Driving comparo: AMG GT v 991 GTS (video, 7:33) | FerrariChat

Driving comparo: AMG GT v 991 GTS (video, 7:33)

Discussion in 'Other German' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Apr 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGYYhaSYbX4[/ame]

2. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    The only thing those two vehicles have in common are their price points. Just my opinion of course.

3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Disagree. Most would cross shop this mb w 911. Mb has more wow factor but 911 always wins these comparisons. I must be a weirdo bc i think 911 are very over rated

4. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I can see that happening. I was mainly basing my opinion up on the chassis and engine layout but it would be nice to have both.

5. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    From the owner of 6 Ferraris, several British roadsters of the late 60s and early 70s, Vettes, Viper, Benz, Audis, Z cars,M cars and more, the 911 is simply the best sports car in the world. While not always the most powerful, it is the perfect balance of everything that makes driving fun IMHO. I will always keep at least one in my garage.

6. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i saw one driving today in buckhead. very nice looking. sounds awesome

7. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Since I just put money down to custom build a GTS, I'm certain I'm not fully objective. As one who actually did a comparison of the GTS to the 911, the Jag F-Type and others, I'd say it comes down to which one gives you the best sense of engagement, the desired look at feel, and which one really "does it" for you. For me, that was the GTS. I've never been that much of a Porsche guy, but recognize it is a great driver's car & know guys who wouldn't trade theirs for a Merc, a Ferrari or anything else. The F-Type was too much of a hooligan (as described by one reviewer) and lacked some of the fit and finish of the GTS. The Porsche was still in second-place at the end, mostly because of nothing more than a subjective feel of which car I liked best.

The GTS is muscular, powerful, and drives beautifully. The manual shifts are almost beyond description, and the torque throughout the range is remarkable. I drove the California T a few months ago (and owned a 2012 California before trading it for the GTS); the acceleration in the GTS is similar, and the shifting was quicker IMHO. From the driver's seat, it is sturdy, and quite responsive. You can tailor the specific ride to your liking, using the degree of nannies you might want. It certainly is more Teutonic than the Ferrari, but I intend to use it as a daily driver, and think it will work well in that role.

Of course, YMMV; for me, this is how I saw it. Comparing the Porsche and GTS helps refine what you might think, but no one actually buying one or the other would base their final decision on such things IMO. The way you feel when you look at it, and then drive it, will be the key.

8. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow. trade a cali for new gts is not something I would expect. wont you at least miss to open top being in so cal?

9. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Yes, I labored over that a lot. I looked at the SL, and also the Porsche and Jag drop-tops. I wanted a DD (which, for me, the California was not due to the party that generally follows a red Ferrari wherever it goes), but also wanted something that reminded me a little both of the old muscle car as well as a sport touring car. Not entirely a rational decision, but the GTS is at a level where I believe I'll feel comfortable using it for a lot of things (I also ordered it in silver, so it is more low-key while still retaining a "presence" on the road). I still have another drop top in the garage, so I'm not entirely deprived of being in the elements when desired.

10. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    #10 jvmax, May 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got a 50th anniversary which is basically a GTS and I am very happy with it. Here is a pic with my 1966 Porsche 912, these are my bookend Porsches. I also own a 1991 911 c4, a 1995 c2, a 2005 GT3 and a 2011 Boxster spyder so I am a Porsche fanatic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
  12. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Just read on Yahoo that only 900 GT-S sold vs. 5000 911's ...

13. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    wow with its nice looks and stellar media reviews, I would think gts is a comparative big seller. maybe when the lesser gt comes out next year?

there are so many different 911 variations that its not a fair comparison though.

14. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    GT S vs GTS, blurred lines... referring to which car ??? when only using the model designator characters

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Nicely put, and I have had my share of Italian, British, American, and British cars as well. At the moment I have 2 Porsche's in my garage, there is just something about them that gives me an instant feeling of driving pleasure. No matter what Porsche model I get into I feel as if I know exactly what the car is capable of, and what I am capable of doing while driving it. No other car make has ever made me feel that way.

16. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1