BMW Z8: Did I miss something? | FerrariChat

BMW Z8: Did I miss something?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Bullfighter, Mar 18, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
  2. BlueBiturbo

BlueBiturbo F1 Rookie

May 19, 2004
    Jakarta
    Full Name:
    TS
    Emphasis on the word "asking"

:D

3. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    It's like every time you turn around, a 150k -200k car is hitting 400k.

4. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And these weren't even $150K a couple of years ago.

First time I've ever thought this way, but a new 458, with all its depreciation in front of it, still seems like a more enjoyable car at this price level than an automatic BMW boulevardier.

I can kind of wrap my head around a $350K+ Dino 246 GTS, because that's a classic car, but these and the $689K 599 GTB make it seem like the universe is out of whack... I absolutely don't see the price being anywhere close to being in line with the inherent value of the car (which got uniformly bad reviews even when launched...)

5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    And the early 911's that are bringing stupid money. People paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a number plate. It's all getting a bit rediculous.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    z8 also sold poorly when new. It does kinda point to the fact that thye dont make acar like this anymore, so there is demand, just like the ford GT.

Of course once could argue the Ftype is a very similar thing to the z8.

Dealers are selling cars as art. What is needed is limited prod, a reckognised premium brand name or halo name, good looks and limited supply or avaliability. Is this so different to some rare option code vette?

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Agreed. I think there will be a correction to prices in the future. There are a lot of cars that have doubled or tripled in value in the last couple of years. I just don't buy it that it is sustainable.

8. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    It's funny you say this, I've always thought their taillights were so similar.

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Z8 = modern day classic. Much like the 507. However; the SL Mercedes (formally the 300 SL of the day), is worthless- mass production

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

IMO it's idiots buying into a huge bubble and I hope it bursts soon. 690K for a manual 599...A good 599 is around 150, swap manual parts in (give or take 20K, don't know on installation cost but if you go to someone that isn't Ferrari it shouldn't be bad) and presto, manual 599.

11. nickmb

nickmb Karting

Dec 11, 2013
    Austin,TX/SoCal
    Full Name:
    Nico
    Wow!

Yikes...

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
  13. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......and the Z8 doesnt catch my eye. The GT40 I get, Dinos sure, but this thing was a pet project that should have been put down.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well we can argue a manual front engined V12 ferrari is a classic formula and amodern one(550 excpeted) so rare soemone just hadda have one.

In reality its a sign thta those who do not know cars are gettign into the market as investments, know a few people who are in that camp, thye read about 400% appreciation and are tryign their hand. So they buy ferrari and they buy rarity, plus of course other factors, but if you know little about cars and are tickign boxes, this one ticks a few.

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Agree, although I'm not saying it's an ugly car. It's not bad. But as you say it's just a parts-bin project with retro-styling. Not a significant car in design, performance or manufacture.

This is full-on, overloaded-with-detergent washing machine floods the house-style bubble territory.

16. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    One sale, or even a proposed asking price, does not make the market. If a few were to sell at that price then that's a whole other story.

I see this stuff all the time with classic cars, even more so than exotics or rare cars.

17. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Note this is the more rare and end-of-production Alpina. I suspect you will find that those in the know prefer the earlier cars with the proper powerplant from the M5 and manual transmission. This screams bubble to me, where the rarity alone, not the intrinsic nature of the car, is driving prices. I think you can find earlier Z8s all day long for way less than half that price.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    yep the alpina was made becauise sales were so slow they wnated to make an auto version.

Lets see if it sells for any type of big price, tells me that the non enthusiast investor is stepping in.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Like the ford Gt it was high end retro done right. Unlike the Gt its pastiche of retro cues so somewhat origional. The non alpina ones had what has to be one of the best BMw motors and one of the greatest v8's. Its rare astheticaly desireable, and in non alpina form great to drive.

Yes its alsoa sign of a bubble, or at elast a dealer trying bubble prices. If there are more non car people starting to buy, they will be guided by dealers, so rare nice looking iconic badges, well the price could be anything if you odnt know cars, and are checking boxes..

Lets see if a new money source is enterign the market. I have to say when i loot at acution prices I just shake my head and say I understand nothing.

Can anyone explain 964 Rs america prices, how are 993 turbos suddenly 250K, and TurboS 400K. How are all chrome bumper 911's suddenly well over 100k and closing in on 200k for a 2.4s.these are iconic but not really that rare, is it related to restoration prices. Do prics flatten here like with etypes or do they keep chugging.

Boxer prices I follow, each month I recalibrate, median prices were 125 a few years back then 250 last year, this year 300 then 350 now 400 seems easily just round the corner for a normal decent car.

20. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I find it interesting that they have 5 Alpinas and no Z-8's.

Joe

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I never understood the alure of the Alpina Z8. Less power and an automatic. I do like the wheels more than a standard Z8, but still...

I've been watching the Z8 prices for a few years now and it's getting out of hand imo. I expect some pull back (much more specifically on those posted) in the next few years. I think it's all due to people trying to find another place/asset to put their money rather than cash or stocks.

22. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    porche 993 turbo almost 250k so nothing surprises me.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Z8s are modern classics and will continue to appreciate.

The last time BMW made a car like that was the 507. And since?

Exactly.

24. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Although I wouldn't call an M1 a modern classic, it is a far more important car imo than the Z8 has been or ever will be. It will be regarded much higher in BMW history post-507 than the Z8. I'd even go as far as saying the Z8 doesn't even come to mind in most peoples mind when you mention BMW...probably a dozen+ different M cars will come to mind first before the Z8 crosses. An M1 going for big $$$ makes a lot more sense than a rebodied E39 M5 with a chassis that bends if you don't do the recall work to it. I'd understand the price if the M powerplant was unique to the car rather than an S62.

25. LNtoast

LNtoast Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    If this happens, will prices drop?

The Euro Could Fall Below $1, Perhaps as Low as 82 Cents
    Barron's-Mar 13, 2015