classic") so gave me my choice of loaners; I picked a new 535d. Fun powerslider :)
    He called me later in the day on speakerphone with the tech in his office, who told me my rear ball joints were shot so it wouldn't stay in spec. They made me a quote with several options for the repair, totally understanding I probably wouldn't spend ~$4000 with them to do the work but spending a good amount of time on me anyway.
    I picked up my car (nicely washed) the next morning, and just installed $600 worth of OEM spec rear suspension parts myself last weekend.
    Anyway, sorry you had a bad experience it sounds like you weren't alone but things are apparently different there now.
    Glad the OP got satisfaction. BMW NA isn't always so kind on out of warranty work. Just ask all the E39 owners with bad VANOS seals that BMW refuses to correctly fix or assist in any way other than selling new $700 units that will fail again....

5. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Tex, sorry for your misfortune. Good choice on the Audi A3. We have LOTS of dealers in the DC region, so it's not a dealer problem, per se. BMW NA earned my future business.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Glad to hear the manager was straight up with you. I had always heard good things about bmw north so im surprised to hear it wasn't run well. The last dealer I went to while I had the 335 was the dealer on I10 (bmw west I think ) and I did feel a little bit frienfriendlier atmosphere, although I had always heard they were terrible to deal with.

I bought my bmw at bmw midtown. My dad was there to help me through the process since it was my first new car buying experience and he was impressed at the time.

I'll note that my car wouldn't start Friday (probably the best possible day for that) and I called sewells road side assistance, my dad picked me up and took me to their house so I could drive my mom's car to work and my dad waited for the tow truck. They said they'd arrive around 9:01 and my dad said they were damn near spot on time wise. He also said the tow truck guy seemed very professional and was impressed.
    Sorry to rain on your positive thread and understanding my pov.:)

It does weigh on me though because the new 4 series are so good looking. Saw a black on black 435 this morning and it was so sexy.

7. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    My Northern NJ BMW dealer maintained a fleet of 75...yup, that's SEVENTY FIVE loaner cars.

Aside from the amount of capital tied up, the logistics are mind boggling.

I'm just sayin...

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    so BMW issued a recall on their cars, gave you a loaner while they fixed it and your jumping for joy....

am i missing something here ?

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Al,

Go see Chip or Jim Sabo at BMW of Fairfax, great guys to deal with and I know you have a friendship with Chip already. They have a large stock of BMW's, plus BMW has huge rebates on any 2014 model left, like $8K off on the 530! Search for a 2014 model!