Thoughts on adding a stable mate to the Scud! Mercedes | FerrariChat

Thoughts on adding a stable mate to the Scud! Mercedes

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Afonsolaw, Feb 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I have come across an opportunity to purchase a 2011 Mercedes SLS black on black through a private seller with only 3500 miles on it one owner car. What do you you guys think about the car itself and what a reasonable price should be.

2. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    #2 GHG, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
    Can't comment on price but I spent a few days driving an SLS and it is a hoot! It feels like a muscle car, pulling in every gear and very easy to break the rear end loose. The steering is nowhere near as responsive as the Scud, and the gear shifts don't feel as exciting, but it isn't slow by any measure. The sound is a classic AMG roar and the interior is beautifully finished. I'm not sold on the exterior of the car, but the driving experience is a lot of fun. I think it will compliment the rawness of your Scud nicely by adding a GT option to your stable.

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Where did you move my thread to?

4. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    For the drivability reasons you sighted as positives, they were the reason's I pass on the SLS, just felt the car was way too tail happy and overall dangerous to drive. I have no data to back this claim, but I think there is reason why so many SLS are on the market and with low mileage and it's not because they are being flipped for profit. The new AMG GT has a completely new rear end and from reports I read, very planted...I might consider one of these in 2015 or 2016, once all the early spec cars have cleared out and the dealers price them right.

MB

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

I am a huge fan. considering one myself. the money based on your basic description would be in the $135-145k range.

6. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Makes sense, but I assumed OP was looking for something to compliment his Scud, which is not an easy car to control either. I don't think he is looking to the SLS for a daily driver, so that sense of danger and excitement might be a positive for some.

7. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I never drove one but I love the looks and have always heard the car is great to drive trying to set up a test drive to make a decision.

What are thoughts in comparison to the new GT? Similar car but no full wing doors.

8. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i couldn't agree more!!
    i test drove several sls vehicles and was not impressed with the ride.
    as a track car, it would suffice.
    but driving the sls on poorly maintained michigan roads would be an exercise in frustration!

9. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    And for what it's worth, I am a huge Merc fan and owner. I've bought and/or leased 10 Mercedes cars in the last 10 years, due to get another one in April. For the money, my 550SL is much more drivable and has almost as much zip...the SL is under spec'd with HP closer to 500 and torque at 516 lb-ft.

Cheers,

MB