What is with the fascination with horsepower, irrespective of all else. | FerrariChat

What is with the fascination with horsepower, irrespective of all else.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kverges, Mar 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    It seems as though in the past five years, horsepower wars have accelerated, and somewhat inexplicably so in light of all of the initiatives to reduce fuel consumption. 1000 hp Bugatti's, 700-plus horsepower Dodges,and the list goes on and on. Even Tesla's latest offering is counted primarily for its three second 0-60 Sprint with extra electric motors.

With the most rare of exceptions, every car has gotten heavier. Do so few automotive consumers appreciate the benefit of light weight that no manufacturer will make anything that is light, other than Mazda's upcoming Miata and BMW taking the M3/4 down to 3500+ Lbs.

Even Lotus increased the mass of their primary car in the United States over 1000 pounds with the Evora taking over from the Elise.

I personally opted not to purchase the new Corvette Z06 due to the approximately 400 pound weight gain, and opted to pay a ridiculous premium to buy a Porsche GT3 that even though it is around 3200 pounds, is hardly svelte.

I'd try an Alfa 4C but they are nowhere to be found to test drive, and my preconceived notion is that it can't possibly be substantially better than my Elise.

As usual, I am on the lunatic fringe, but it really does surprise me with all of the enthusiast cars that seem to exist that they are also incredibly bloated.

2. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Because many people who are now old enough to buy cars grew up playing GranTurismo or Forza, and all they care about is absolute performance. Basically because of bragging rights, not because of how their car actually drives.

3. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Horsepower is easy, especially in the case of the Tesla. Hit the go pedal in a straight line and the cars with big HP numbers accelerate ferociously. It is a cheap thrill. Most people are able to demonstrate performance in a car based on acceleration. It takes the least skill of any driving and has the biggest wow factor. Lots of people, even non-car people, can appreciate a fast car. They also want a nav system, comfy ride, comfy interior, automation, safety etc... All of that adds up to the fact that the average consumer, even for performance cars, doesn't want to make compromises.

A light weight car will always have compromises, whether it is price or comfort or overall performance, it is going to give up something to achieve the light weight. Most people aren't able to explore the performance gains provided by a lack of weight. And most lightweight cars have a narrow envelope of performance where they can outshine a heavier more powerful car. There is generally a lot more joy in driving these lightweight cars even though the performance envelope isn't as big.

Most people that can afford a performance car are at the point in their life where they don't want to make those types of compromises. They want a fast car that rides well and is comfortable. I think this is why the Nissan GT-R is a disappointment for many. The car is big, heavy, fast etc... but it rides like crap. For that kind of weight, you wouldn't expect to compromise the ride quality. If it weighed 3,000lbs and rode that way it would make sense.

Question: Even though the new Vette is heavier, is it outperformed by it's predecessor? If the new Vette beats the lighter car around the track does it matter that its a porker?

(I know there is joy to be found that can't be measured in numbers, just playing devils advocate. There is also the obvious concern about how long a big heavy car can run at full tilt before the weight catches up by eating brakes, tires etc...)

4. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Both of your posts use "performance" as synonymous with "horsepower," and that may be the primary issue. IMO they are not the same.

Agreed comfort, NVH, and safety compromises exist for the sake of light weight, but all things being equal, including power/weight ratio, the lighter car will not only outperform the heavier car, it will do so at a lower cost of consumables especially tires and brakes.

And I agree that most folks want the luxury to go with performance, so I'd expect 90% of the market to favor comfort over weight.

But as far as I know, it is impossible to buy a car right now under about 2500 lbs. My Elise just turned 10 and on the scales it was about 1930 lbs when I weighed it shortly after purchase. Back in 2005, at my home track with castoff Toyo RA1s from the day, I could run 1:22s. This was before the supercharged variants came out. Bone stock, my MP4-12C can run maybe 1:19s, but I've only seen 1:20s for sure. And the Lotus can run full-tilt for 30 minutes at a time, whereas the Mac better have a relatively cool day and be maximally prepped with fresh brake pads and a fresh Castrol SRF fill and bleed.

I am confident a street-compromised car could be built well under 2500 lbs, but it appears that I'd be the only one who cared enough to buy it.

I know, boo, hoo, but wow is it ignorant in my mind to think you can power up and get performance entirely that way, especially if you pork out in the process (big power begets big, heavy brakes, wheels, tires, suspension components, cooling systems and more).

Look at the extreme end of the spectrum, albeit a race car. My SRF3 with literally 120 rwhp also runs 1:19s and does it lap after lap. The main ingredient? 1560 lbs with me in it. Get more extreme like a FM and it runs 1:12s with 175 hp. 1350 lbs with driver (and some modest downforce and slicks).

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Good points all, and to answer your question, I do think the new Corvette Z06 can post a faster lap time than the old Z06. A question no one seems to ask is for how many laps and at what cost of consumables. It appears the fast guys in the new Z are going through a set of PSCup2s in about 4-6 hours of track time, and uncertain on brake pad and rotor longevity.

6. Milanno

Milanno Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2012
    You always have trends that are artificially created in automotive industry, so thrill of future buyers is always on very high level.

Trends are organized through circles that are exchanging how time passes. In one moment you have smaller car trend, than bigger car trend, than cars with bigger & bigger engines, than louder & louder ones and so on.

Now we are facing transition from more power trend to more lightweight car.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    For the majority of people, they want luxury and convenience. This means heated seats, navigation, a comfortable roomy interior, and power everything. All this adds weight. The government mandates safety standards that make cars very safe today, but it adds weight and bulk. Likewise the push to reduce noise, vibration, and harshness means more sound deadening, more advanced electronic suspension and steering systems, this too adds weight.

Add weight, must add horsepower and bigger brakes (more weight!). 100 hp/liter used to be considered remarkable for a NA car, today my lowly Accord four-banger almost has that. And the forced induction vehicles are really crazy, Ferrari is leading the way with nearly 200 hp/liter in the new 488.

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The number of drivers who have the skills to appreciate the joys of lightweight sports cars carving through tricky corners is falling faster than the availability of 3 pedal cars on dealer lots.

My neighbor has never tracked his car or ever driven it around a corner at 7/10ths yet he dreams of another 200 or 300hp because he can afford it and it satisfies his male ego for "more"

9. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Horsepower requirements of a 80's Top Fuel dragster to go 5.0 sec in a quarter mile was about 3000hp, today a 3.5 sec run takes about 10,000 hp. Horsepower goes almost exponential to gains in performance at some point. It's the basic reason the new Bugatti will probably need to have 1500 hp to have much of a real gain in performance over the old one. As long as Ferraris keep getting bigger and heavier, they will need more power just to have the same performance as the last smaller model. Now if they want to better it, they will need more power.

On a different note, I have often thought that Supercars have gotten bigger for the sole purpose of charging more money. I think it is a subconscious decision that people will automatically justify paying more for a larger supercar with high horsepower. It seems to be, bigger + more power = big money. The exception to this is the Sesto Elemento Lamborghini, IMO the perfect car.

10. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    It's an American thing. The cars couldn't handle the twisties so the quarter mile times became número uno. It's all marketing.

Really.

11. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Funny I wrote something like this on the Abarth Forum. It took me a long time to realize that I enjoyed saying I owned cars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's more than I enjoyed driving them mostly because they are not that much fun when driven the way I had to where I live. The 997 I turned into a car so loud, fast, and scary that it wants to kill you if you're not paying attention spends more and more time in the garage, not because I am afraid of it, but because what I did to it does not make it the most comfortable car to drive, you feel everything. I see no reason for cars that are given so much power that it takes skills (99% of the buyers will never have) to use but it is marketing. I enjoy the little modified Abarth more than I ever enjoyed the exotic cars I owned and the 650i coupe I recently picked up (and added the Dinan stuff) drives like a 2 ton freight train it's certainly got power but Keith is right it does not have performance, that is a different thing. Performance seems to have different meanings to different people and to me cars like the Elise and the Miata (and the 997 I rebuilt) have it. I think I have come to terms with the fact I am past the age I needing that in a car at least most of the time. The male ego is a very thing and mine cost me plenty until I grew up enough to learn to control it. But don't think for a second marketers are not aware of it and try everything they can to use yours to their advantage.

12. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I also drive/love my lotus elise. But...

Its like a tin can where every bump in road seems like it will break car in half. No one ever wants to be a passenger in it. A fender bender can total the car. Can barely fit a briefcase in it. They sold very poorly when they were offered. Only works for me because i have other cars too. And safety regulations are probably biggest issue facing industry.

Besides, 0-60 has been most important metric since forever. So need big hp

13. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Hillbilly 'merica. Poser capital of the world.

14. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #14 normv, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    DOT, insurance industry all mandate certain safety measures. For example, Higher door sills, you no longer can comfortably hang your arm on top of the door while driving, this protects the occupants more. Which adds weight along with stronger intrusion bars located inside a door, have you ever picked up a modern door by itself its no MGB anymore. Higher headlamps and not many flip up lights anymore all raising the front ends making the car seem larger. Convertibiles need to be stronger for not only flexing but to survive a roll over, again its no longer a MGB. Air bags, not only for the driver and passenger but side curtains and rear passenger as well, all add weight that weren't accounted before. ECMs BCMs sensors that control engine emissions. TMPS tire pressures sensors, back up cameras. Traction control with ABS for slippery conditions all required by safety concerns, these all mean extra weight that need additional force to meet the same or even better performance than what we had just a few years ago.

A Z28 Camaro today weighs close to 4000Lbs, 300Lbs less than a standard ZL1Camaro
    A 1969 Z28 weighs around 2800Lbs, but will get spanked by the newer bigger more comfortable safer and get better fuel economy to boot. Unfortunately a 2015Z costs 13 times more than a 69Z, but that's another subject.

Your F40 would never get built today, forget about passing DOT or TUV not going to happen, better keep her. It would need another 250hp just to keep up, LOL.

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 unveiled with lightweight body and hard power - SlashGear

ZL1
    RWD MSRP1 Starting from $60,555

Build & Price

Dimensions

ZL1

Base Curb Weight
    4374 lbs

Trunk Volume
    10.20 ft3

Height, Overall
    54.70 in

Length, Overall
    190.6 in

Track Width, Front
    63.70 in

Track Width, Rear
    63.70 in

Wheelbase
    112.30 in

Width, Max w/o mirrors
    75.50 in

Front Head Room
    37.80 in

Front Leg Room
    42.40 in

Front Shoulder Room
    56.90 in

Passenger Capacity

Rear Head Room
    35.70 in

Rear Leg Room
    29.90 in

Rear Shoulder Room
    42.50 in

15. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #15 normv, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Hello, I know you are being sarcastic, but for GM to build a ZO6 Corvette with all the mandated nanny stuff that can be competive to a Porsche Cayman GT4 (which is a Fantastic car) for a lot less money is a "really big fxxxxxg deal" as our esteemed Vice President said.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/03/porsche-cayman-gt4-gets-911-gt3-components/

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    HP rules and is fun.

17. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Actually the Cadillac engineers have gone to great lengths to create the lightest sport sedan in the segment. My new ATS is lighter than its German competition and you can feel that in the way it drives. Combined with excellent feel in both the brakes and steering and you have a fun DD.
    I'd love to see GM do a "clubsport" Corvette(no forced induction, less amenities, lightweight seats,glass,wheels,etc). The C7 is a great platform and would be even better for track use in such a light version.

Oh how times have changed. GM is generally acknowledged to be building the sport sedans with the best driving dynamics, the Camaro and Corvette handle as good as anything and the new Mustang GT is being compared very favorably with the M cars.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Dumb people don't look at the car specs overall. They look at HP and 0-60 figures when buying a new car. If they have a 458 and the new 488 didn't gain any significant hp and the 0-60 stayed the same, they wouldn't buy it (or that's what the marketing man believes). Don't worry about the car actually being faster where it matters...

We're awfully close to 1000hp entry level Ferrari's.

I fully understand that tire/brake tech has improved significantly in the last 15 years and cars so an improve in power is fully warranted, but 300hp and nearly double the torque is just ridiculous.

I wish for the HP race to end. Add lightness instead.

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I am with you, and convinced a lighter car can be built. Sure 90% or even 99% of sports car buyers don't care about weight, but 1% seems enough of a market to go for it.

20. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    People like torque but buy horsepower.

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    An engine doesn't produce horsepower, it produces torque. Horsepower is the sum of the formula: HP = Torque X RPM/5252.

22. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I think you guys have a lot of good points.

I'm not a fan of the ever-increasing horsepower wars, though I do understand the marketing value.

I'm also in the habit of asking someone what their car weighs whenever they quote a horsepower figure... surprisingly few know the answer. I guess you wouldn't have much luck selling Harvey Homeowner a car by talking about roll center.

I find very few new cars appealing, for the following reasons:

• Features that serve to insulate you from the joy of driving while enhancing safety for the distracted and unaware.
    • Regulatory compliance issues that lead to high beltlines and a tiny greenhouse with gun-slit windows.
    • Accessories of dubious value that require giant batteries, alternators and loads of heavy wiring.
    • Designs that look like they came out of a wind tunnel program with no thought to style.
    • Front ends that look menacing with giant fake air inlets.
    Well, they're selling the fantasy of a lifestyle ... via what are mostly basic transportation appliances. Ever notice how many car ads suggest that your daily driver will determine how you're judged by society? I don't even know what half of my coworkers drive. "Performance" cars are sold with more than a suggestion of aggressiveness... I always thought they were just "fun".

It's really lost on me.

I'm actively in the market for more cars, but none of them are new.

To quote the younger generation: Meh.

23. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
  24. MABfan11

MABfan11 Rookie

Mar 27, 2015
    lightweight(think F40)+1500HP