Coast to Coast US roadtrip - in which car? | FerrariChat

Coast to Coast US roadtrip - in which car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by chrismic, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    Hi everyone,

I'm normally hanging out in the 456 and Mondial sections. Will be relocating from Australia to Italy before too long, and planning a big roadtrip arcoss the US, starting in LA and finishing in NYC. I plan to be on the road for about 4 months and driving for around 10.000 miles. Naturally, I'd love to be doing this in a V12 2+2 from Maranello, but that's not a reality....I have my wife, 3 young kids and a dog in tow. So here come my two options/questions.

a) I was considering the somewhat more boring option of renting a RV.

b) but I'd rather do an epic trip in a vintage 1950s-70s American car, like a 59 Plymouth Custom Suburban (Wagon).

So, what cars would you recommend? They need to fit 5 people and a medium sized dog. They need to stand a chance of surviving 10.000 miles. Looking at around 15-20K to spend on the car, re-sale chance would be nice, but not not essential.

I'd also be grateful for links where to find such vehicles in the greater LA area.

Many thanks,
    Chris

2. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #2 zudnic, Feb 27, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    First I'm not a fan of American cars, especially the 40's, 50's and even the 60's. So I won't recommend any!

If it wasn't for the dog, Id say early 90's BMW M5, good performance and cheap to buy. With room for everyone but the dog.

Since you mention big old American cars, performance is obviously not an issue. Id get any year Ford Excursion diesel. I only like American trucks and the Excursion is truck like with excellent passenger room. Not only that, room for the dog. Big fuel tank, means huge range. Like 700+ miles on a full tank. Plus they are popular everywhere, easy resale.

3. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Mmm, a '59 Fury for 10000 miles seems like an excedrin dream, especially enduring the bench seat after 100 miles. Imho, I'd go for a Flex Ecoboost with 365 hp and acres of room. Push the dealer or former owner and they'll get close to 20k. Look for a 2012 - 13 to keep costs down.

4. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    E39 wagon with a 6-speed.

5. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have you checked out any of the Mercedes Benz Sprinter van conversions? Airstream has one that pops to mind. It won't sleep 5, but if you're going to spend 4 months on the road with 5 people and 1 dog, I can imagine the space + amenities (TV, small kitchen, bathroom, etc) would be nice to have.

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    If I were in your shoes, I'd go for either a manual Cadillac CTS-V Wagon, manual first-gen Porsche Cayenne GTS, or an APR Stage III manual Audi Allroad 2.7T. Guess I'm just not a big 50s/60s-era American car fan.

7. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave

No chance of a V wagon for $15-20k.

8. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    thanks guys for the quick feedback, beamers, porsche, audi...where is the golden US age patriotism? haha. I also like the idea of a truck, though. That's also very American, so great idea.

9. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you want American you could go with an SRT-8 grand Cherokee.

10. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    First gen Cayenne TT with Thule box for your budget. For four months, space for everything, and least worry-free driving, I'd rent a Mercedes Sprinter or something similar.

11. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    How young are the kids? Do you need baby seats? If they do you'll need something with proper anchors.
    For 20k you could find yourself a nice e39 (1999-2004) M5. That would be awesome!

Safe, reliable, fast, decent MPG, fun to drive

12. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Oh shoot, I completely missed that. Haha

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The Excursion, is an SUV, it was the biggest one made. Tons of room. It was built on the F350 truck chassis. Handles o.k. cruises 80mph nicely. You can also get the DVD entertainment system in them. Good for kids and dog.

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Chevy Suburban! For the cost of the RV rental you can buy suburban's in the 1995 vintage and leave it in NYC and will cost less than renting an RV. A 2005 vintage will cost you under 10K and have video for kids, dual HVAC etc. and can get fixed at any dealer across the country. Kids can have 2 rows of seats, dog can kennel in the entire 4x4x4 ft box in rear. Torpedo on roof houses all your gear.

15. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    If you want to stick with something uniquely American and a truck is okay, consider a Jeep Grand Wagoneer from the late '80s - the last of that classic style from the early '70s, but with more modern fuel injection (reliability), and maybe even air bags (not sure on that).

Similarly, you could go for an old school GMC Suburban, but I think the Jeep is your better bet in terms of finding a good one, as well as the "experience".

Another fun option would be a conversion van of any era. Something like that, with the window curtains, captain's chairs and fold-down rear bench is a lot more fun and exciting for a kid who is stuck in a vehicle for what seems an eternity.

Lastly, you could go with a 1980s VW Vanagon with the Westfalia package. Again, exciting for the kids, lots of room, and the amenities may come in handy.

What the Wagoneer and Westfalia have in common are a strong followings of devoted enthusiasts, which means that good examples are appreciated and considered worth preserving; it will be easier to find a well maintained example in good to excellent condition.

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The Jeep Grand Wagoneer, was carb not fuel injected. It was the last carb model sold in America in 1991. Its a little small for kids and a dog, plus luggage. They do have a cult following and are well made. Parents had one when I was growing up.

Suburban's like all GM are lousy build quality. If you must go American, the Grand Wagoneer is nice. But after 91 and Chrysler influence Jeeps became lousy, only Ford offers half decent vehicles.

17. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    That's a good option. I had one, 2005 diesel. Could get 1700km the the tank! It's 200L

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I bought one in 02 and then another in 04. If I really topped off the tank, the range via the trip computer was 740 miles. Lived in the states when I had them.

People still love them. A clean California example will sell fast in New York.

19. chrismic

chrismic Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2012
    many thanks guys, really appreciated, that gives me a lot to check out and think about!

20. zc911

zc911 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2014
    Brampton, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Mine sold quick, low K and all the mods to make the 6L powerstroke live!
    checking prices now i think they went up in price since i sold it 2 years ago.

21. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The only mod I did was delete the egr valve. Not better performance, the egr clogs up and creates problems.

Its very popular, low miles are now hard to find. Prices have gone up, the demand is so strong for them.

22. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I'm thinking about the same question; I've decided to drive to Amelia for the auctions instead of fly, and then am going down to the Keys. So, from Houston and back, call it a 4K+ mile round trip.

I'm actually thinking about taking an 87 560SL that I acquired recently. My wife said "you're going to drive THAT car all the way to Florida"? I responded that I couldn't think of a better cruiser.

I may change my mind and take the Lexus. But, what's the fun in that?

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    560SL is a fine car, especially on long trips. Most are pretty trouble free. Its on my list of cars to buy. My mother foolishly turned down one, when new. She didn't like the steering wheel. Her car at the time was a Jaguar Vanden Plas V12.

24. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I've done the trip twice to see different parts of the country. I was in no hurry...

But you don't say if you would prefer to stay in an RV or hotels... If you wanted to stay in nice hotels, I'd prob. go with some type of mid sized SUV. You are going to need the room with kids.

If you want to camp on the road, I think an RV is a great choice. I haven't done it this way, but I think there are a lot of advantages, esp. for a family on an adventure.

Seriously wouldn't think about doing it in old American vehicle... You have a family to consider and there's been a lot of advancements in vehicles since then. I guess they're ok to drive around as an adult or around for short trips. But, I just did 4100 miles from the EC to LA and no way would I take a family in something vintage like that.