Is the BMW M5/6 in V10 the best deal in performance sedans ? | FerrariChat

Is the BMW M5/6 in V10 the best deal in performance sedans ?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by LightGuy, Jan 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    My son has been looking for a used 2011 to 2013 M3 in the older V-8 version with the DCT tranny.
    These things are not cheap !
    About 50K to 55K for a decent used one.

Just for grins I pulled up the M5s and M6s in comparison and found that a low mile manual in the earlier years of 2008 or 2009 can be had for < $40K. Sometimes <$30K.

While looking at a nearby M3 the sales guy "talked me into" testing a V-10 SMG M5. WOW !
    Now this particular car was priced in the 70's but I would think the 08s and 09s are pretty much the same beast.
    I don't trust the SMG anyhow for the long term and IMO the manual is more connected.

2. RockinIt

RockinIt Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Budget not really between maintenance costs and fuel consumption have put a lot of downward pressure on the prices. I would also add that the interior is rather dated and you are correct in not trusting the Smg that would be in the v10 model I have seen replacement cost in the 20 thousands, the dcts in the v8 and newer models are much better.

3. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Careful with the V10s because maintenance costs can be very expensive. The SMG sucked, from what I have read. Never drove one...

4. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Personally, I wouldn't look at one of those E60 M5s or that gen M6.

If you're going to take a risk at least go with an E39 or E46 via Enthusiast Auto Group. They charge top dollar but I know two people who have had great experiences dealing with them.

FYI, they don't negotiate. I walked on a cash offer I made because they didn't want to budge even the slightest.

Good luck to you and your son! Whatever he gets I am sure it will be fun!

5. stuntman

stuntman Karting

May 23, 2005
    West Palm, FL
    I love the E60 M5 and daily drove one for a couple months. The motor is amazing and once uncorked, there aren't too many cars that sound better. It doesn't say much, but blowing the doors off a 360 Modena with 2 passengers was pretty cool.

The V10 suffers from the same rod bearing issues as the E46 & E9X M3's and the electrical gremlins of the M5 can easily diminish your bank account. It's a crapshoot. Some cars have no issues with a ton of mileage while others are cursed from the day they leave the dealership (or the warranty runs out). Because of that I went with an E90 M3 under warranty.

6. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah I'd be careful treading around the S85 engine given the rod bearing issue. Not uncommon to see a thread popup with that on the M5 forums. Sad because I really love that engine. I haven't followed it too much, but I think the theory is the bearings were made with too tight of tolerances and have a higher rate of failing early.

7. Sikorsky

Sikorsky Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    Barrie ON
    Full Name:
    Levi SMYTH
    This ...... 100%. The V10 powered cars are unbelievably maintenance intensive. You couldn't give me one of those things.

However, after owning a 2001 E39 M5, I can't say enough about them. Fantastic cars, last of the true BMWs and built at the end of the period when BMW made real cars. Dead reliable, decent mileage when driven with a light foot, plenty of power when needed and a real sleeper. It's the only car I've had that has received thumbs up from Porsche, Ferrari and Lamborghini drivers while tootling through traffic.

The stuff that BMW produces nowadays is a watered down version of a once great car company.

Find a mint, unmodified and well serviced E39 M5 and you'll be a happy camper.

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    Smallish gas tank / mileage.... Makes for frequent refueling in the vten mfive

9. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I shopped for about a year between E39 and E60 M5's, and ended up with a 2003 E39. It is AWESOME. Extremely fun, well built car. Good examples can be had for around $20K-$25K. Leaves a lot of $$$ over for maintenance.

10. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
  11. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    +1

You, my friend, couldn't have said it better!

The only BMWs I still like are the Ms and even they're starting to wear on me...

12. rpps

rpps Formula 3

Aug 20, 2005
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Richard
    An '03. Wow, that's killer.

Please tell me you acquired a Stratus example...?

13. NousDefions

NousDefions F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2009
    NC
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Mine is Sterling Gray, which I believe is similar.

14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    It is the best deal together with the V1O Audi RS6 sedan and station wagon version too. This is a big dilemma though. I would go for the M5. It is a beast, N/A and a very stable car.

I wish you the best with the purchase.

:)

15. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I just did a search for "BMW V10 rod bearings"

NOT GOOD.

16. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    With all of these problems mentioned, I find it hard to believe that many of these cars with the V-10 and SMG will be worth much in the future as collectibles due to the over the top repair bills.

17. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    If you would consider a 2008 or 2009 M5, why not a 2008, 2009 or 2010 M3?

With M3 you have no vanos time bombs and no SMG time bombs, etc. that come with M5 ownership.

I'd go with a 2009+ M3. If you're looking at 2011 just for the competition package, keep in mind it's just different wheels (also heavier), about 10mm drop and revised traction control. Not a big difference IMO.

18. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Someone here in another thread said BMW changed the DCT set up in 2011. Dont really know but since my son wants a low milage CPO one anyhow it may as well be 2011, 12, or 13.
    Competition package started in 2011 ? Learn something new every day. Thanks.

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    It is the same getrag 7spd DCT in every 2008-2013 M3.

But yeah if you want CPO, etc. you'll have to buy newer.

20. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    CTS-V is a very good option if you're shopping E60 & E92.

21. Sfiga

Sfiga Karting

Jan 23, 2014
    The M6 is much better than the M5 to drive. If you love a good engine note I'd get it. The SMG in it is a lot better (driving wise) than the E46 M3 Smg.

22. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

23. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I've always wondered why an original owner (or dealer...less likely) would configure the sport red/black or blue/black interiors with wood trim. It looks completely out of place. My favorite E39 M5 color combo excluding Individual trim is the LeMans blue on blue/black interior with aluminum trim. For me, it's always understood to get the aluminum, but I've see quite a few with the wood and it's always a curve ball imo...

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Stay away from these things. Vanos sprocket failures, 6k, SMG pump failures 10k, spark ionization modules 1200, oil leaks, cooling system problems, idle actuators, etc.

The car is not worth it. Look for something else. They are a lemon.

Also stay well away from any turbo charged BMW V8. Timing chain and ring issues. Dealer has them lined up. And don't fall for the "customer care package".

25. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert