X5 | FerrariChat

X5

Discussion in 'Other German' started by boxerman, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody here have a new X5 5.0. Tried one today and it seemed pretty good.
    Ride comfort a priority, any ideas about the different suspension setups.

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    If I am not mistaken, they are not trail rated;-)

Actually in seriousness I found them to be a nice DD.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    get the diesel. you'll thank me every time you fill up :)

great cars...trucks...whatever. the one I drove had the sports package and giant (21 inch?) wheels and handled like a 5 series.

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I'm a big BMW fan but I just couldn't warm up to the X5 when we were looking for an SUV. I thought the Jeep Grand Cherokee (Overland or Summit versions) was a lot better than the X5 in every aspect for much less money.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Stay away from those until the next model year or 2. They are having terrible engine issues. Oil consumption problems (rings) and timing chain issues.

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have 2014 Jeep GC Summit and even my BMW dealer thought it was amazing for the price and it does everything well. I have a V8 and in sport mode with the paddle shifters it goes pretty well and has a nice exhaust note too!

7. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Tried the jeep, thought the ride on our crappy NE potholed roads was harsh in the rear.
    Maybe there isa different spec.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The roads are not that much better around Philly and I think it handles them well and it came with a 20" wheel and tire package. Give it another shot I paid 49k for it and it listed for 55 something. You cannot get all this this thing has in the X5 for under 65K

9. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've got the previous generation. Diesel. I've driven a new one a fair amount.
    I love the look of the 20" and 21" wheels and I've got 20's. I think it makes the ride suck compared to the smaller wheel sizes. In any of the sizes I'd strongly recommend getting s a spare and staying away from run flats.

The new diesel is fantastic and it's great to go 500 miles on a tank of fuel. If you work the numbers it's pretty hard to justify the diesel with it being .75-$1 higher per gallon. still nasty to fill up.