Car dealer doc fee's!!!!! | FerrariChat

Car dealer doc fee's!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by zudnic, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #1 zudnic, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    So I need a truck, off road mainly and also tow a small boat. Head to the Ford dealer today, tested and liked the F150. Decided to get it fully loaded. $44k out the door and then they hit me with a $490 documentation fee. O.k. I can understand if the dealer did more then fill in a price on a contract. Or physically had to go into the DMV, deal with titles, get plates, etc. But here the DMV comes to the dealership. I asked if they charge dealers for this. They said no. Its ridiculous when you make a profit on something and then charge a fee for paper work. All the sales guy did was fill in the amount on a contract. $490 for this is ridiculous.

They wouldn't waive the fee, neither would the other Ford dealers in town. Can a dealer explain to me, why charge these fees. Shouldn't you profit already on the car you just sold. This double dip is total BS!

2. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    if you were willing to walk away from the deal over that $490 fee, i suspect they would have eliminated itl

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I was willing to walk, but all the Ford dealers wanted the same fee.

Suspect they are selling them close to invoice and this is how they are making money on volume. Still they get a manufacture kick back. The doc fee is ridiculous. They should build it into the price and keep it hidden.

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Are you sure there is not inventory tax built into that? If not it's outrageous. Even Park Place is only hitting me for $145 doc fee on a GT3

5. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    They'll simply tell you "the law lets us". Dealers have a poweful lobby in each state, who then lets them charge this fictitious fee to pad their already high profits.

6. Brewman

Brewman Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2012
    NC Mountains @ Boone
    Full Name:
    Joe
    As a former dealer I can tell you the fee is a way to cover overhead. This used to be buried in the sales price but in today's world of online price quotes the market has become ultra competitive. Regardless of where the $$ show up dealers have to show a profit. Like you Ithough I do not like doc fees, just doesn't feel right.

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Id understand if I was leasing/financing, the finance/lease guy needs to make some money. Or they had to go into the DMV. The dealer gets cash back from the manufacture, including 3% of the MSRP. Should be more then enough to cover over head on a cash customer.

8. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    It is a sneaky way to add profit.

I was willing to walk on a deal 5 years ago, took them 2 days, but they "waived" the fee (left on the sales order, but I got the difference as a discount on the price of the car, so the "out the door" number remained the same). And they asked me not to discuss it when I came in to finish the paperwork and pick up the car so nobody would overhear about them waiving the fee.

If every dealer simply didn't discount the car by extra amount, they would be in the same place. I understand dealers have to make a "reasonable" profit to stay in business, but do it openly.

Locally, one of the dealers has been advertising for years what it is and why that dealership doesn't use it. He is hated, but recently, most of the dealers have fallen into line. The irony is that the dealers who were the biggest abusers now tout it like it was their idea...........

Regards,
    Jerry