Ready to pull trigger on SLS.. has the market leveled | FerrariChat

Ready to pull trigger on SLS.. has the market leveled

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Newport, Mar 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    #1 Newport, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Been following the market a bit on the SLS. (since Sept) It seems that there is a bit of an uptick on these cars.

I am certainly not thinking the car will appreciate but, has the market bottomed a touch?

I just want a nice Roadster (2012) to cruise PCH.

Everybody that has had one seems pretty happy with them.

How much do you think they will still fall$? or not?

Is the Roadster and the Coupe on level ground in the long run? (The coupe seems to go for less currently)

Any experts in the biz want to speculate? (5 year from now price?)

(If have one and are thinking of selling get with me quick...)

Any historical (Benz) significance down the line? (First top to bottom AMG... F1 pace car)

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

not an expert but following the market as well. I am looking to stay read in on a 2011 or 12 coupe. I think low mileage cars have actually started to move up a tad. I do think the coupe if well owned will be a bit collectable. the first car entirely built at AMG. a pretty serious car and built like the rock of Gibraltar!!

good luck.

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

btw there was a nice low mile example in the other cars for sale section...have a look there too.

4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    About to close on one this week... I think they have leveled out... I can't wait to pick her up :)

5. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Congrats! What did you get?

6. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    2011 SLS coupe black on black I will post some pics once I pick her up... I can't wait :)

7. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    Congrats! Black on black is just like mine.

Matt

8. RiteDrive

RiteDrive Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick G.
    I would think the Gull Wing coupes will retain value better than the roadsters. This is why the price for coupe cars are par with roadsters.

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG for sale in Costa Mesa, CA at Evan Paul Motorcars - Vehicle Details - 14690 - RITEDRIVE?
    Here is a Roadster in C.A.

2012 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG 2dr Roadster SLS AMG for sale in EDISON, NJ at FERRARI / MASERATI / Bentley OF CENTRAL NEW JERSEY - Vehicle Details - 7465 - RITEDRIVE?
    This roadster is aged, you may want to follow up on this one as the seller should cut a deal.
    Hope that helps and best of luck. They are undervalued cars considering the power and performance

9. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I agree the coupe will retain their value and become more collectible later on. The gullwing is such a cool and unique feature that the convertible doesn't have.

IMO these will follow the values of the BMW Z8. Drop for a few short years, then hold, then start back up and never come down. I doubt FMV for an SLS coupe will ever be less than $100k.

When I first saw the Z8 (new at about $130k) I thought it was a really neat car and in several years following typical BMW depreciation, would be an awesome machine for $30-40k. Obviously didn't work out that way.

I think people should forget what they know about typical AMG deprecitation for the SLS, the coupe anyway.

10. RiteDrive

RiteDrive Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Full Name:
    Nick G.
    The convertibles are awesome machines, but not the iconic Gullwing like the old days

11. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    coupes look cooler,but roadsters are open top fun

12. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    I just picked mine up Friday. I thought it would be hard to compare any thing to the Scud but all I can say is WOW! What an amazing car! The style, the class, the power! And those doors have no words! Belive it or not I think it gets more attention than the scud and def easier to drive! But the SCUD is going nowhere ;)

13. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY

Congrats! I agree, my SLS gets more attention than my Ferrari does.

Matt

14. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Those that are the second owner. Is the remaining original factory warranty transferable to the next owner? (on an SLS)

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yes

16. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Just getting over my last bit of buyers remorse and super close to a deal. Oh well... if I lose $50,000 in five years on this, it will have been money well spent! I plan to weekend drive it for the next 10 years. It is probably my last gas car....

17. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I have both. Drive them OFTEN. I prefer the Conv over the Coupe. The whole gullwing thing gets old after a while. Plus there is a "hump" when you get in and out. your butt has to go over it every time. Conv is more convenient.

18. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    I have inked a deal!

I will go into more details after car is shipped. I have financed part of this purchase through MB financial. The rate I received is stellar. At best, I might be able get it .25 maybe .50 better at a CU since I have an option contract. The GSM said to leave it alone ...of course.. for those in the financial/banking know does MB carry any weight on a credit report for future items (Credit cards, promotions, perks, offers) or is credit... credit?

19. Newport

Newport Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2006
    Wow. What a great car this is!

Magno Alanite Grey on the out, Light Brown with woven seats on the in.... The SOUND ...man... THE SOUND!

[​IMG]

20. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i have a friend of a friend thinking about selling his 2011. silver on red. no CF which i like. 15k miles.

what ya think it's worth ? looked at manheim. they are all over the place. thinking $100-115k ?

how much is that CF ctr console piece ?

21. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    115 is super cheap even with 15k miles the lowest priced SLS I have seen was 125

22. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    With the new AMG GT coming out, do you think SLS prices will soften a little more in the near term? Or do you suspect we're at market bottom?

23. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    yes.

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i went and drove it...... the car is an absolute beast. what noises it makes. he wants 130k which i think is way to high from what i see on manheim. its a low option car.