New BMW M5 vs new BMW M3: which one? | FerrariChat

New BMW M5 vs new BMW M3: which one?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by bobbyd, Apr 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Aside from the obvious cost difference, any one here have experience about which is the better car to own and drive?

For context I would be coming out of a 2003 E39 M5 which I bought new.

Thanks.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Keep E39
    Buy late E90 M3 four door DCT.

I had E39 M5 bought new, regret selling it. Great motor.

We have E90 M3 DCT. S65 motor is one of best if not the best motor ever to come out of Motorsport. Steering is sublime.

New F10 and F30 M's have production based motors as will all M-cars here out. Steering sucks. Simulated engine noise.

They've lost their minds and me.

Go drive an E63S. I bought a wagon, and love it as much as my E39 M5. Hadn't had Benz in 28 years. M157 motor is great, and 4wd chassis still lets me slide it around without being drift car like 2wd AMG.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have owned several M3's and have driven an M5. The M3 is a better drivers car and more fun to flick around. The M3 is quick but the M5 is faster and more comfortable.
    I vote for the M3.

The engine noise comment by the poster above is interesting. I ran into this on a twin turban 911 I was thinking of buying. The car had zero exhaust sound. They had a chip that gives a noise through the radio. I have seen complaints on this Forum about the recent Ferrari's. Maybe these are new European noise standards? I do not know.

I do know my 2013 Lamborghini has good sound.

I will be interested to hear what pther posters have seen especially our European friends.

Best

Lee

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Solution: new 4 door M6!

:D

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    the M6 Gran Coupe, despite making no sense (it's a four door version of the two door version of a four door car), is my favorite current BMW.

6. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It depends on what you will use it for but since you said M3 instead of M4 and M5 instead of M6, I assume you're looking for a saloon car, 4 doors and relatively comfortable. in that case I'd go with the M5. It looks better, is faster, and is more comfortable. Probably worse handling than the 3, but I have always thought the 5 series a better all-rounder.

Consider an M6 GC though. Gorgeous car...

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Curb weight
    E39 M5: 4024#
    E90 M3: 3850#
    F10 M5: 4200#
    M6 GC: 4400#

More weight, less room. Win/win...wait, what?

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    holy cow...why is the GC so heavy?!? :eek:

9. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The E39 M5 weighs less.

From the M5board, pretty good source of info:
    No one seems to know why BMW measured the E39 that way, apparently they went back to a more standard format for the newer cars.

The new M3 is virtually identical in almost every dimension as the E39 M5. It is nowhere near as luxurious, it feels more "boy racer". The lighter weight (BMW knocked 300-400 pounds out compared to the prior version) really helps the feel of the car.

The M5, which is already halfway through its life cycle, is bigger and heavier, but it packs a lot of power! And it can be tuned to over 700 rather easily. No car this big should handle this well.

But like the newer BMW's, the driving experience is less connected. Drive both, I suspect the OP will prefer the driving experience of the M3, but the size, comfort and power of the M5.

Regards,
    Jerry