$40K Family-friendly yet fun car | FerrariChat

$40K Family-friendly yet fun car

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FerRrari, Jun 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    We're expecting our first child in December. We currently have a 360 Spider and an Abarth. The Abarth has to go to get something more practical which can accommodate a rear facing infant seat. We live in the city, so smaller is better. Length is not too much of a concern, but width is our parking spots are good sized but would be tight with two extra wide cars. I don't want to buy anything older than 2 years, I want all the latest security goodies and AWD is preferable.

So far what I'm considering:
    - 535xi M Sport
    - 328xi Touring
    - C300 4Matic
    - E350 4Matic Wagon
    - S4
    - A4 Avant (would need to be a 2012 as I don't like the Allroad)
    - XF
    - Get a good lease (Infiniti or Lexus) and wait for Alfa sedan

Anyone own any of these and use them with a rear facing child seat?

Thanks!

2. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    We just had our first child and I bought a Maserati GranSport as our family fun car. It can accommodate a rear facing car seat and still allow my wife to sit up front, but barely. I think the 535 M sport is a real good choice on your list.

Good luck.

Scott

3. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #3 normv, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello, well its not sporty but it's 4wheel drive and a lot of fun. 2015 Jeep Renegade TrailHawk with a lot of options. Very Capable 4x4 yet very comfy and thrifty too. Premium interior Keyless and remote start with heated seats and steering wheel too.
    There just coming over and not a lot of them on the road yet. Just a thought, LOL. Norm

Oh and its made in Italy by Fiat which owns Jeep. Almost a Ferrari.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Check out the new 2015 VW Golf R 4-door hot hatch. Sub 5 second 0-60, AWD, 30 mpg highway, terrific dual clutch tranny, split folding rear seats, nav, you name it. Reviews are universally excellent. Sticker for the top model that has every option is $39,910. I just got mine two days ago and am loving it.

5. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I've got a 2015 C300 4Matic, it's anything but "fun"...in fact I'm in the process of getting rid of the car after seven months of ownership. I've owned a several inexpensive to moderately priced family fun cars (everything from a VW R32 to an M5) and this go around I thought I'd give Mercedes a shot. It's just not my cup of tea. It's a perfectly nice car but there's nothing fun about it.

6. wireless

wireless Rookie

Feb 24, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Buy a used Porsche Cayenne. I've owned 2 and they are the best SUV ever. No problems for 9 years of fun driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I would go with the 535Xi, fun reliable car. Plus you will have a nice warranty for 4/6 years.

8. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    FWIW money no object, my top choices would be:
    - FF
    - E63 wagon 4matic
    - Cayenne GTS

Now back to reality. I'm also considering the Focus ST/RS and the Golf R.

9. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    Be sure to test fit your stroller in the back and ease/access to car seat, as well as other gear before you buy.

E63 Wagon or CTS V wagon all the way! Maybe not in the 40K price range, yet.....

10. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    #10 Zcobra1, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
    Audi Q5 TDI diesel. Sports seats, 20" wheels, plenty of fun for a SUV.
    Good brakes, and amazing fuel mileage. Tows 4200#.

But best of all, 426 ft. Lb. of endless effortless TORQUE.......

And agree with the above, a E63, or CTS wagon would awesome too.

11. forzatifosi

forzatifosi Karting

Aug 30, 2009
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    J
    don't get an E class unless its AMG...not fun....40k will buy you a pretty nice used Quattroporte...(I recommend with the ZF automatic, I have the cambiocorsa and it sucks)...if you want to buy new take a look at the Charger scat pack...485 horsepower...Its a big heavy car and the handling isn't quite sports car..but is pretty respectable...tons of room as well.

12. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    There are some good suggestions already listed, but may be over your two year or newer limit at the $40k price range. A new Subaru STi or a Mistubishi Evo X have AWD, good safety features and available with a manual transmission. Lots of fun to drive.

13. futureowner

futureowner Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Brookfield, WI
    Full Name:
    Thad
    Golf R is a fun car, my brother just picked one up. I'd say test drive a CPO Lexus IS-F, partial as it's my daily driver but the last model had many of the quirks worked out, a baby seat fits (was my requirement also), 417bhp, sub-5sec 0-60 and Lexus reliability....hard to beat for a daily commuter.

14. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    As you are still looking the whole prosess through car nuts eyes I would sugget to get something easy to use, interior that takes serious abuse and trunk that takes twice what you now might think you will need. Minimun of unfolded strollers to make life with tired screaming baby easier. If it is also fun, big bonus (Cayanne)

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The 535i is a very cool car and the M package makes it cooler. Even turbo'd, BMW straight six engines, driving dynamics and RWD are one of a kind. Plenty of room in the back for the family too.

16. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    #16 carguyjohn350, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
  18. MrMark

MrMark Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Louisiana, USA
    2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8.

19. That is what I have. Sports seats, paddle shift, diesel. Fun suv that pulls like a freight train, but doesn't smoke like one. :)

20. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Go for the Audi S4 - Get a membership with the Audi Club of America and get 6% discount off your best deal!

S

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay, I have a bunch of cars (including an Abarth which is far from stock) and if you need as you say small, well most of the suggestions (including your own) are not going to fit your needs. The 535 is not what I call small. Go with a VW Golf R, it will fit a child's seat, is AWD and fun. Personally any of the other cars will feel like a let down after the Abarth. Lexus not exciting and AWD makes it even less so. Infiniti, I hate those thing the V6 buzz that you can feel through the car. I wont even ride those things. The S4 would be the only other car I'd consider but they are not that much fun to drive, at least in my opinion.

22. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    The Golf R does look impressive, and its cousin the S3. You also have the Focus RS coming next year which looks like it will be awesomely fun to drive.

23. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Yes...S4 stick.

Pretty fun car and hauls the family around.
    I did reluctantly go with the Q5 diesel as I needed hauling room
    and the sedan was just short on that with all the crap I
    haul around.

24. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    You've got to be an Audi Club member for six months before you can get the discount...and it's 6% off MSRP. I'd still join though, they have some good events.

25. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    +1. Used Turbo.

Cayenne is shorter than you think. Ours was shorter than my Accord.