i need a dd...m3 or c63? | FerrariChat

i need a dd...m3 or c63?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ferraripete, Dec 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I am looking for a dd. does anyone have experience with the m3 or c63 model years 2009-2013? looking for a low mile car that would be in as new condition that would be entertaining to drive and reliable. it would replace a 5 series.

what do you all think?

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Vanquish.

you're welcome.

(my preference would be towards the C63)

3. ferraripete

vanquish...INDEED!

I need 4 doors to replace the old car.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    C63 for sure, or E63 if the C isn't big enough.

5. ferraripete

is the c63 a decent car beyond the sweet lump? I like the big brakes too but was curious if the car is similar to the m3 in build quality? is the c63 built in Germany or in the good ole us of a?

6. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Just throwing another option out there, CPO Lexus ISF. I'm jaded since I picked one up in July of this year however, plenty of power for the street (417), Lexus build quality and entertaining enough (for me) to drive on a daily basis. It's heavy but really for the street, loads of fun imo.

7. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    As much as I love BMW, the M3 isn't as fun a DD because you have to rev it so high to hit the sweet spot.

Blech, I can't believe I just said that.

8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #8 PhilNotHill, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How bout an Audi RS5

450 hp na V8. Lots of high tech gizmos. 8250 red line. Barks on down shifts. Automotive music indeed.

Works for me.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seating in the rear for C class merc's is non existant. BMW I don't know, but the C class was pathetic inside.

If it's for kids it's fine, or if you yourself are quite short, but please double check...

It does sound absolutely awesome though, that car.

10. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    I've had a 2008 C63 and now drive a 2009 C63. Wonderful car as DD and I have never had any reliability problems with the cars, except an antennae that was replaced under warranty on my 1st car. I just had a recall performed for a tail light replacement, but also totally covered by MB. The C63 AMG is 100% made in Germany. The engine is hand built and signed by one mechanic in Alfalterbach, Germany (AMG headquarters). From the A pillar forward, the C63 is a completely different car than the normal C class, as it is both wider and longer to accommodate the Large 6.2 L NA V8 and to provide a wider track for better handling. The C63 will sometimes take the place of my Ferrari on back roads drives with groups of other exotics. It notice lye smaller and more nimble than an E63 AMG or BMW M5, hence a lot dinner to drive through the bends than the bigger Germans. The C63 is the last NA non turbo in the AMG lineup. Your only problem will be the amount of gas and tire cost that you may accrue from the lead foot that will give you a smile going to work everyday.

11. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    C63 or perhaps a CTS-V?

12. ferraripete

thank you for all of the responses. I will begin looking after the holidays.

13. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    cts-v is the roomiest of the options mentioned, though obviously not one of your core two choices. Without driving c63 I'd go m3 just beause it looks more 'special' in my opinion, especially in sedan form with the flared fenders. I can count on my hand how many m3 sedans I've seen.

14. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    This is exactly opposite to what I see. just driving to work, I see several M3's a week, sometimes several every day. The C63 is much rarer than the M3, as I rarely see another one around. You can't really go wrong with either car depending on your taste. The C63 is much more powerful than the M3, hence more usable, easily harnessed daily driver (stoplight to stoplight, freeway passing) power. The C63 has more luxury and better stereo system for DD use. The M3 is the better track car, better handling and better dual clutch transmission (better for track duty and track times).

15. LINDW4LL

LINDW4LL Karting

Apr 15, 2012
    WI <--> NC
    Full Name:
    Hayden
    C63 > M3 in my opinion. Most notably, the C63 has gobs of torque on demand and doesn't need to be strung out like the M3. It's also less common than the M, at least in my region.

Look into a 2012+ as they got the updated front fascia, interior, and MCT transmission.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

16. Long Beach Pride

Mar 13, 2014
    Long Beach Ca
    Full Name:
    Alfred E. Neumen
    Sometimes having too much Torque isn't the best thing to have unless you own your own tire shop and just like shredding the crap out of rubber and perform power slides like Jeremy Clarkson. AMG finally got the Torque right with the SLS. Their Black Series GT has less Torque. They didn't up it to tow the titanic like so many AMG motors before. Now I love Torque just as much as the next person but sometimes you have to put your foot down and say "enough". Heck Torque is what made the Buick Grandnational and GNX a Mustang eater, of course speaking comparatively for the era in time.

As stated above give Audi a look and I dare say a Cady CTS-V - I like the wagon. But I am just strange that way!

17. ferraripete

I was able to look at the m3...quite nice. build quality seems very nice and I could see this being a solid and fun dd. I am having trouble locating a c-63. I am going to be looking at a 2013 lexus isf w/ 6k miles...said to be as new. I am adding the lexus to the search on the recommendation of wanast from this site as well as the previous post of futureowner. I imagine the performance will be similar to the bmw and the reliability may be as good or better.

18. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Good luck with the search. I will say on the street the ISF will be every bit as good as the BMW, on the track though the M3 will win. All depends on your usage, the good news is that there isn't a "bad" choice in the bunch!

19. loxx

loxx Rookie

Nov 30, 2014
    Northeast USA
    Full Name:
    Chris Gregg
    I'd say the C63 will let you down from an interior standpoint. It does not compare to the M3 in that regard. It feels quite cheap for a Merc. BMW has done a good job making the more recent 3 series feel premium, especially ///Ms. The suspension in the C63 is a lot more harsh than I expected. You may see that as a good thing, or bad. I personally liked it. It also makes you feel like you're driving something truly special. It's a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The M3 is more of a do-all car in my opinion. Interior room seems a lot better, but as others have said, that V8 needs to be wringed out to truly get the most from. If you treat it the way it was meant to be treated though, it will reward you with lots of smiles and aural enjoyment :)

For me, the main letdowns for the C63 are a lack of manual trans, and the interior. The interior is far from bad, but it's a letdown coming from the kinds of cars many of us are used to driving. You'll forget all about it as soon as you fire up that fantastic lump!

It's a very tough choice... but I think they're different enough that if you drive the two back to back and you'll know which one is for you.

20. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    <bump> Any updates? Curious what your opinions of the Lexus were.

21. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Not a helpful comment, but we have a C63, M3 sedan, two S5's, and two ISF's in the parking garage here at work and think they all look awesome!

22. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    Can't go wrong. Part of me has buyers remorse for not going with the C63 due to the awesome torque with relatively small rear tires. They both get terrible gas mileage, but the Merc has horrible resale value and its hard to find one of them with the LSD option, so I went with the E90 M3. Be aware that the BMW V8 is prone to rod bearing issues.

23. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Same with the V10.
    You would think that BMW would have figured this out before they went into production of this scale.

My son HAS to have a V8 M3 and he deserves it.
    We'll find one with a 100K warranty and resell it at 95K.

24. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My MB spent a lot of time in the shop after 7 years old/70k miles. Got expensive, too. Great life lesson early on. I've gravitated towards cheaper and more reliable DD's ever since!

25. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    What model?

Since I sold my '99 Miata and purchased my BMW 525i (which I like a lot) I have been missing performance. Although I do have a project car to slowly work on for that "weekend warrior" so to speak, that is years away. I do not want to lose the luxury of a great DD like my BMW but I want one that will haul butt thus I am thinking about a '09 C63 AMG. I found one not far from my house that has only 68K miles and is just under $30K so I will be test driving it next week just so I can familiarize myself with the vehicle so I can see if the C63 suits me.

Although I am about 2yrs out from being ready to purchase I can hope that the market prices drops a few thousand and I can score a sweet low mileage example, if it suits me of course.