Opinions on Honda's S2000 roadster? | FerrariChat

Opinions on Honda's S2000 roadster?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Yoric, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    As some of you may realize by now I'm a curious and fickle buyer. At the moment I have three possibilities on my radar screen: Triumph TR-4, BMW 2002 and--as of last night-- Honda's little S2000. The latter was brought to my attention by a good friend who owned one some years ago and only sold it because he was too tall for it. Anything good or bad you have to say about these cars and any idea where they're to be found? I live in the greater Denver metro area.
    TIA

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Other than the usual online car sources, the best source for S2000's is on S2KI.com within their "Cars For Sale" section.
    Personally I would opt for the later model (Ap2) with it's better handling, better seating and safety measures. Of the three choices you've indicated the S2000 is the far better handling and faster choice, expect to pay a premium for a low mileage, original car. A well cared for S2000 is practically bullet proof in reliability, takes well to mods and makes a great track car.

3. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    The S2000 is a wonderful car. I had a 04 AP2, and tracked the heck out of it. Solid as a rock. Sold it only because I had my first child on the way, and because I had moved to an E36 M3 track-only car.

I'm looking for a really low mileage S2000 currently. They are out there, but be prepared to pay original MSRP. More if you find an 08 CR.

4. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I have an 03 which I bought new and absolutely love it. Mine is an Ap1 with the 9k redline it is a bit more raw than the AP2's but I have taken many 200+mile trips in it with no problem. They are very reliable other than extreme rear tire wear I haven't had any issues and I have put 55k on mine. I would suggest you check out www.s2ki.com it is a wealth of information and if you have any specific questions I would be glad to answer them for you.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Wow I haven't checked prices lately I didn't realize they had gone up in value that much.

6. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Out of those three I'd go for the S2000 hands down. It's a Honda so it should be more reliable than the other two, definitely more so than any British car of that era.

7. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    All this S2000 talk is making me rethink my choice of another MR2 (MKI-MKII) down the road. Easy to work on, rwd and willingly accepts a turbo set-up.

Damn you!! LOL

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Big deal. I'd hope a modern car would be faster and more reliable than a decades old British roadster and German sport sedan.
    Complete apples to oranges.

9. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    We have owned our 2005 S2000 since early 2006 and love it. Bullet proof reliable, tons of fun, it is like a high powered go-kart. Finding a well cared low mileage one may be difficult, many have been modified or trashed and the secret of how great these cars truly are has been out for the couple of years.

10. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #10 texasmr2, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Shamefully I have never even sat in one and fitment is a key aspect. The AP2 from what was said seems to have solved some of the first generation issues. Now I gotta locate a AP2 and arrange a test drive (ie "white knuckle the sales rep").

PS, Always loved this screamer but the neighbors might have a different opinion.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6Xt5rM25c

11. humps2120

humps2120 Karting

Feb 19, 2007
    Waterloo
    Full Name:
    Jarrett
    #11 humps2120, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have had my 2005 AP2 for 4 years now. The car has been bullet proof (touch wood) and is a blast to drive. For a roadster the trunk holds a decent amount for road trips. The gearbox is excellent with very short shifts and the rev happy nature of the engine keeps things fun. I have been extremely happy with mine.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Nice!

I watched this video earlier and thought it is worth a share....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9C-SV2YuSI

13. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Excellent car - front mid engine, very stiff chassis, and an engine that is likely a thing of the past - NA and high revving.

a car built for drivers.

The differential has some weaknesses - I don't know the details but I know it is a low failure rate and comptech has an upgraded case or something.

And if you want to tweak the car, Comptech and Science of Speed are there for you.

Low depreciation rate too.

14. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Rather have the TR or the BMW....

15. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Most of us also would but they, too me, are more 'passionate toys' and not really DD's like the S2000. I long for a TR6 and if that goal is realized it would not be a DD, too many fools on the road without a license or insurance much less common sense.

16. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    May I ask for a favor? Can someone run a CarFax on a 2000 S2000 for me, JHMAP1144YT000843. The vehicle has 191K miles and since it is a AP1 (I assume it is) model what concerns should I be aware of? I KBB'd the vehicle and it is valued by KBB at $5,999 (they are asking $7,980) while my '04 525i is KBB'd at $7,250.

Here is the link and I am just toying with the idea but I want another roadster/sports car.... Used Honda S2000 For Sale - CarGurus

Thanks for any help.

17. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    What fun! I've now (and for now) dropped the BMW 2002 from the shopping list and will concentrate on the TR-4 and the S2000. On the Honda website cited above I've learned that the rear hubs/bearings can be troublesome but only because the factory torque specs (180 lbs) are insufficiently low and must be upped (~250lbs), other than that no single common complaint. What I'm amazed at is the longevity of these high revving little engines, having seen cars approaching 200,000 with little work needed. Imagine valve adjustments at 100,000 miles! I'm considering a 38K miles car near me for $19,500, perhaps a tad high for a 2001 model year, but it's a one-owner and I even like the color. As for the TR-4, nary a one within a 500 mi range of Longmont, CO.

18. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    A common problem is the axle nut comes loose but it is not a big deal. It backs off a tiny bit any you will hear a click when you start off in reverse and when you shift into first but you get the warning way before the nut comes seriously loose. I had it tightened at the dealership and I think it cost me about 40 bucks. If you have a 36mm socket wrench you can do it yourself.

19. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I'm 6'3 270lbs and have an ap1 and fit relatively comfortably but I would suggest you try one on for size before buying.

20. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #20 texasmr2, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    I am at the dealership now and will be taking a test drive before any decision is made. Thanks

21. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    The S2000 is a truly wonderful car.

22. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I just returned home after a informal inspection and will return later for a formal test session. Knowing Honda and how reliable they are (takes a licking and keeps on ticking just like my MR2's) this may be the car for me but the dealer must offer a CarFax report and, if any, service records. I like the subtle color as it does not scream "pull me over" but as Rob mentioned only attest drive for fitment will tell the truth. All body seams are tight and the interior is in above average condition for a 15yr old car but there is one flaw that I will insist the dealer take care of, the drivers door handle is broken off, but other than that she is a beauty.

23. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Not me, I drove 2002 that my uncle had and owned an E30 M3, no more BMWs for after those, they were to me the definition of over rated. The M3 is one of the very few cars that I have owned which did not exceed my expectations, I kept waiting for the "magic" and after 2 years of it not showing up I moved on. Replaced it with a NSX and then my current F355, never looked back and certainly not missed. Can't speak to the TR4 but a friend of mine had a TR6 and it was a pretty car when it was running.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Can't go wrong with the S2000.

25. texasmr2

BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #25 texasmr2, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    So I just returned home after the S2000 test drive and I liked the car but not enough to give up the luxury of my BMW. The car purred, clutch was great, shifter had that Miata feel and the leg room was more than ample. The biggest flaw is the steering wheel is not adjustable, even my MKI MR2's had some form of adjustment.

Back to plan A, pay off the BMW and look for another MKI MR2 and turbo the hell out of it.