Golf R or Focus RS | FerrariChat

Golf R or Focus RS

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by texasmr2, Mar 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Both hit the US market this year, touch $40K, and have some serious potential. Instead of playing (building) another MR2T or Miata turbo I am considering picking up a used (certified) version in a few years. The Golf R (tested) is getting very high praise for not only performance but build quality so the Focus RS regardless of its WRC history better get its stuff together. The Golf R does not offer a true manual while the Focus RS will. A test drive is in order.

Any thoughts?

2. acuransx20001

acuransx20001 Karting

May 19, 2005
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Abraham
    The Golf R will have the option to have a manual next year. It may be worth the wait so the bugs can get worked out.

3. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I forgot that detail and I'm just thinking out loud.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    These limited edition hot hatches don't seem to depreciate all that much, and I don't think these will be any different. Check out prices for used STIs to see what I mean.

I think if you want one, it is best to just buy a new one, so you know you are getting a car that hasn't been beaten to death by the PO.

5. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I have done a little "just for fun" research and you are correct.

You are right. Hot compacts are usually driven by a younger driver who just played GT4 and abuse not only the clutch but the entire car. In 2011 I drove a Evo VIII and what a POS (except for the engine), in '85 my '85 MR2 was built better!

Once they both hit dealer showroom's I'm am going to go for test drives. Heck I might not like either one and save $30K+ (on the initial purchase) and do the MR2T or Miata turbo project. :p

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I've driven a normal Focus and was pretty impressed by the driving dynamics and interior quality (though I didn't like the design of the infotainment/nav system). I've also driven a lot of VW products which drove very well, especially when you consider the segments they compete in (such as a 2000 Passat 1.8T).

If I were to buy either one this year, I'd have to go for the Focus RS because of the manual transmission. However, the Golf R will offer a stick later this year, so if you were willing to wait to buy it, it would be a great car as well.

The one thing I don't really like about the Golf R is that it doesn't really look very special. I mean sure, enthusiasts will know what it is, but unless you prefer understated performance it's not really gonna fit the bill there. The Focus RS, on the other hand, will most likely not be mistaken for a serious pocket rocket, but of course this would probably mean the police would be a little more likely to stop you.

So, I'd go with the RS, but I don't think you could really go wrong with either.

7. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The RS is what I would be more inclined to purchase but I wish the VC said Cosworth.

8. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    If people don't need/want the 4 wheel drive, there are going to be a ton of focus STs traded in for RSs that'll be cheap. I think they'll be one of the best fun used car deals around next year.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Hopefully ford will fix the severely overboosted brakes and put the throttle peddle not so far away. Those two flaws make heal and tow downshifts impossible, ruining one of the best reasons to drive a stick.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    That's what my 17 year old is counting on! ;)

11. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    True and the ST's are nice but Gregg does not do FWD.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #12 boxerman, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
    The golf R looks to be as the english say a aserious pirece of Kit. From whatI read built as German cars used to be. The Rs I imagine may be a little lighter on its feet. Depends what you wnat it for. As a daily the Golf will probably be a more comfortable and rewarding experience and a used Golf is likely to be less abused..

40K is a lot of scratch for either, though used the Rs may be less than the golf. For that money I would try scarpe the xtra and get a Gt350r, good on street and will probably be great on track.

13. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    Thew R isn't a true AWD car. I think it is a FWD car most of the time with some torque sent to the rear as needed. That was my understanding of it.

14. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #14 texasmr2, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Following this train of thought one should remember that there is not a TRUE AWD performance oriented vehicle on the market and not even the GT-R has "true AWD".

Frankly I only care about driving dynamics and how well "I FEEL" in the car with my driving style, knowledge and technique.

Go thunk.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    was at the Ny show. Golf R was a nice car, not a 40k car though, for thta money a mustang Gt seems way more machine. Foucs Rs seemed really nice for alittle fast car. If its the same money as the Golf, then the golf is a more quality item,

16. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    How are you defining "true AWD"? There are plenty of 50/50 or 40/60 torque split AWD cars, or even 20/80 - try Audi, Audi, Audi, Porsche, etc. etc. I'd agree that the early generation Haldex systems aren't true AWD, more like FWD turning to AWD on demand - but generations of quattro cars are true AWD. Subaru manual trans AWD cars have been true AWD for a decade or two, while the automatic trans AWD cars were more like FWD with AWD on demand.

17. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #17 texasmr2, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    I stand by what I said and WTH does any mention of a Ford GT have to do in a sport compact thread, the attention span here is often sad.

18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I don't mind what you said, but I'm interested in understanding it - if you don't feel there are any "true AWD" performance cars on the market, I'm interested to hear how you define "true AWD".

19. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Mustang GT was mentioned. You can get a fully optioned Mustang GT for the same price or less than the Golf R or Focus RS. Very different car...but something I would consider if I was looking at new cars in the $40K range.

20. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Love the irony in this post. Hahahha.

21. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #21 texasmr2, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    Irony is one of my strongest traits, I thought you knew that by now (just making fun of myself and not taking this topic too seriously). I think it is great that Ford is finally bringing the RS stateside, that's all.

Happy Easter.

22. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Come on, we're dying to know - what is your definition of "true AWD", and why don't performance oriented cars like the Audi S4, S5, RS5, R8, Subaru WRX and STI, Mitsubishi Evolution 8, qualify as "true AWD performance oriented cars"?

You made that claim, you've stated separately that you stand by it, so it would be most helpful if you would explain it, please.

23. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Hanging by a thread are we??

24. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Saw focus and golf today and i would take the focus based on looks. Will be very interesting to see how they drive.

25. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Honestly, I think your statement was frankly ridiculous, and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of how AWD works. I just want to hear how you can possibly justify such a nonsensical statement. I think it will be very amusing and entertaining to see what sort of nonsense you try to invent.

You could always just say you misunderstood and were mistaken, but I very much doubt you ever would... I think instead that you'll dodge and ignore the challenge, as you have been so far, to avoid embarrassing yourself further.