evo Track Car of the Year (video, 33:20) | FerrariChat

evo Track Car of the Year (video, 33:20)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Feb 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxNf8V50Ja4[/ame]

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Fantastic video. Thanks.
    How long has that been out? Is it from the feb mag issue?
    Very disappointed in nismo loosing to gt3. Cant figure that out since mt mag had nismo crush z06 and faster than gt3, and 650s too i think

3. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    The print edition has been out for a while, but the video was uploaded yesterday.

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    T70 those recreations get lots of cred in Europe and for good reason, they are great to drive and enjoy, really just a new build old car, as opposed to an old build old car, different porvenance same machine.

Jaguar just sold their lightweight etype recreations fro 1.4 mill a piece, now they are going to do some Dtypes.

We have aston sancttion 2 DB4 zagatos.

new Lister Knobblies

Chevrons back in prod,

Plenty of "real" Gt40's and cobras.

Pur sang Buggatis

All essentialy new build old cars, as opposed to replicas or kit cars(which are somethign different). Its the dawn of a new era.

Sign me up for a 330Gto or a 288 GTo or a 250SWB who cares if it has a horsey on the hood, just dont destroy somethign old to build it, and make it with more autheticity than they built them origionaly, cept maybe better brakes and tires.

5. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    If there's money to be had in high dollar continuation models; other car makers will eventually come around.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    allegretti will build you any 250 series ferrari you want plus alfa t33s. All the bits are available now, engine blocks heads transmisions etc, quitly its happening

7. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Obviously different tracks each car will compare different. The stupidity of people who think because one car may be faster than the other on a certain track, that translates to all tracks. The GT3 is just the superior track car on most shorter more technical tracks. Long straights, the nismo will have the Advantage. It's worth noting the GT3 has 100-150 less horsepower to the nismo and z06, it just a superior track car, that can actually be run for lap after lap without falling apart, or feeling like a fat pig.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Stupidity? Why have any contests at all? Did pats really win superbowl? What if it was held in florida humidity instead of az desert?

Car fans use mag comparisons same way sports fans root for their teams. Doubt track config was reason anyway. Nismo has traction advantage over gt3 that should translate to shorter tracks. Driver was a porsche racer so that prob accounted for fast gt3 time. But who cares? I like gtr better than gt3 so i want to see it win all comparos.

Really wish factories would race cup versions of these super cars. Totally stock with roll cage and fire system only. Would be fantastic for braging rights. Its what makes it fun

9. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    The different tracks bring out the advantages and disadvantages between the cars, it's that simple. I like the gt3 better but that doesn't mean I expect it to win all comparisons lol. My friend who also owns a gt3, has the nismo. I will be interested when we all go to the track how it fares.

What I care about more than a times of a few laps, would be realistic track tests, multiple hard sessions, for a few days in a row. The gt3 will easily handle it, proven track weapon with the toughness to match. Would be interested in seeing how the gtr lasts. The vette has already flopped, so I wouldn't even count it in the comparison.

10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Average driver wil always be.faster in gtr. Takes pro skils to max gt3. Btw my 'track weapon' gt3 cooling system collapsed on track while never had any issue with my gtr

11. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    You have the 991 gt3? There's no need to get defensive about the GTR, no doubt it's an incredible machine, I'm a fan, just like I am of most Ferrari's, ford GT, even the little lotus which would have its ass handed by either of the cars. Regarless, they are awesome. I just look at cars, regardless of what I own more objectively and realisticly than most. Fact is, it's going to be damn close between the gtr and gt3 and will depend on the track. Agreed with all the additional nany's the gtr will be easier to drive for the avg driver, likely less fun than the gt3 but easier. It's splitting hairs at this level and comes down to personal preference

12. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    About 25 track days as either adv/instr in daily driver 997 gt3 and same with gtr. It is not about nannies at all esp with 991 gt3 which has as many computers helping as gtr (other than awd). Its about balance. Gt3 always felt unstable to me when pushing it for fast lap time. Even braking in straight line (may have been faulty diff which is yet another weakness for supposed track weapon). Gtr gives much more stability so my lap times were 5 sec faster in a 90 sec lap with gtr. Huge difference

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ah laptimes, there is always a faster car, and a robotic car with a track map will be fastest. If you just wnat fast laptimes get a radical. Its about fun and experience.

Persoanally I have not seen a GTR hold up to repeated days, of heavy tracking, some do, but they seem to have a higher than average failure rate. In fact most of these cars cant run heavily on track repeatedly, they are too heavy and will melt tires. How does a 991Gt3 hold up with its 4ws? Can you run slicks on a 991, some say not.

A fast laptime at nurbering, what does that mean, its a measure, but for those of us who track elsewhere its somewhat irrelevant. Just as a heavy car on a short track, is different to a heavy powerful car on a big track, or a small light car on a short track.

By the same token, quick as an atom is, do you really want to be in one.

So in the end for me, there are a few questions. Which ones really hold up to repeated laps, what are their consistent lap times,what do they cost to run on track, do I need the car to be streetable as well or not, and is it comfortable enough or will it beat me up, and just as important how much fun is it to drive, on street and track.

Lots of decsions, these are track cars,hopefully not just pose street cars. If I were choosing it would be the T70 or GT3 or both, but over the Gt3 I would probably take a GT4, because I do not believe a 991 GT3 will really hold up for a few years, and its going to be less fun to drive than a GT4 esp on street.

A couple of fast laptimes means doo. Lets see these cars run for a day of say 5x30 mins track sessions, what is the average laptime, what are the consumables, are they fun to drive, thats relevant to someone who goes to the track, the rest is fluff.
    But yeah people buy paper specs.

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    #14 95spiderman, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    Well i went from gt3 to gtr and now its a lotus elise so lap times alone are obviously meaningless to me. I only mentioned it to demonstrate dramatic difference having stable platform makes to amateur driver.

Also i was instructing a 991gt3 and it had identical catastrphic coolant failure my 997 had. Never had any issue with my 2 gtrs. Nor did my 2 friends with gtrs. These were all stock so possibly gtr failures are due to their prevalent tuning. Gt3 has a great rep as bulletproof track cars that my experience finds undeserved.

15. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Interesting, I've never once seen this at the track with prior generations of the gt3, not seen it on the whinny/complaining porsche forums. Do you have a link or source to this issue with the gt3? Or was this a one of isolated insident that you expereinced and carried over to the entire group? As a 991 gt3 owner, I'm particulary interested in the catastrophic coolant failer the car you were in experienced. I've yet to come across a tougher stock track car than the GT3s or 911's in general, which is why you still see cars from the 60's,70, 80 being tracked hard day in and day out. I've yet to see another brand even come close. Hell, even the abuse the cars can take from endless repeated launch's should be of some indication. What was it, something like 2-3 launches with the gtr and it was done? Perhaps, they've fixed that now, I dunno.

16. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    I'm in the same pespective as you regarding the gtr's lack of holding up, largely due to its weight likely. Regarding the 4ws on the gt3, too early to say, time will tell. Gt4, should be a winner, looking forward to that car. Had a 981 boxster s, prior to the gt3 and really enjoyed it and I'm sure the gt4 will be a big step up but still not at the level of the gt3. For manual fans though, they can rejoice!

17. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Cheap plastic coupling on front radiator hose breaks, spill fluid to rear tires, spin out. Motor usually survives but spin could be disaster, luckily both times with me resulted in harmless solo spin into grass. Factory aware of situation since 997. Pretty shocked it happened again on 991. Be careful.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Yep seen it happen to a 997 gt3, thought there was some recall on this. I agree many GTrs are modded which contributes to failure. Still weight is an issue for GTR's and even now with the heavier 991 GT3, for tires if not brakes. GTRs decieve to flatter thier driver, they are quick, but as a track car they really lack imo.

If you want a fast/powerful street car for the track, one that can hold up with minmal mods, then vettes seem to do well, provided the brake lines and pads have been changed.

You dont have to convince me about a lotus, drive an elise myself, probbaly 60% on track.

On the whole porche subject, you can get 991 Gt3's in stock at delaers for advertised MSRP, that was never possible with the 997 Gt3, and apparently the cayman GT4 is already 20 orders deep at dealers, essentialy sold out. This says a lot about what people who are serios about sprtscar driving and tracking value, and its not paper spec apparently.

I always thought it was funny that porche claimed it had to go all tech/GTR on the 991 Gt3 to keep up with customers expectaions and the competition. Funny because the 997 Gt3 was never the fastest car on paper, and it was always sold out. I htink thye didnt understand their own product appeal.

To me the 991 Gt3 is a marketing thing to sell a more expensive 911 to a wider range of customers, much like the tubo got blanded out a decade ago.

My bet is if evo had tested a 997 GT3RS4.0 this year it would be pcoty of the year and probably track car of the year.

At least porche is not totaly blind(ferrari) and so now offers the Gt4, maybe the GT4Rs will have that special motor too, and then the package will be complete.

To me the futire of fast/exotic cars is that thye have to be eitehr small two door lexi like most porches and ferraris, or really trackable, because the track is the only place you can really use the performance of fast cars these days, and there are lots of tack days, and more than a few track countruy clubs springing up. A real trackable street car is a big market now.

The most exciting companies in that field are eitehr the Uk with Lotus or the Big 3. Dodge makes a great viper, the z06 vette is a knockout, as is the z28, and ford probably will win the crown witht he Gt and Gt350R two cars that look to be exotic on the street and designed for the track and to be trackable. From germany we have the 991 Gt3 and GT4, BMws are too heavy and floaty now, and mercs are powerful street cruisers. the Italians, well I guess there was the speciale, the rest is not really serious when it comes to the track.