Buying a Lincoln Navigator | FerrariChat

Buying a Lincoln Navigator

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Weaselwee, Jun 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you had the choice between a 2013 certified Navigator with 30K miles and a 2011 with exactly the same miles, which would you feel more comfortable with in the long run?
    Or maybe not a Navigator at all? Any insight into the durability of these cars?

Thanks,

Jim

2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The July '15 Motor Trend has a comparison between the Navigator,Escalade, Infiniti QX80 Ltd., Land Rover Range Rover HSE, Lexus LX 570, & the Benz GL450 4Matic
    While we can all mock MT & their tests, the Infiniti finished dead last & the Navigator was 5th.
    In their summary: "Although it's cheaper than the others, it's not nearly as luxurious. We love the powertrain and the 'Gator's utility."
    Buy a used Escalade or the a Benz based on their tests.
    But the Navigator WILL be cheaper.....;)

3. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Ive owned full sized Range Rovers for the last 10 years. Its a castle on wheels. Buy used, preferable with some sort of warranty. The RR has an amazing online community. If something is wrong simple search reveals the fix and cost effective parts. I like to turn wrenches so both of them have been cheap to own.

4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My father has a new Navigator and I own a Escalade ESV and for me there is no comparison, the Cadillac wins.
    To me the dash on the Nav. has to many buttons and the interior finish feels lacking. Another big plus to me is AWD with the Escalade! Love AWD!

If you go with the Nav., get certified, can only help if you have issues down the road.

Also will add this is my Dad's 2nd Nav., and he hasn't really had any issues with the either so far.

5. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    both the expy and the lincoln have lower resale values....

imho, and i LOVE FORD TRUCKS.... they are more expensive to fix vs the GM counterpart

the ONLY plus is that they are sized btw the tahoe and suburban platform..

we have a tahoe... too small. second row is crowded and with 3 rows has zero storage space. our excursion is just too big.

not sure if those years still have air suspension.. if so pass.....

6. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Looking at a Yukon Denali XL right now. Impressive comfort features and the detuned Corvette engine with an 8-speed auto. Might be pulling the trigger soon.

7. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I really hate GM products. The few times I've gone American (not a big fan of American vehicles) it has been Ford. Better fit and finish quality. I went from a Navigator into an Excursion (I needed the room) and then went Porsche Cayenne.

I still really like the Lincoln's. When I had my Navigator, it came with free service for 5 years or 80k kilometers. The service even being free was top notch. Tried 3 different Lincoln dealers and they all felt like a European dealer in customer service, even though it was free. If they did the free service deal again, Id jump out of my Cayenne tomorrow!

8. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    I have the same sentiments as you. Not a big GM fan, but I usually gravitate towards European anyway. The American cars I've owned have all been Ford. My parents really liked their Navigator they bought new, and I'm impressed with my Aviator that I got from the original owner. I tow a track car with it and for a mid-size SUV it tows great.

9. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    The 6.2 liter engine and the air-ride are very nice features of the Denali. The Escalade comes with 20" wheels which really enhances the ride, very smooth. My wife loves driving the Escalade ESV, she says it drives like a car and the excelleration is sweet.

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If you have to choose between the two, I'd go with the '13. But I'd rather have the new ones without the 5.4. It's a thirsty, rough engine. And it's had it's issues, though most have been fixed. The rest of the truck is solid. Some issues with air ride, and the sync systems have bad bugs, but that's also been constantly updated.
    I'd rather have a loaded Expedition for the money, but they are both good trucks. The Denali and Escalade are good choices as well.
    What's the intended use of the truck?

11. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I would like to get an 8 passenger SUV. The problem I had with the Escalade is that the rear seats do not fold flat. To get a flat rear, you need to remove the seats. My wife is not doing that. I guess the general question was that both have 30K miles, but one was driven 15K/year and the other 7.5K. What does that tell you about the care/abuse that the car took? Both are certified so they are covered, but that doesn't mean I won't be making frequent trips to the dealer.
    I will use the car to cart my kids and their friends around. I put about 7K/year on my cars.

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Lower miles can sometimes mean more headaches. Vehicles like to be driven. I believe ford just has nicer exterior and interior appearance over GM. All GM products just look and feel cheap to me.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'd take the newer model given the same mileage. Vehicles are updated constantly, so it would have the latest programming and fixes. I'd rather have a vehicle that is used regularly. Drive both and see if one feels better than the other. If not, I'd pick the newer one, or the color and options you like the best.

14. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    If your looking for 8 pax plus bags how about a full size van. The new Fords are pretty nice.

15. Weaselwee

Weaselwee Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2005
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Jim
    To close this thread:
    I bought a new Nissan Armada. Pretty much the same price as the pre-owned (used) Navigator. I just couldn't find the right car with the right options. A Lincoln dealer told me that the incentives on the 2012 to buy were better than lease, so there may not be as many up for resale. Also, if we remember, the price of gas in 2012 was a bit higher, so there may have been less big SUV sales.
    The Mom Taxi is an Armada.

Thanks for the thoughts,

Jim