Polaris Slingshot - game changer? | FerrariChat

Polaris Slingshot - game changer?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by rdefabri, May 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My wife saw a Polaris Slingshot by the boardwalk today, which prompted me to check it out online.

Starting at $20K for the base model, this thing is absolutely a steal when compared to the KTM X-Bow ($80K) and the Ariel Atom ($60K).

2015 Polaris Slingshot | 3-Wheel Motorcycle - Reverse Trike

I wouldn't even consider the other two over this in terms of price. Performance seems pretty strong too...on top of all that, my wife wants one!! :D

2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Look closer. It's a toy compared the X-Bow or Atom. I looked at a couple of them real close. The build quality did not look great. I really want to like them, but it look really unfinished and thrown together.

At $13k, I'd be a buyer. At $20k, not a chance.

Mark

3. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would totally believe it's cheaper - I mean it's 20K, less than even the price of the Can-Am Spider.

Wonder what they will be like on resale - probably crap, so great opp to get one used...

4. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    In a few years when they are under $10k they will represent great value.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Texas won't license them for the street.

6. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I've looked at them a few times up close, I'd rather have an Atom any day. It's an oddity, and quirky, and I'm sure it's fun to drive. But it just doesn't seem special, kind of a copy of the T-Rex.

7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Both the Atom and the T-Rex are 3x the price of the slingshot.

It seems like a lot of fun for $20K..but if I have to wear my motorcycle gear anyway, perhaps I should just ride my motorcycle

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Judging from what I have seen regarding the reliability of Polaris snowmobiles I wouldn't buy one.

9. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I have a friend that just bought one, he was out the door for almost $30k..and I wasnt impressed with the seatbelt, no harness, and you do have to wear a helmet and gear just like a motorcycle which is cumbersome...looks kind of cool but id rather pick up a used Atom for more $$..

10. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Meh - the Atom doesn't do it for me, I rather prefer the Light Car Company Rocket (but WAY out of my league).

Truth be told, I'm not sold on 3 wheelers other than the Morgan.

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I would rather have one than a Can-Am, which seems to have the disadvantages of a a motorcycle while lacking the experience of one. Can-Am and Slingshoti are better than the trikes with two wheels in the back I guess. As a Goldwing alternative I guess I can understand the appeal of the Spyder. They just shipped their 100,000th Can-Am, so it is understandable why Polaris wants into the game as well. The Slingshot seems to be more car than bike obviously.

Not sure about taking a motorcyle driving test in a Slingshot though...

12. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    The state I live in doesn't require a helmet so it would be fun. I am a big fan of simple machines. The Morgan 3 wheeler is awesome but the price is rediculous. The price on the Polaris is right but it is ugly. I want to like it but it is just so hideous. Looks like a hoot to drive even though it isn't too powerful. Engine is the 2.0 GM 4 cylinder.

I wish them well and I thought I was a buyer till I looked at one in person. I am now thinking a RZR 1000 4 seater licensed for the street would be a better option for the same price.

13. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #13 Wade, May 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Don't you need a pilots license for those?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    My friend has the standard Ranger, and even that is a total hoot. Fast and useful, we were jumping some hills on his farm. Always wanted one, but can't justify the $$$

You can get a used one for a decent price, but for me it would be nothing more than a toy.

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Would be for me as well if I had a place to play. But it sure beats a golf cart and have you priced one of those lately (new)?

16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The figure 8 test might be a bit tight...

17. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I said that to my wife. I've had a license since I'm 20 or so - I took mine on a scooter, so much easier.

She's not a "car guy", but she really likes this thing. I'd actually be cool with it, just trying to figure out how to do it financially.

I've got 2 cars that need to go - my 2000 Lexus and my Jaguar XJS-12. That might free up the funds to get a Slingshot. Since she doesn't have a motorcycle license (yet), I could drive around in the thing...that would be a blast.

18. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Drive one and ride in one first before buying, that was enough for me not to want..just my 2c

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agreed - I would. Probably wouldn't buy one new either...I sense from what Joker said, it's cheap, and likely to get hammered by depreciation. For as little as it would be used, I wouldn't spend $20K.

Got me thinking - I do need another cheap, obscure toy...

20. Kyoso_Joey

Kyoso_Joey Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Joey
    They are slow for being so light with the size of motor it has and they look ridiculous when you see one out on the road driving next to a regular car.

21. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    When ever I see one of those things I wonder if anyone makes a bolt on kit to make it a 4 wheeler?

Buy, license, bolt on and boom! Fast cool little car.

22. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I looked at one at a local motorcycle dealer, and the thing is HUGE. The motor is the same the n/a Pontiac Solstice had....there are a number of companies that offer turbo / supercharger upgrade kits already

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Saw one on the Vegas strip the other day in 110 degree heat.

You have to be freakin' crazy.

24. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Agreed

25. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006