How to buy a car sight unseen | FerrariChat

How to buy a car sight unseen

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Intheflesh, Mar 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    I am up in the boston area, and have been itching to buy a new to me car. something in the 30-35K range. Things that interest me: Cayenne GTS (1st gen - Had an 06 S titanium for 7 years, and miss it), B8 S4, C63, 335 m sport, etc. Cayenne is really the only SUV i am considering, just because I miss my old one so much, but I am really looking at sedans (we already have an SUV in the household, no need for 2)

Anyways my issue is all of the cars I am looking for are pre-owned, and seldom come for sale locally. All the cars I am looking at seem to be in Ohio, Texas, California, etc.

How do I buy a car out of state? I am not talking about the exchange of money, registration, etc, I mean all the pre-sale stuff?

How do I arrange a PPI? Is a PPI something you do before or after you draw a purchase and sales agreement? Where do you typically take the car for an inspection? Another Dealership, indy?

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Cayennes are all over the place out here, and California is a nice dry state. If you want to play it safe, get a certified pre-owned truck from a Porsche dealer. (If you can find a first gen Cayenne anymore - I imagine they still come in off lease or in trade.) I believe that your local Porsche dealer would honor a CPO warranty. Same would apply to European sedans/coupes. BMW, Merc and Audi have similar programs.

A PPI is a "pre-purchase inspection" and takes place prior to purchase, but often after the seller puts down a deposit. I've never done one on a car I've bought from a dealer, but if you're buying from a private party then, yes, you would want to have one done (at your expense) by a reputable independent who specializes in the marque. You should select the shop that does the PPI.

Also: If the car is in the US, and you're in the US, it's probably worth a flight to see it and be there for the PPI. It's actually not all that expensive to fly to major cities, relative to the amount you'll be spending on the car.

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I have purchased a few cars out of country. Most sellers are good with getting a PPI, you select the shop. The seller (dealer or private party) can either take it for you or when you get to town go in.

Having said that. I don't normally have PPI's done. Most shops use it to get more work. They either think you the buyer will have the work done or the seller will correct things before the car is sold. So they can be a little biased.

The rest is easy. If you buy in California, be aware, they don't have temp trip permits like all the other states. If the plates are expired, you can't move it. Be prepared a buy a trip permit at home before you go. Second, if buying at a dealer, you must ship the car with a licensed carrier. If you don't ship it, a dealer must charge California sales tax. So if you plan on picking up the new to me car at the dealer, and then spend a few days driving around LA. You'll disappointed.

4. Intheflesh

Intheflesh Formula 3

Jun 2, 2006
    Salem NH
    Full Name:
    John T
    some great info.

Every car I have purchased has been local to me (within a 30 min) even my 355. I'm a little weary about buying a car out of state, but I have friends that do it all the time.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I saw a car advertised at an almost-too-good-to-be-true price. I called the seller, and very quickly sent him a deposit and a sales agreement contingent on the results of a PPI. I flew out and drove the car home and never had a single regret.

Many others who wanted the same car lost. Send a deposit and a sales contract contingent on a PPI. You can't lose.

Matt

6. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes, just GET IT IN WRITING!

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I have sent a deposit to private sellers. But would never send them full payment. Too many scam artists to be totally trusting. Known dealers, I'm comfortable sending them full payment and having them ship me the car. But I usually inspect the car in person before buying it.

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have bought quite a few cars sight unseen though they have all been from dealers with good reputations. I just bought a 650i coupe that way a couple months ago that way and I have never had an issue. They are people on this board who will have a look at cars for other members (I have done it a couple times). Or if you know a dealer in your area you can ask them to look for a car for you. Last December my local BMW dealer helped me find a car for my girlfriend (she wanted a particular color and optioned 650 conv which is hard to find in this part of the country) and we found the car at a dealer in Florida and they got from them. There is always a certain amount of risk (unless you know the car and its history) when buying any used car CPO'd or not but the first thing I would be looking at is the reputation of the seller. Good luck

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Forgot to mention. I trust private EBay sellers more then Craigslist. The EBay feedback is usually a pretty good tell about the seller.

My daily driver is a Cayenne, had it since 04. Never had any real problems with it. The biggest item was a starter motor. Changed last week. Its the best handling SUV out and has good off the line performance. My only regret was buying an S and not the GTS or turbo.