In Memorium | FerrariChat

In Memorium

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Solid State, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #1 Solid State, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just spent some time visiting the various forums on FChat and tried to contribute something worthy as usual. Then I came across a discussion of the French movie ‘The Rendezvous’ which is an infamous ten minute movie from back in the day. The thread was interesting enough to make me want to see the short film. Luckily toward the end of the thread someone posted an active link to the film. It was a great piece about a very ‘spirited’ early morning drive in France in what was rumored to be a 275/4 cam. The thread went on debating the authenticity of the said Ferrari soundtrack. Was it a real Ferrari or perhaps a Mercedes, etc. Seems the debate will rage on forever. The thing is, the film’s entire soundtrack is just the sound of a marvelous performance engine driven in anger. No dialogue.

Then I visited the hyper-car forum on FChat where there is a mega thread on the LaF vs. 918 vs. P1. You know the one. Everyone thumping their chests on which is the fastest car and why their choice is superior.

Which made me think back to that short film and it occurred to me, again, that every single hyper-car made is some form of turbo-hybrid-electric concoction. You can’t make an entire film using just the soundtrack from any of them. The fight is over. I give up. The modern age of electric gadgetry with garbage for sound is the reality. And like my friend Chief Iron Eyes Cody below, I shall shed a single tear. By the way, seems the Chief from the famous 70’s eco commercial, is 100% Italian and just as fake as the soundtrack in ‘The Rendezvous’ or as fake as the new hyper-cars. Fitting.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Fortunately/unfortunately, performance at the levels that makes headlines today requires some kind of electric propulsion. You can't use an old iron lump, manual clutch/gearbox, etc., and touch any of the latest hardware. The 918/LaFerrari are the state of the automotive art.

It doesn't really bother me. There's the vintage/classic world, which gives you the soundtrack, oil leaks, manual steering/brakes/clutch, etc. Tremendous fun. No performance bragging rights, but for the most part ... who cares.

3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I guess just me.

The sound is as important as the power to me. Electric motors and batteries versus NA V12 - no brainer. Glad I've got the F12 but pity the brand for choosing to loose the sound in the future. Its just impossible to pop the hood and admire a battery or an electric motor. It took 150 years to get the NA combustion engine to be so powerful, efficient, and reliable. And now we toss it aside at its pinnacle and begin again with something so expensive, inefficient and without soul.

4. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I love that video. Everyone does. And the soundtrack is so lovely.

The electrics are the future though. And I'm embracing it because I know it is best for our society and the future of our society. I drove a Tesla yesterday, and can't wait till I get one.

I love the sound of motors. Don't get me wrong. I drove my 550 SS over to Cavallino and back. Going convertible both ways. With the song from Rush, Red Barchetta in my head all weekend.

I analyzed motorsport for some time. I think it's the sights and importantly, the sounds, that are attractive. In addition to the competition. ... I wonder what the sport would be without the sound.

While you comment on the current cars as being "souless", I'll refrain from comment on that. Preferring instead to say that it's my belief that it is sound for the future of humanity.

We are highly dependent on transportation. We should seek sustainable transportation. Even if we'll miss the sounds. Which we likely will.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Easy boy! That eco nonsense means nothing to me. This thread is about hyper-cars using electric motors to go FASTER not cleaner (LaF). The Tesla is so repulsive to me it actually has negative soul! I'm not discussing commuter cars here. You want to save the plant - go ride a bike or walk to work - won't make a difference to me. When I put down the better part of half a million dollars it better have twelve high test burning pistons making a lot of sweet noise and make me feel alive and wonderful and be a special part of my life. That's why there is a FChat and why we are here.

6. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT

Wow, it's early in the year but above post has every chance of being the most obnoxious, rude, self centered and outright stupid post of 2015. Sorry to be that blunt but I just can't help it.

7. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Buy a vintage/classic car. Problem solved.

I don't understand why people insist that new high-end cars continue to use old, inferior technologies. I would love to have a Porsche 918 in the garage, next to my 356, and a LaFerrari to park next to the 308. Different cars, different eras, different experiences.

Also don't understand your comment about "not cleaner". The 918/La Ferrari are probably the fastest road cars on the planet. I would be bored by a Prius. I would kill for a drive in a 918. If it doesn't dump a bunch of toxic gases into the atmosphere, that's obviously a plus.

8. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    What are you really angry about?

9. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    #9 davidoloan, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Maybe re-read the thread.

11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Honestly, cars today are just too fast to enjoy on city streets. You cannot drive them in anger or you will lose your license in a week. It's like you are constantly trying to figure out how far you can go without being arrested.

I feel today's super cars are like trying to hit a thumbtack with a sledgehammer. Overkill.

And, if you really want a track car... get a real track car, not a GT that sort of goes fast as you pretend to drive the Monaco GP in your Walter Mitty brain.

What engineers need today is to come up with cars that have more spirit and less math.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Yes! More soul and less gadgets. Honestly, it doesn't matter which hyper-car is a better performer if you have electric motors and batteries and salad spinners. Its like its not a real car anymore. Why don't you just strap a few solid rocket motors to your rear wing at the last straight on the Ring and pick up 5 or 6 seconds - who cares at that point. What about strapping a few more batteries on and showing how the most heartless of automotive creations - the all electric - can out accelerate an Enzo. Very geeky and embarrassing to me. You are not saving the planet but loosing your soul.

Its also not about speed on the road. Its about torque and sound and handling and emotion - indeed spirit. This is what engineers called a 300hp road car that had spirit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewQaikxTUJs

Very comfortable. Real gauges on the dash. No touch screens. Bullet proof. Simple. Perfect. Emotion.

It doesn't have to race. It just has to exist. Engineers should revisit what its all about.

13. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    The cars that have been the most fun for me to drive have been the simplest. I have spent time in a few Cobras (real, fake and other) and they provide one of the most pure and brutal driving experiences around. The chassis on these cars is capable but antiquated. The engines generally have more power than needed. The all independent suspensions (in the good cars) provide a level of handling a step above most other cars from the period. For pure driving nirvana they are hard to beat. I imagine that a Lotus 7 or one of its clones or a Morgan three wheeler would provide similar thrills. Modern sports cars are so capable and so refined that it takes some of the fun away. The Nissan GT-R is one of those cars. Amazing performance but once you get past the initial thrill of its mind bending acceleration, it becomes kind of anti climatic. It will do most anything you ask but doesn't require much skill to get there. (Not that a person with skill couldn't take advantage of the available performance but even a knuckle dragging mouth breather can do some pretty cool things in the car) A vintage performance car isn't so easy to drive and get 80% or more of the performance potential out of.

A new Miata (or the FIAT version) may provide more pure driving thrills than some of the newest super cars out there. There is a place for enormous power and ability but that doesn't always equate to the most enjoyment in driving.

14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Great posts everyone! Lots of passion for cars. I too long for something that is less rolling, four-wheeled cyborg and more of a machine. Going to car events, I'm always impressed at the clutter of modern engine bays versus the simplicity of older cars.

So, in this day and age of increased legal and legislative demands, does anyone think a simple analog car as many of you have waxed poetically about, could actually be built (by a major brand)? Especially in a litigious society, I can foresee a person crashing their analog car, lawyering up and blaming the car maker for not having electronic nannies, tire pressure monitors, ABS, traction control, etc.?

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can you still get a Trabant?

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    According to Auto Trader Classics: yes, yes, you can! :)

17. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Well, then, problem solved. Leave the Porsche 918s to the poseurs.

18. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    As the old saying goes...

"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow!"