Value of the Moal Aerocoupe? | FerrariChat

Value of the Moal Aerocoupe?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Long Beach Pride, Dec 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I know this is by-in-Large a Ferrari forum, but I also know a lot of us are just car Nuts and Gear-Heads.

I'm not really into Hot Rods like the Deuce Coupe or other similar cars that have had the same massaging - old car that are modified to death. Being born and raised in Southern California These cars are Cliché (PERIOD). That and older folks 55 and older who drive the newer Corvettes, C5/C6 and now C7 and wear `Vette Windbreakers with short grey beards.

Actually I'm having a bit of fun with this group of folks. I am all for anything for expression and anything to move our hobby forward. But I must admit I'm getting really sick of the term "RESTOMOD"! What makes a Restomod? And also the quality of the Resto or the Mod - who is to say?

But I'm all for moving the hobby and the passion for it forward.

Which brings me to the following... the MOAL Aerocoupe. That car is an work of art. For those like me who follow Auctions Bonhams, RM, Mecum on and on et al.

My big question is what would, as a Lay-person, you believe the Aerocoupe would be Valued at or could bring at Auction? And I know both of those could vary widely. How much the guy who owns the car now spent on the bill who knows? But for me this a $20mm Ferrari 250. I doubt I would ever go beyond or even near at auction those prices for those prices. Privately I could see wiring between $300K - $500K for the car... or maybe just a tad more / who knows (?).

Since I'm on my cell phone at the moment it makes it difficult manipulating pictures so for the time being I will just link to Google Images.

moal aerocoupe - Google Search

Moal, the guy who built the car is well known for his work in "The Scene" and actually works with his Customer's on what they want. It, rest in Piece Boyd, going to Boyd Coddington's shop, asking him what you wanted and 6 or months later 'BAM' here's your Boydster - even though you asked for something completely different.

Any positive thoughts or valuations or what would you be to pay for it? Please no smart ass responses, this is not 6 speed online and know that this website has a much higher level of Dignity and Respect. Thank You...

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I can't even begin to try to put a price on the Aerocoupe. All of Moal's creations are fantastic. They are even better in person than pictures. The attention to detail is insane.

The owner of the Aercoupe has a few other Moal cars including my favorite, the Torpedo. He brings them out to C&C in VA. The Torpedo is the one that is brought the most frequently.

3. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    So then you are an initiate to "The Moal Mission"?

One of Moal's other creations is the Gatto, love the styling. But putting a Ferrari V12 the Torpedo.. atta boy - that's the way to do it.

4. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    It's almost impossible to put a figure on a piece of work that somebody like Moal does. Once upon a time cars like that were just cars that somebody built and they weren't worth much at all, despite the amount of work that went into them. Now they are pretty much like a piece of art and probably will appreciate accordingly. That's particularly true now that builders like Moal and Coddington have gotten notoriety and fame. I think that when you consider how much they cost to build and what goes into them you would have to value them in the $300 to $500k range, but since I'm not spending that kind of money on one that's pretty much academic. The real question is, are these true classics just because they weren't built back in the 50's? And that's a really hard question. If one were to come up at auction then we would know, but until then it's really hard to say.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll bet it goes for 1.5 to 2.5 million. That is quite a car, one one in the world, and built by a quality builder.

6. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I will take that as the best valuation. You get two bidders with the money in the same room and want it bad enough; well then...

But for insurance reasons on that car, wonder what three different professionals who value cars for insurance reasons would put at the double underlined bottom line. But in general those valuations are based on how much it would cost recreate the car.

My uncle has a 30 Ford and 36 Chevy hot rods, each valued over $100K for insurance. I doubt either one could fetch over $25K or more at auction. Would be surprised if the cars could just due to redundancy of both cars in the market place. Of course each Car is reel steel and all chassis bits are original, just heavily modified to where they are today. Truthfully I would rather have each in original condition and take them to preservation class car meets. Seems like lately dirt on a car is worth money and the close to the original owner the car can be bought the better. Reminds me of a dirtless NART Ferrari 250 that sold not too long ago.

But I like the explanation given.

7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    My thoughts as well. I bet it costs a pretty penny to have him build a car. Same with Foose.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #8 Devilsolsi, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I don't know if it's from watching Overhaulin' but he reminds me too much of Coddington. Granted Foose has worked on all sorts of cars because of that show. With Boyd it was which version of a Boydster you want me to build for you today?

But I will admit Foose has talent and has the training. Boyd just came from the day and he made more money selling his wheels than modifying cars.
    That and the editing for American Hotrod it always made it seemed too hostile to work there, or 'who's getting fired this week' - there was always an Air of negativity in that show which made me not like it.

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I always heard Boyd was an awful person.

Several of his employees ended up over with Foose. Sure that pissed him off even more.

11. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    I know Mike, the guy who worked for Boyd and got fired for doing some work for Foose. Knew him from posting on BBS systems back in the 2400 Baud days. But I haven't talked to him for like 20 years now.

I wonder what Enzo would think of the Torpedo. Looks like an odd period two seat F1 car. Even bet anybody Fangio could take that car and win Monaco in the 50s. Though there is nothing like the sound of an BRM V16. Such small displacement, so many cylinders.