What next? | FerrariChat

What next?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Townshend, May 9, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    As time progresses the performance differential between models is decreasing to a point where we may soon reach the pinnacle. In 10-20 years, magazines/people/blogs will surely not compare 0-60 and lap times to foregone models but there must be a difference that will motivate people to purchase the latest and greatest. What will that be; design, fuel economy, tech, other? Or will there always be a performance component to continually increase?

2. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    We passed the point of practical performance increases a long time ago. A 15 year-old C5 Z06 is as usefully fast as anything on sale today.

I think the appeal of new cars is really design and tech - novelty, mainly. The absolute performance of street cars is just for bench racing.

Nothing wrong with that I suppose; it's nice to know somebody drove my car around the Nordschleife faster than I ever will.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    We have a place where you can let her rip when there is no traffic. 4 lane road with the oncoming lanes are 50-100 ft below. No place for cops to hide. 150 mph for 5 miles or so is fun!

4. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Practical, yes for the most part. However communities, people, magazines, manufacturers, etc, still talk about their 0-60 time and other performance numbers as though they still make a difference. At what point do we move beyond that and when that happens, what next?

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Design/branding/the customer experience are some of the last true differentiators now that quality/performance/etc have all evened out.

6. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    We've long surpassed the pinnacle of "4 tires on the ground". I don't care anymore. I restore old cars and drive them.

The new ones clearly are junk or they wouldn't drop in value so fast after driving them off the lot.

What's a 3 year old S Class Benz worth right now?