I need some advice on how to buy a car and have it shipped | FerrariChat

I need some advice on how to buy a car and have it shipped

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by trademarked, Dec 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trademarked

trademarked Rookie

Nov 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    I think I've identified a car I'd like to purchase, but it's with a private seller 2200 miles away. My bank offered me a loan at a reasonable rate and is promising that their side will be easy. The seller has the title in hand. I need to figure out how to coordinate everything and then get the car to a shipper. The best shipping quote I've seen so far is $900, but it's not just rate shopping that's concerning, it's the entire coordination that's a little bit stressful.

I figured a lot of people on this forum may have been through the same thing, so any advice is appreciated!

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have used reliable carriers on four cars that I have bought. These were all out of state and in one case 4 hour drive in the state I lived in at the time.

I found them to be professional and they took very good care of my car. They pick up at a private home or a dealer and deliver the car to your front door. I have used them for exotics to super-cars and even my 1954 Corvette.

The truck they use hold 6 to 8 cars. So you can do better on price if they are making a run from the general location of your car and to your direction home. This may delay when you get the car but may be worth the delay because the cost can be less.

I hope you had the car inspected by someone who know the model.

Good luck and enjoy your new car.

Lee

3. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    You can't go wrong with Reliable Carriers. And they will hand your cashier's check to the seller in exchange for the car, so you don't have to worry about the seller cashing your check and hopping a flight to Brazil.

From a financial standpoint, the easiest way, IMO, is to open a line of credit in the required amount and have your bank issue a cashier's check against that. Once you get the car, you can convert the credit line into a conventional term loan. The interest rate on the line of credit will likely be on the steep side, but it really doesn't matter since you'll be converting it to a term loan within a few weeks at most.

I wouldn't even think about buying a car from a long distance, private seller without a PPI. This site is replete with horror stories from members who have made that mistake. If you need the name of a reliable shop in the area where the car is located, post your request for recommendations in the relevant region on this site and ask for replies via Private Message (PM). The locals will take care of you.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

4. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    given that this isnt the honda civic forum, sound like a $$$$ car.

i am pretty picky and OCD. unless you can find someone local you trust that has the same eye - you'll need to get a flight.

nothing worse than shelling out some big cash and getting disappointed.