Vintage transporter | FerrariChat

Vintage transporter

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by TOOLFAN, Jan 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
    I know this is might be a bit of a stretch but I'm after a vintage race car transporter, and being that Fchat has some very knowledgeable members on a great many subjects, I figured this would be a good place to start. Something along lines of the Fiat 642 Bartoletti, is what I'm looking for. I'm not looking for something that necessarily transported Ferrari team cars or F1 cars. Just a vintage transporter. The brand and condition are not important, although I would prefer a Fiat truck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
  3. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California
  4. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Michael - are you familiar with the forum on Atlas F1 regarding Historic Transporters?
    I use to follow it; tremendous wealth of images, recollections & notes. I believe there may even have been a classified section.....

Also scan Prewar Car dot com; there are often old trucks/transporters listed there. Often some interesting UK transporters there.

Also scan the BaT archives; there have been a few transporters pass across there.

I am contemplating creating my own retro-transporter, based on an early '50's ALF quad cab fire truck. Big difference for me; my transporter will be carrying a fully restored 27 ft. Riva Tritone mahogany speedboat.

Good luck in your search.

5. TOOLFAN

TOOLFAN F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2005
    California

James, your project sounds awesome. We're obviously looking at doing something a little pedestrian than you, hauling Ferraris. I've looked at the the Nostalgia forum in the past (no pun intended) but I have yet to find a 'real' transporter for sale. It's a lot of "oh you just missed this" or "5 years ago we sold..." These transporters seem to be very far and few in between. Initially we wanted just a 642, but that proved to be nearly impossible to find, so we widened the search and then widened it again. Hopefully the right multi-car transporter will come up soon, or someone can help direct me to one for sale, but it's been a difficult piece to find. Like I said the condition doesn't really matter as long as we can make something cool in the end.