Looking for a new car | FerrariChat

Looking for a new car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by cbradley, May 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cbradley

cbradley Guest

May 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Looking for a few opinions and suggestions. Currently have a huracan, an FF, an underground racing gallardo, and the wife has an lp560 spyder and has a deposit on a huracan spyder when they release them. Recently sold my 458 and my 488 is slated to be here in January-February. Woke up this morning and decided i was going to trade my huracan in on an aventador. The huracan is fast, smooth, comfortable, but it just doesn't grab your soul like my 458 or my 430 or my Ford GT before that, or hell even the FF. Thought maybe the Aventador would. Figured it would be a smart idea to at least drive one before buying one. Called a friend who has one. Met up, took his for a spin, ran it to 180, probably put 20 miles on it. Made me feel the same way the huracan does. Disconnected from the car. Also didn't help when we traded cars back and my huracan put about 3 car lengths on him from 30-150. So Aventador was out. But it made me realize. I'm just not a "Lamborghini guy". So I'm gonna part with the Huracan. My wife loves her gallardo and if I mentioned canceling her huracan convertible deposit she would stab me. Ha. Problem is I am drawing a complete blank as far as cars I should look at as potential replacements. Suggestions welcome. Here's the criteria
    1) nothing crazy....no veyron or p1. Let's say south of 500K, preferably south of 400.
    2) something different is preferable. everyone has a 911 (ironically i never have and have been working to procure a slot for a gt3 rs...with not much luck I might add) buddy is pushing 911 turbo s hard and I like the regular gt3s as well
    3) will not pay over sticker (i spent lots of time and money building rapport not to have to do that with the 488 so can't say a 458 speciale)
    4) big guy, 6'3, 260 lbs, but I somehow cram myself in the ugr superlegerra
    5) prefer a sports car. No continental gt's or wraiths, unless you're really adamant that I should consider them. We both have other daily driver cars (SUVs, trucks, etc). We are talking mostly about play cars.
    6) doesn't have to be a current model. Thought about a Mercedes/mclaren SLR for example.
    7) backseat for a car seat is a huge bonus but not the highest priority. We have a 5 month old daughter, hence the FF.
    8) this is the little kid coming out in me but I've never owned one so anything the doors go up on is a huge bonus

So....hit me with what you got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. StatusIV

StatusIV Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Lebanon
    Speciale / Aperta

3. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Hmmm...no Speciales...trying to think what other interesting cars are on the market.

New Corvette Z06? I've started seeing a few of them around here in NC and they are stunning. One of the only supercars still offered with a manual if you wanted to go that route.

650S? They're kind of weird-looking but are pretty quick. They might be a bit like your Huracan though...I've heard they aren't the most engaging supercars to drive.

Maybe an Audi R8? I have a friend who's looking at picking up a V10 manual example. They're not the best for taking the car to its absolute limits but they're still awesome to look at. Go for a pre-2014 model though.

4. 99_Carrera

99_Carrera Formula 3

Nov 2, 2010
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. cbradley

cbradley Guest

May 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, there's a speciale at Ferrari of Austin that the original owner never took delivery of. But they're asking 50 over sticker. I just have a hang up doing that. Plus getting rid of my 458 to go overpay for a speciale to have my 488 show up early next year seems a little repetitive.

The Z06 is just not my thing. I bought my father one of the few atomic orange c6 zr1s they made (we're big University of Texas fans). He had a c6 z06 previous to that. I just want something with a little more pizazz. I know they run really well though.

The mclaren is definitely on my short list but just have absolutely zero experience with them.

That GT2 is a blast from a few years ago. I had forgotten about those. Cool cars.

Maybe since I don't have something that I'm like "that's the one", it's a sign I should save some money. Ha.

6. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #6 tomc, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Ford GT?
    About a dozen or so between 300 - 400 K on Cars.com...T
    p.s. SLS AMG Black Series are in that price range and have gullwing doors.

7. Jdahlstrom

Jdahlstrom Formula 3

Feb 28, 2005
    Miami, Fl
    Full Name:
    Josh Dahlstrom
    Have you driven or considered a slr McLaren or an Ultima gtr?

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    dude - ur in the same boat as me - ive been DD my FF for almost 4 years now...Literally just had this convo with a local friend who is on the board as well and I think he hit the nail on the head....he DDs his f12 and has another dozen cars as toys....if ur bored of what ur driving now, then ur just bored. and as he pointed out paying the spread on selling and getting something new isn't going to help

I say keep what u got for DD and start looking for a new hobby!

9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    PS id get a 612 OTO - I love the 612 along with the FF

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Carrera GT? not sure if a good one can be had for that price anymore though :(

Mosler? Saleen S7?

Viper?

all are manual transmission, very involving and stupid fast. none have back seats :(

11. cbradley

cbradley Guest

May 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas

I couldn't buy a ford GT. Not after I sold my 2006 in 08 with 3K miles on it for....you ready, 120K. Seeing them makes me sick at this point. I was jockeying for a new one till I heard production of 250 a year and 400K.

I was just looking at the SLS. A good friend owns the Austin Mercedes dealership and I'm sure I could get into one right. The gullwing doors matter way more than they should to me. It's kinda sad. Ha.

12. cbradley

cbradley Guest

May 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas

If I could touch a Carrera GT for 400, I would be all over it. It's in my top 5 for cars I want to have at some point during my life. Right up there with the Huayra and stuff like that. At least I'm lucky. Good friend picks up his Tour De France Blue LaFerrari this week so I'll get to take it for a spin. He offered to let me drive his Enzo back in 03 when he got it but I calmy told him "if I wrecked it, it would take me five years to pay for it. Thankfully grad school, hard work ,and a little luck enabled me to say "hell yes" this go round. The Carrera GTs are up in the 800 range. If someone knows one that's worth a crap around 400, please let me know.

I had a viper in college. That whole grad school and hard work just improved my standing. I was also lucky enough to be born into it. You won't catch me sitting here and pretending that I'm completely self made at 35 years old. I'm lucky and I appreciate it and am thankful for it but my old man had me at the office at 7AM, less than 12 hours after I walked across the stage for college graduation and then I got my MBA at nights working full time. Sorry for the life story. . The only American big company car that appeals to me right now is the GT but the pricing just blew me away. I was expecting 250ish. 400 just seems awfully steep unless there's some technology they haven't disclosed yet.

I'll do some googling on the Saleen and Mosler.

If I were to say, the 488 will be my hot rod track day type car (until the track version of it comes out or I can locate a gt3-rs), the FF is my lets go for a spirited drive type car, my Range Rover is my road trip car, the underground racing gallardo is my "let's crap my pants it's so fast car", my wife's lp560 is my lets get in a convertible and ***** the whole time about how my big ass doesn't fit in the seat car, what would be a nice "lets take a nice open top drive on a Sunday down a back road in a convertible but still be able to dust off a kid in a cts-v or a new hot rod camaro or whatever the latest muscle car all the teenagers want is. That's what got me to the SLR, comfortable cruiser, open top, clamshell doors, still runs strong. The Carrera GT fits the bill but I just can't spend that much.

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #13 tomc, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Yikes. I can see why. Good luck in your hunt...T

Edit- McLaren? Scissor doors. Saw a Volcano Orange MP-12C today while cruising around in my 911, and was thinking that Volcano Orange is kind of similar to UT Burnt Orange, at least to my untrained eye...T

14. cbradley

cbradley Guest

May 15, 2009
    Austin, Texas
    Oh, I've got a hobby that takes cars off my mind. Im passionate about offshore high-performance boating. Problem is my new boat is still several months from completion and my old one sold last year. Im trying to fill that void. Luckily, the factory was kind enough to loan me a boat until mine is complete so at least I can get back into a big horsepower skater.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Improvise. Sell the Huracan + LP560, tell the wife to take the FF until Huracan Spyder arrives. Buy CGT (remember, advertising prices are just that...advertising. Surely you can haggle!).

If wifey doesn't go for it sell the UG ''temporarily'' until you feel the need to buy one again later on...

16. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    At the risk of suggesting something outside the box -- because everything you've listed is a modern car with all that comes with that -- how about something more hardcore like an original Porsche 930? It's probably the only exotic made for taller guys, and you can still buy them for well under your $400K limit. Still a fast car, and iconic.

Plus you probably can't lose money on it if you buy a good one. They're done depreciating and have been moving up.

And yeah, it has tiny back seats for the daughter.

And... they're now officially rare to see on the road. (We have a lot of new Porsches and 458s here in San Diego, but I haven't seen a 930 on the road this year.)

17. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I agree completely (and I'm not even really a 911 fan). I think the GT2 RS will be the next Porsche to follow the appreciation pattern of the Carrera GT. Maybe not quite to the extent of the premiums Carrera GTs are beginning to command, but I could honestly see it reaching the $500k mark or higher in the next couple of years, considering they are rarer and more powerful than the CGT. Very hard to find on the used market but you can get them in the $250,000 to $300,000 range currently, and I don't see that figure falling much lower.

@cbradley you might not be the biggest 911 fan, but you can almost guarantee yourself exclusivity among your neighbors with a GT2 RS! :D

18. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I think something along the lines of this is the way to go. Try to figure out a way to get the car you really want, the CGT.

The only other car I would suggest looking at is a Lamborghini Diablo. It gets the style you want, without the modern feel of the new cars. Best of all they have been appreciating rapidly.

19. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Aston Martin Vanquish has back seats and not as common as a 911. My other thought was a Lexus LFA.

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    LFA would certainly be different.

Why a Vanquish over a DBS?

21. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
  22. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    I suppose because the Vanquish is the newer of the two cars (they don't make the DBS anymore unfortunately). I'd still go for the DBS though, always thought that represented the top of Aston Martin design and could be had with a manual transmission.

23. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I know it's not bragging when you can do it , but talk about first tenth of the world problems!

Me , I'd look at something historic as the depreciation issue with late model stuff is too rich for my blood. E type, XJ 220, 512BB, not sure what still has room. Carerra GT, F40 and the like are already gone ....

24. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    This. You can have an E-Type for free, given the depreciation on a new 458 over a few years.

25. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter