2nd Generation Audi R8 | FerrariChat

2nd Generation Audi R8

Discussion in 'Other German' started by nicholasn, Feb 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    For those of you who haven't yet seen it...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-audi-r8-photos-and-info-news

As with before, the R8 shares its platform with its Italian counterpart, the Lamborghini Huracan. At its launch, it will only be offered with an updated version of the V10 from the outgoing model. Unfortunately, all V10s will be mated exclusively to a seven-speed dual clutch automatic transmission; no gated manual will be offered. The exterior receives decidedly sharper lines, and the interior gets the "virtual cockpit" from Audi's smaller sports coupe, the TT. To the average person, the new R8 may not look drastically different from the outgoing model, but it definitely looks squarer than the original.

Opinions?

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #2 El Wayne, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    I can't believe how minimalistic and straightforward the old interior looks compared to this new car's.

As ever, R8 is very "meh" IMHO (I've driven it). Doesn't excite emotionally - which is weird because I love the (old) NSX. Many criticize the NSX for being bland too. Go figure.

Great news is, old car is going to be a great entry supercar bargain.

4. I used to think the old R8 looked a bit too much like a stretched out TT. This new one, however, REALLY looks like a stretched TT. I don't remember the last supercar I saw that was this disappointing visually. The funny thing is, I bet they sell a lot more TT's now as people who can't quite afford an R8 decide to settle.

5. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I try not to be critical of new designs without seeing them in the flesh first but... I think this is too much of an evolution in the design department. The car was already a little long in the tooth style-wise but, this just looks like a rather generic evolution rather than an exciting new product. The safely styled performance car may be a niche they can make money in based on sharing the cost of platform development with Lambo but it seems like an odd halo car for the brand.

6. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Can't help but feel like the current car is more attractive. This concept looks cheaper somehow.... feels like a step backward. Hopefully the real car will change my mind.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I agree with u all that it isn't the most exciting car. But even with the old car I always felt like it looked much better in person than in pics. Hopefully this is the same way.

8. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    IMHO, kind of a visual letdown similar to the new Q7 and TT. Was expecting something more expressive as a halo car for a company that keeps racking up Le Mans 24hr wins. So this new R8 and the NSX will be duking it out for ho-hum supercar of the year honours. :)

9. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree about the interior, although I like the DSG box -- old school stick would look really odd in such a high tech car.

I've had two 2nd gen TT's, and there has always been too much resemblance in/out. The new TT is a relative bargain.

10. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Did your drive the 8 cylinder or the 10?

11. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I don't know, if it had push-buttons like Ferrari and Lamborghini do for their dual-clutch 'boxes, I'd agree with you. But sticking with a conventional automatic-style shift lever in this car looks weird as all getout, considering how high-tech the rest of the car looks. I mean, if you're gonna put an old-school-looking shifter in it anyway, you might as well make it the right one...

12. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    True, they could have ditched the lever altogether and cleaned up the center console. Would have cut costs and made it even more elegant.

13. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    Visually its a disappointment but hopefully the motor makes up for it. Oh and the lack of a manual sucks too. Cars are going to be boring as hell to drive in the future. Hang on to your analogue toys.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    The design lacks harmony IMHO...the exterior can't decide if it wants more organic or sharp straight edges.

15. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    10, Rtronic
    Expected more drama...

16. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    New R8 will be also offered as an e-tron model(all Electric) and as a V10 hybrid with over 700 hp.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I honestly thought the pics that where making the rounds earlier in the week where just photoshopped R8's with new gen Audi head lights.

Turns out it was the actual car. It really looks like they picked up the old shell, put it on the new platform and to make it look like they made an effort, glued some new headlights on it.

Meh.

18. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    no manual? so what does this do for the old manual R8?

19. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #19 Mark(study), Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Looks like they put all their time into making an electric car, and zero effort into building a sexy new R8 that I'd want to buy.

First the NSX, now the R8, can't anyone make a sexy looking new car? Thanks Ford at least you took some risk and swung for the fences!

20. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I find the interior really beautiful. I can't say the same for the exterior.... It is ugly.

21. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Head of R8 development says it's better than the Huracan.

'Mr R8': PH Meets | PistonHeads

Makes sense given it has another year of development time and the fact that the car was developed alongside the R8 GT3 race car so that they would be ready to race right away.

22. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It looks OK. It honestly reminds me of the R8 knock off in GTA V. Which is ironic to say the least...

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

23. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I've got to say that I really like it. To me it is almost refreshing to have a somewhat understated supercar. So many new supercars are over the top in terms of styling, and I really appreciate the clean evolutionary design that Audi has here. Sure the lack of manual is disappointing, but I don't think anyone is surprised by that at all.

The real question is what is the perfect daily driver. A 911 TT or R8 V10?

24. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Huh, how about that, I thought you were going to say the 8. I love the 10 and I've driven the old NSX and didn't find it nearly as fun, not even close. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Meh. Drove the 1st gen - also meh.