Best fun car with 4 seats for under $20K? | FerrariChat

Best fun car with 4 seats for under $20K?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by nathandarby67, Jan 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    I am looking for input on selecting my next automotive tool. I've got two young sons who both love cars, ages 1 and 4 years old. We have an Audi Q7 for long distance and family hauling activities, and I've got an FJ Cruiser that is my usual daily driver and can carry all four of us if need be. So I'm looking for something that would be fun for me to drive but that could carry the whole family for ice cream runs, quick trips around town, etc. All of my current operable (key word) fun cars are pure two seaters, so I find this really tends to limit how much I use them. If we are running to the local Mexican restaurant, it's kind of ridiculous for us to take two vehicles just so I can drive the 355 or MG. All that said, I need a vehicle that checks all of the following boxes:

1) Under $20K.
    2) Back seats that can fit small children.
    3) Fun/sporty to drive.
    4) Somewhat interesting, neat, rare, unique, etc (I realize this is relative in the under $20K category).
    5) Modern enough to have decent heat, AC, and be usable and reliable enough to be a semi-daily driver.
    6) Preferably be something that won't lose half its value in 12 months. So no brand new Subaru BRZ's.

So far, my ideas have included the Porsche 996, Fiat Abarth, Audi TT (1st and second gen), Jaguar XKR. I would love to hear feedback from anyone that can compare any of these models, or also any other ideas on cars I have not thought of. I am open to any and all suggestions!

***I already have a Mondial that is awaiting some recommissioning work (probably be a year or so until I get to it), so don't want another of those right now even though it would meet most of my above criteria.

Long term, I think I want to pick up a used DB9, 456, Bentley CGT, or Granturismo to use in this role. So ideally I will keep this cheap under $20K car for 6-12 months, then sell it and roll that into something in the $50-60K range.

2. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Audi tt has 4 seats?

3. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  4. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    #4 mtmilam, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'll go off on a flyer here and say, Triumph Stag...you can buy a nice restored one for 12K....4 seats, AC, Rare, V8 engine ...very fun cars ....Make sure you get one that is all restored though, not worth putting money into one, although they have held their value at around 12K for years, if they are nice.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Maserati Coupe....do a little haggling ;)

we all know they have gigantic rear seats, providing plenty of room for kids and their car seats.

Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa | eBay

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    e39 m5. I was very close to buying one myself, but ended up with a sport package e38 7 series instead as I wanted the extra room. But, that car should tick all the boxes and I may still get one at some point.

7. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
  8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Bingo.

E39 M5 might even answer the question "Best sedan ever made?".

I also have a e38 740i Sport. Amazing car.

9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Porsche 928
    BMW 8 series
    Toyota Supra

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Damn,I had no idea. That's cool.

Coupes in general always look better than verts to me.

When I was a claims adjuster I talked to lady that had two, her and her husbands. They absolutely loved them.

11. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe

This.

12. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    M3 E36 or M5 E39.

13. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #13 Dolcevita, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    I know a guy with 9 kids who just got himself a TT coupe. I didn't realize they had back seats either. As long as the kiddies are small, no problem. He is 6'-4" and fits in the front. So lots of room for the pilot and co-pilot.

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Audi S5, V8 from 2008 - 2012, available with 6 speed manual, still the best looking coupe on the market. Early ones might be near $20K now.

Mazda RX-8 if you want a bit lighter, smaller, more fun to drive - like a big Miata. Find a newer one, if it already has a replaced remanufactured engine even better. The back seat on an RX-8 will seat 6 foot adults.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Jan 2, 2015
    A rag-top Wrangler? Great fun... just hop in and go. An awesome gopher truck as well and completely different than the FJ.

The kids will love it!

16. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I know of a great deal on an Abarth. :)

17. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    #17 nathandarby67, Jan 2, 2015

:D

It's on the list, for sure. I need to drive one to see how I like it.

Lots of great ideas so far in this thread. I like the Stag, Maserati, and RX8 ideas for sure. I know the BMW's mentioned are very likely the best cars out of all the choices, but I can't make myself lust after one, try as I might. They just don't do much for me emotionally I guess. There is a local 996 I am going to look over closely this Sunday, but I'm just not sold on that option. 928 is intriguing idea too...those have aged really well and come full circle if you ask me.

I'd love a cool old Jag Mk II, and would put up with no AC for it, but decent ones haven't been under $20K in a while.

18. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Since no one has mentioned it, a 2003 or newer XK8/XKR would fit the bill, particularly as the replacement will be a 456 or Continental and you mentioned an affinity towards Mark 11s. Goes without saying it offers a plethora of car due to the wonderful depreciation curve. IMS/RMS would keep me away from any non turbo 996, 928 electrical issues are annoying and a reliable Stag is someone's imagination..;).

Love the Abarth option though. Great cars.

19. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I felt similarly about bmw's until I drove a couple of them...

20. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Porsche 968?

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #21 Wade, Jan 3, 2015
    I feel the same way about German cars, they just don't get my attention for some reason. However, an exception is the 944.

22. Christian Sasfai

Dec 31, 2012
    Heath, Texas
    Full Name:
    Christian Sasfai
    #22 Christian Sasfai, Jan 3, 2015
    I second the Jeep Wrangler. I just bought one for my son for Christmas (photo is Christmas day, pre modifications). However, after driving the thing for a few days, I told him he's out of luck as it looks like it'll be my new toy. I am amazed how the Wranglers hold their value. I was looking for a $5,000 project car and ended up spending way more than that because the only $5,000 projects are still at the bottom of a lake. In the end, for about $15,000, I'll have a super clean, modern (2004 model year) four seater that is fun and needed nothing but an oil change. It came with both hard and soft tops then we added new wheels, 33" tires, 4" lift kit, rock crawler bumpers, and a winch, so it looks as cool as it is fun.

23. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    W210 E55 or CLK55 - Euro muscle cars
    05-06 Cayenne TT with coolant pipe addressed. You may like it enough to sell TLC as well
    06 Audi S6 V8 Avant

24. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Mini Cooper S JCW R53

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Jaguar XKR, but the seats are tiny with no legroom in either convertible or coupe form. 996 Porsche 911 should be around $20k, but has the same problem with the seats.

How about a 6-series BMW? They have depreciated down to the $20k-ish level, and have more rear seat room. You can find them with a traditional manual as well, which is a plus in my book. Assuming of course you like the looks...

M-B CLK63 convertible might be down to that price point these days.

Other more masochistic choices would be Jaguar XJS, or an M-B CL55 or CL600 from 2003-06.