Looking at new dd. thoughts? | FerrariChat

Looking at new dd. thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by classic308, May 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Looking at a vw cc or passat, possibly a 2016 Acura ilx. A cpo acura tl with awd is also in the mix. Do mostly highway miles. Would love some feedback from someone with experience. Thanks!

2. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Just had a 2016 ILX for the day as a loaner car. It was loaded and had all the new crap on it like lane departure, blind spot monitoring and brake warning. OMG, so annoying, I was able to turn off 2 of the 3 at least. Car drove okay, but really felt SO disconnected. Brakes too sensitive, no feedback in the steering, you just feel pretty isolated. I was dissapointed in that. 8pd shifted fairly well (though really, do we need that many gears?). Just some thoughts, I did drive it about 75miles or so that day.

I would look at the Mazda 3 or Mazda 6's as options.

3. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Do you want all wheel drive?

4. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    If you do, then Audi has a number of interesting models with Quattro AWD.

I have an Audi S5 convertible that I've put 65k miles on it since new in 2010.
    It's been a reliable and enjoyable car for 5 years.

5. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #5 4th_gear, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    My opinion of VW as a brand is that they incorporate neat designs and cheap parts in boring cars. That's how VW AG differentiates VW brand from Audi. Remember, cheap parts. VWs do not last and constantly have reliability issues because of the cheapness they build into their vehicles. Current Audis, OTOH, have that horribly ugly maw... ugly for ugly's sake, like some people with their dogs. ;)

If gas consumption were not a factor I'd probably look at an AM Rapide or an E60 M5. AWD isn't necessary and RWD with winter performance tires worked well for me for over 25 years in Ontario.

6. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you want a two-door, you may want to consider a BMW 228i

If you want a four-door, you may want to consider an Audi A3

Both get good gas mileage and both are available with AWD. Good luck with your search.

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    My parents have had a Passat TDI for the past two years from new, no issues and 45 mpg.

Interior is actually pretty nice. About equal to our '08 C-class we had back in the day, I'm pretty sure they paid less for theirs than we did...

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Golf R is getting high marks or pay extra and get its Audi A3 twin. I still love my CTS-V Wagon DD - only car I've ever bought 2 of. Had a 2010 and bought a 2014 since they are now out of production. Price range would help narrow this all down and if it is a transportation appliance about which you don't care too much about things like color and driving dynamics, buy used for sure and pick a good car most people don't like but that is reliable.

9. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thank you all for the suggestions. So yesterday drove past the local Honda dealer and my wife said just pop and see what they have. Went in and the dealer mentioned they had a brand new 2014 Accord Sport leftover. Paid $20k for a brand new car, will drive it for a year, give it to my son who will have his full license by then, and then I will pick up something nice, like an Alfa Guilia-if they ever get their shyt together.....

10. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    You could look into a Volkswagen Phaeton? Find a little older one.