Have You Driven A Tesla? Holy Crap | FerrariChat

Have You Driven A Tesla? Holy Crap

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Logical1, Mar 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had an F430 for seven years, love Ferrari and all things Ferrari. But I drove a Tesla last September when a fellow Ferrarista and F1 fan told me he bought one. "It's the best car I've ever had." So I arranged for a test drive. As we left the gallery she said "Go ahead and mash the pedal". No problem, and I did. Less than 4 seconds later I knew I had to have one. I imposed the 24 hour rule, went home and researched and slept on it. The next day I was convinced to buy and did. Without question it's the best car I've ever had. No question whatsoever. None.

Faster (limited to relevant top speeds), safer, more fun to drive (in most circumstances), better built...

Clearly it's a paradigm shift. So does Ferrari shift or stick to building cars that have to carry an engine and fuel around plus hundreds of moving parts that produce lesser performance?

Most interested in informed, insightful comments from those who have actually driven both.

Thanks

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I've never driven one but I would love to. They look pretty cool too.

3. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I agree, they are truly amazing cars to drive, the power is instant and the car handles great - very flat. Congrats on your purchase, did you get a P85D?

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I have driven the tesla. Makes any other car seem like a horse and buggy.

5. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    #5 Texas Turbo, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    Yes, the haul a$$ and they are only getting faster. I really like them too. They have a ways to go with regards to interior fit and finish, but they are still nice nonetheless. I'm not there yet and still prefer german sedans with big gas motors, but I do see the appeal.

In my opinion it would great compliment to a slow, loud, ancient three-pedal Ferrari.

6. OldSlowpoke

OldSlowpoke Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2012
    Longmont, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    We (my wife and I) have friends who have a Tesla sedan, and they love it. They have put solar panels on their house (in Las Vegas), so their Tesla runs on the Sun. But most Teslas nowadays really run on coal. Also, their range is pretty limited. Our friends rarely go far from home, but for us it would have to be for shorter trips and backed up by something for longer excursions.

When (and it's probably when, not if) they can go 300 highway miles on a charge and recharge in an hour, we'll re-evaluate.

7. rammac99

rammac99 Rookie

Dec 12, 2013
    Jefferson City
    Full Name:
    Richard McIntosh
    If Telsa could only record the exhaust note from my 360 fitted with Ferrari racing exhaust, new headers and free-flow cats and playback the soundtrack as the car was driven.....it still wouldn't be a Ferrari or as my friends commonly refer to it as "screaming sex on wheels."

8. Remember the alamo

Dec 9, 2014
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I have driven one several times and yes it accelerates fast but ultimately doesnt provide the visceral thrill of a ferrari and won't nearly handle as well. I love the technology and bought a bunch of tesla stocks while back as I do believe they are on to something long term, but find it comical when people refer to them as 'faster'. It is not all about 0 to 60 times for me.

Comparing a tesla versus a ferrari is apples to oranges.

9. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    Remember the alamo, thanks for the reality check. I wonder how many Ferrari owners would trade their car for a Tesla.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Driven both models and I'd rather take public transport.... and I won't take a bus or train.

11. Logical1

Logical1 Karting

Apr 14, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Need to update my friend. 275 miles on a charge. Tesla Superchargers add 200 miles in 20 minutes. If you drive less than 200 miles a day you needn't ever think about range because you quickly recharge overnight. Plug in like plugging i your cell phone. I have both a Ferrari and Tesla and never think about the range on the Tesla.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    A friend of mine owns a Tesla and I have test driven his car.

Amazing power they can get out of those electric motors.

But I love the sound of Ferrari engines.

13. amerifrikaner

amerifrikaner Karting

Nov 19, 2014
    USA
    Driven both...My 16M and CGT are both an event when you take it out for a drive...well a Tesla, not so much. It is fast, but it does not speak to my passion to hear and feel my car as I accelerate or downshift. As a DD, not a bad option and we may end up buying the Tesla SUV for my wife once available.

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Maybe as a DD I could see a Tesla. But it is not only about getting from point A to B quickly. I need the sound, the smell, the rumble, the sensual lines of the body - the soul of the car to move me. Both can move you down the street but my Ferraris move me in many other ways.

15. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Faster take off yes. But its only one gear. A Ferrari can hit the reset button 6 times.

Still, buy as much Tesla stock as you can.

16. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #16 166&456, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
    Tesla stock is a little overvalued right now imho. But that doesn't mean it can't rise more (see AMZN, NFLX).
    Back on topic, yes the Tesla drives very well and fast. Electric is also the future of day-to-day motoring imho. Note the day-to-day. And that's both a gain and a loss. A gain in acceleration, perhaps comfort, and a loss of involvement and mechanical beauty, and also practicality in terms of speed of fill up and the self-discharge problem I never hear anybody about... what is the standby time of a Tesla?

Before you say is that relevant? Yes it is. To a lot of people. The standby top up need may not be that much but I am sure it will add up over 24 hours, 365 days in terms of electricity cost and CO2.
    For instance I am interested in classic cars, I love having lots of cars around and that also means I store them, for months sometimes years, between uses. I don't see that happening with a Tesla, or any electric car for that matter.

Driving experience, personally I found the difference in noise between standstill and driving very high, tire roar and wind noise becomes very apparent. Tesla should improve the insulation on the current models (or perhaps they already have).
    A trip to the Alps took 17 hours because of the charging requirement, instead of what normally would have taken about 10 hours. You will also learn that "turtle mode" at 90km/h without heating while stressing to find that charging location is a very hateful thing you will want to avoid. It is unwise and stressful to aim for range in such trips, regular top-ups are better also in terms of recharging speed. That does mean a lot of time wasted along the way for stops and the realistic range is a lot shorter.

17. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm skeptical of true electric cars ever becoming even somewhat widespread. Just a few years ago California couldn't handle the load of electricity to run air conditioning all day. I don't know much about the subject but I remember hearing our infrastructure is becoming too small for population growth.

18. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    The networks will evolve/grow with the demand. The Californian problem you mention has been largely attributed to (blamed on?) the activities of Enron in those times.

Which, incidentally, is an extra cost to the consumer that nobody is factoring in today. Not to mention the loss of jobs in car engine servicing, parts manufacturing etc.

19. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Amazing car. Ferrari should not go the electric route.

Tesla Model S P85D is on my very short list for my next DD car.

20. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Probably the best appliance on the market, right there with Miele dishwashers.
    If that's what you need....

21. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Totally agree. I drove the Roadster several times, which is more of a fair comparison, and was seriously considering buying one. It was hyper fast off the line (with no dropping of the clutch!), but in spirited driving it just didn't stack up for me. I kept telling myself, "don't think about the (lack of) sound, just evaluate the driving experience." I just didn't think it was as fun to drive...I especially remember passing on the highway from 60-90 feeling antiseptic rather than thrilling.

22. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    We've had a Tesla P85+ (471 hp motor) for 16 months now and have put about 15,000 miles on it. It's been a fabulous car! It's my wife's daily driver, taking dogs to run on the beach, shopping trips and running daily errands. It's also our go to car for an evening out with friends. It's been on out of state trips and overnights and we've never run out of juice. We have the 80 amp / 240 V high capacity charger at home which adds about 60 miles of range per hour. It will go from empty to full charge in about 5 hours. Typical range for us is 250 - 300 miles depending on speed and use of heat or A/C. We've made occasional use of the Tesla Supercharger stations on the road which can fully charge the car in about 20 minutes... for free! It's like getting a free tank of gas.

The performance of the car is truly stunning. You've all seen the "Holy S@*t!" videos. That's basically the reaction of people experiencing the full acceleration for the first time. It actually knocked my father-in-law's glasses off his head! The Tesla's performance defies your minds concept of what a car can do, it's just so fast, smooth and quiet. I call it the "George Jetson Departure". It just feels so much more efficient than a conventional gasoline car. There are no reciprocating pistons and valves, no cam belts or chains, no transmission and clutch. The torque curve of the electric motor perfectly matches the inertia requirements of moving a heavy car, making maximum torque at zero rpm. The Tesla also handles well for its weight as most of the weight is way down low in the battery pack, making for a low center of gravity, and very little body roll.

I find operating costs are almost a third of a gasoline car. The 85kwh battery costs about $10.20 for a "Fill-up" at $.12 per kwh, which will go about 300 miles for an energy cost of 3.4 cents per mile. That compares to say $2.20 per gallon to go 25 miles = 8.8 cents per mile. Another cool thing is the car is almost entirely operated by soft keys on the touch screen, the only actual hard conventional "buttons" are for the glove box and emergency flashers. This allows for most of the cars operational features to be upgradeable via software updates, which occur automatically overnight for free via Wi-Fi. For example, the car has a reverse camera which displays on the touch screen, but lacked the lines which arc as you turn the wheel to help you position the car in reverse. I've become accustomed to those in my other cars and missed that feature in the Tesla. Well low and behold, I recently hopped in and the car it alerted me of the new feature, and there it was!

I purchased the Tesla for my wife, and as a "Car Guy" I was prepared to not like it much thinking it would be just a really expensive golf cart. But it's turned out quite the opposite, I'm extremely impressed with the combination of technology and performance and quality the Tesla offers, there is just nothing else like it.

23. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I've had a P85+ for over a year and a half now, simply amazing and worth every penny. People will go kicking and screaming, just like they did with the paddle shifter, but electric is the future and the technology is only getting better.

24. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Excellent write up!

25. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    its a $100k electric golf cart,and yes ive driven it and other el's and hybrids,the only way for these to really work is a diesel 2 cyl eng a gen running 2-4 el motors ,1 at each wheel,then using 2-4 batts as back up,,just like a diesel/electric locomotive