2006 VW JETTA | FerrariChat

2006 VW JETTA

Discussion in 'Other German' started by Crayzee1, May 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Any one know of any typical problems with a diesel VE Jettas? I'm looking at a 2006 for the fuel mileage and came across what looks like a good deal. I don't know anything about VW's.

2. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    the basic VW is a very good car. I only had one friend with a diesel. It was new at the time and no trouble. It was not a very fast car as I remember.

My opinion would be it would be a good car under 300k miles and hopefully less.

Best

Lee

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    My good friend has a 2013 diesel Jetta and he has had quite a few problems. He has had the high pressure fuel pump replaced twice under warranty as well as a wheel bearing and a few other odds and ends. IMO if you desire basic transportation and decent fuel economy you'd be better off with a Civic or a Corolla.

As always, YMMV, Caveat Emptor

4. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Car has 195,000 miles. Guy wants $5000. I'm going to suggest $4000. You get what you pay for, I just need a car to go back and forth to school, around town. Back in college at 40 years old, and I'll be darned if I go out to buy a new car while I have no income coming in. Stupid car I have blew the engine last week.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    my gf has a 2011 Jetta diesel and *big knock on wood*, it's been flawless.

now, the 2002 Jetta and 2007 GTi I owned were gigantic pieces of crap with wiring that would make Lucas cringe.

so I think it's feast or famine.

6. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    That is what I am thinking. I keep falling back to Civics/Accords. Billions made and parts are cheap. No sense trying to get lucky. I just need something cheap and reliable.

7. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    On a strict budget for the next 2 years. :) I better to stick to what I know. Officially withdraw my question.

8. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    40 mpg in something that isn't a hybrid is tempting, but yeah....Civic with a manual will be close, more reliable (theoretically), and probably more fun.

9. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Get a Civic. Even my mother in law couldn't break hers. 97 Civic. Sold it about year and half ago, at 120K miles to some young friends who needed a cheap DD. They commute 100+ miles per day . It's still going like a champ. Upper 30s mph. You can find a kajillion on Cars.com. Good luck going back to school.....T

10. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Quite a few Civics around. None with factory fender badges or challenge grills. I hope no one notices that my fenders badges will be after market. :)

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Buy some Scuderia shields, attach to fenders. It'll remind you what you're in school for! :)
    T

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    About 97-98 to 2007 seemed to be a bad run for VW. The new ones are much more reliable from what I've seen.
    They can be boring, but you really can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota. I'd look for a 4chl Camry. More room, mileage is close to the Corolla, and they are everywhere.

13. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Get a civic. What you'll lose in mileage you'll make up for in less maintenance

14. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I have a 2011 Jetta TDI. I have only had it for 6 months but haven't had any problems. I have about 70K on it right now. I bought it for the gas mileage (I average around 45mpg in mixed driving). Lucky for me, 2 months after buying the car my commute changed from 80+miles per day to 10 miles per day. So my time with the Jetta will be short lived...

If you are looking for a comfortable, cheap car, the Jetta is a good option. If you are looking for something to entertain you, it is not. I find that VW products feel much nicer than Honda, Toyota, etc..

15. Mondog1

Mondog1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2006
    Philly burbs
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Just make sure you either replace the timing belt or verify it was replaced with quality parts. Also check if possible to see what oil was used. TDIs have very specific diesel quality requirement.
    A stock TDI is boring but a simple chip can turn it into a little torque monster while increasing your mpg.

16. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've owned three gas-powered Jettas and one diesel model.

Although the diesel had superior fuel mileage, four disadvantages I experienced were:
    1. not every gas station carried diesel - admittedly, this situation has improved in recent years
    2. self-service means that you get that diesel smell on your hands, unless you wear rubber latex gloves
    3. spilled diesel at the gas state can get on your shoes, since it doesn't evaporate like spilled gasoline does - this smell gets tracked into the car
    4. acceleration is somewhat disappointing, even though newer models have better torque that they did in the old days.

If I were buying a Jetta today, I'd buy a gas-engined model.

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    LMAO.

Whatever you're doing, you're doing it wrong. Way wrong.

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    So far I have only encountered 2 gas stations that did not carry diesel. I haven't had any issues getting diesel on my hands or shoes, or maybe I just haven't noticed. I did hear that as a concern from other people as well.

19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I drive a diesel daily, and know quite a few people that own or have owned diesels and they've never had an issue.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Apologies for the mild OT, but I heard (from an auto dealer) that diesel autos need to get oil changes twice as often as gasoline powered cars. Anyone know if that is true or urban legend? Or, did I plain just mishear?
    T

21. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I get one each service.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    VW recommends 10K interval for oil changes for my TDI. You do have to put in synthetic though.

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I DD a diesel for about 4 years (Excursion). Never washed my hands after filling, they didn't stink, never spilled diesel and therefore never got any on my shoes.

I only like two VW's, one is too expensive over a Jetta and that's the Toureg (sp?). The other is the very underrated Corrado VR6, these go forever, you can pile on the miles. With leather, the seats are very nice Reccaro sports. The 6 gets decent gas mileage. Not diesel good but good enough. Lastly, I saw one the other day, it still looks modern.

Good gas mileage might save some money, but it really isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things. You might as well get cheap and fun!

93 to 95 Corrado is only $4800 to $8000 for a really nice one.

24. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    We own a 2006 gas Jetta and the thing is a rock and a piece of crap all at the same time. When it runs, which is most of the time, it is a great car. Pretty good gas mileage and just requires periodic maintenance. When it acts up though, get out your wallet. It will eat your CD and ruin the radio (well documented for this era Jetta) and the A/C literally blows. I mean you have to monkey with it every day to get it to work. Don't even ask how you need to fix the thermostat. Left turn signal rear light goes out every 4 months, too.

Stay away, very far away.

25. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    One other thing to mention if you are considering a diesel to save money, you may also be considering a hybrid. I briefly looked at civic hybrids as an option to the Jetta TDI. What I found was the hybrid battery packs ate up at least half the trunk room on the hybrids. Gas mileage is similar, but the difference in storage capacity made me rule out a hybrid.