Why is this Mercedes CL500 so cheap? Or are they ALL Cheap?? | FerrariChat

Why is this Mercedes CL500 so cheap? Or are they ALL Cheap??

Discussion in 'Other German' started by dm_n_stuff, Mar 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

#1 dm_n_stuff, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Or am I crazy. They all seem to be very inexpensive?

Are they ticking time bombs?

I'm sure repairs are pricey, but sheesh, this seems to me to be a great car at a very affordable price.

Need a highway cruiser/daily driver and I want to get into something a bit bigger than my current car, a 2000 M roadster.

2005 Mercedes-Benz CL500, $14,995 - Cars.com

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/624967073/overview/

So am I crazy??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I love that body style, but they're expensive to maintain. The air suspension isn't cheap to fix and it's not an uncommon thing to go faulty in those.

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It's a car that depreciated quickly. Fears of expensive fixes keep these cars' prices very low.

That's why I bought a used 2008 CL 63.

Mine has been relatively trouble free. Mercedes will service and support them well.

Go for it!

Matt

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Active Body Control can have very expensive repairs as the system ages, issues with the S-class, CL-class, and SL-class are well-documented. The suspension really is a sophisticated servo hydrualic system that relies on its capability to very precisely meter the fluid. Over time the valves wear and foreign material (metal from the valves) enter the system, eventually causing the valves to leak a little bit and could potentially also damage the ABC/power steering pump, although I have not seen real answers why the pumps fail.

Figure $1000 per corner plus $2000 for a pump or valving when they go bad. I have never really found a definitive recommendation from M-B what an owner should do to help them live longer. I would think a complete fluid flush and replacing hoses on a 10 year old car would be about all one could do and hope for the best. Parts, fluids, and labor for that would likely be well over $1000 to have installed.

I personally love the look of this generation of CL, and a CL65 for under $30k would be very tempting. The new owner would just have to understand that one morning he will walk out in his garage and the car will be drooped on at least one corner, and get out his wallet.

5. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Is there an aftermarket fix for the suspension issues? Or for that matter, there must be a forum somewhere full of geeky Mercedes guys figuring out a workaround.

Off to do more research, but I have to say, it's tempting.

D

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

So, buy an extended (non factory) warranty? Must be something available out there.

Alternative is a newer model I'd guess.

D

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Very cool car. But in a short time you will have more money into repairs then the car is worth. That's ok if you love the car, but geez they are expensive to keep.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, thanks for providing more info on that as I've seen it brought up several times on this board and others. I've been thinking though...wouldn't it be cheaper at that rate to get custom coilovers? Apparently others have thought of it: Replacing ABC with a regular strut or coilover setup - MBWorld.org Forums

The ride probably wouldn't be as smooth, but if you did this to an AMG variant like a 55 or 65 it wouldn't be so out of place. I'd love the look and interior of a luxo-barge, but the engine of a 65 and suspension to match...

9. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    You could build an air ride setup.

10. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Stay away, stay far away from those LOL. Now when you can get one for nothing, then go for it. And by nothing I mean 8-10 grand. How much do you want for your m roadster? Now that's a kick ass car

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

90k miles. no problems with the diff. which can be trouble. oxford green. car is in great condition. $12k maybe a little less. new brakes and coilovers with less than 3k miles. tires have less than 5k on them.

12. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    look for a 2006, they all came with the AMG sport package-low key body kit, suspension and brakes, standard engine, I had one, loved it : ) fluid change on the ABS is a good idea, so is a trans fluid change. I think they are also a bit cheap because no one knows about them, the S class coupe is rare and it was the top of the line model at the time, IIRC more than the sedan or roadster. See if you can get the top of the line seats with AC/heat and massage, those are great chairs : )

13. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Almost correct, Figure $2K per corner + 3K for a pump with fluid change and bleed. And then there are pressure regulators, and on, and on.
    OTOH, maybe you can drive it and nothing will fail. Pay your money and take your chances!
    When working correctly as designed, there really is nothing like it.

14. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #14 tundraphile, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    I was thinking parts cost as these things have depreciated into the DIY home mechanic range, but your figures only make the point more: it is very expensive. Bleeding the fluid after a change could be a challenge, it is no doubt more involved than when I changed my ML500 steering pump years ago. Much more to the ABC system.

As these get even cheaper it would make less sense to take them to a dealer and pay dealer prices for parts and labor. OT a bit but a friend of mine took his early SLK230 ($9k car on a good day) to be "gone through" at the local M-B dealer before giving it to his daughter. The bill was an eye-watering $4500, on a car that didn't have anything wrong with it except an ABS ECU and needed full major service and brakes. That is 50% of the value of the car and it added basically nothing to the value of the car.

The CL/SL/S-class using this system could easily be the same way. Buy the car cheap and know that some day you will spend half that again fixing it. And if it is supercharged (55) or turbocharged (600 or 65), you also have extra powertrain components to worry about, not to mention the heat on the turbo cars cooking the wiring harness and coils. And on all of these if and engine were to go poof, you are basically looking at a parts car. Even the transmission would probably relegate it to the junk yard if you couldn't find a used replacement.

15. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Rebuilt parts are available from Pelican for under $1000 a corner.

D

16. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Don't forget wiring harness :)

17. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    In addition to all the above, this particular car is filthy. IMO, I'd avoid this car just because of that. It makes potential buyers think the car was not well-cared for. Who tries to sell a filthy car on Cars.com?

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

You would be surprised.

It seems it wandered its way down here from NC, was at a dealer there, must have wholesaled it to these guys.

I think better similar cars are out there for this money, I really was interested in why an $80K+ car becomes a $15K+- car. My 2000 M roadster was $40K+- 15 years ago and is still a $12K car now.

I love the styling, like the power, and hate that they cost a fortune to repair. We had a 2005 ish E500 wagon which was great to drive, but had tranny problems that we could not get a handle on. Bought that car 6-7 years ago for high $20's and after driving it for 3 years, lost maybe a couple grand selling it.

Just thought it would make a real good highway car for our frequent SW FL trips.

D

19. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Cost of repairs is only part of the equation. The other, its just another used car. Mercedes doesn't have the cult following they did have in the 80's and 90's.

20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yep. I had the previous gen car, but with the V12. Bought it for $6k in pristine, as-new condition. The previous owner had spent over $30k on repairs over the years. I had it for only a short time and then sold it for something like $9k if I recall correctly, but I just broke even after my repairs were figured in. I was glad to be rid of it!

21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Gonna go take a look at a variety of two door Mercs this week. Local dealer has at least a half dozen, including a couple CL350's. Not the punch of the 500, but newer car, no ABC suspension, and still a great price for what looks like a nice boulevard cruiser.

Stay tuned.

D

22. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    ?

23. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Probably CLK.

24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#24 dm_n_stuff, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Okay, based on the W203 C-Class platform. We had a W203 sedan that we bought for the nanny to drive. Her and the kids beat the hell out of it for years and it never gave us a problem. Solid little car.