1994 Mercedes E320 | FerrariChat

1994 Mercedes E320

Discussion in 'Other German' started by 88MONDIAL, Jul 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    #1 88MONDIAL, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just bought this, had a 95 back in 2004-2006 that was mint. This one is in pretty good condition though it's not detailed in the photos here at all. Needed wax, badly. This car is so old school compared to anything made today. I could hear the clock ticking at night when I went in the garage to check something at night. Drives completely different than anything else too, I've had it just about 10 days now and I'm really enjoying it. 21 years old and just turned 100,000miles the other day. Was not driven in the winter. Anybody here have an older Mercedes or one of the first E320's from 1994-1995 like this one?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I have a 1995. Got it when I lost both my daily drivers in Sandy. Buddy found it for me he has 8 MBs and most are 124 class. Car had 29K original miles on it when I got it, one owner. I replaced the shocks, brake pads and put on new tires. Runs perfect and drives like new. Now has 48k on it. Silver/Grey.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    My mom had an 87 300E. She hasn't owned anything other than a Benz since. That car was built like a tank, but man was it awful in the rain/snow.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Tires make a big difference in the snow. I have never experienced any issues with rain in my car and my dad had an 88 300E which I would drive a bit and never had any bad experiences in the rain.

5. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I recall a few times where the back end stepped out very quickly and unexpectedly. It could very well have been the tires though.

My mom credits the car with saving her life. She was driving one day and a very large tree branch fell right on the roof of her car while she was driving. It took a few 1st responders to be able to lift the branch off of the car and road. They told her that if she had been driving a Japanese car, she would probably be dead. She was fine, although quite shaken up.

The car actually got repaired after that and lived on for a number of more years. The motor let go when we had about 200K on it.

6. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    They are incredibly built cars. My 1995 was Silver/Gray.

7. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I had a 95 Cab for a few years. Built like a tank. Hands down, the best riding car I have ever owned. At 100k miles you have her just about broken in!!

Regards,
    Jerry

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I've had a number of Benz's over the years. My Dad switched from Porsches to Benz's in 91. Still have his 420SEL at my house. I drive it a few times per month. I've also owned 560SL, 300E, 500SL and SEL mid 90's cars. The SL was originally my Mom's. I have also owned a S420 bought new in 02. We also kept a 95 E320 at our Tahoe house. It replaced our 87 190E. Might be missing a few.

Only problem I have with older Mercedes, they are a pain to sell. Niche market exists for them, but its hard to find the buyer.

9. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences with them!

10. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Bet its a lot easier to sell an older Benz than it is an older Jag or Audi.

11. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had four Benzes - '82 240D 4-speed, '85 300D, '97 E300 and a '98 E300. See a pattern?

Loved them all.

Scott

12. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #12 zudnic, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    All 3 are tough. Especially 4 door sedans. But that's also true for all four door old cars. Two doors and convertibles sell fast. The sedans not so much. Most of the lookers are looking for cheap transportation. Cost of European car service scares them off.

The one thing about Mercedes I loved but they no longer do was lifetime 24hr roadside assistance. Now the car needs inspections and service at the Mercedes dealer to the roadside service. The lifetime was also transferable. It really helped to sell the cars.

All those cars also have a cult following but most of these people want a show car. Like I'm looking for XJ12 series III Vanden Plas. I want under 100k kilometers, original paint and interior. They sold the V12 in the states custom order, very few people did. They are so rare in the states, you find one its usually a Canadian market car with the engine replaced by a small block chevy. In Canada the Vanden Plas only came in V12 form. You see them for sale its usually a basket case. Good ones sell fast. Seen two this year for sale in Canada. I'm waiting for the near perfect car!

You almost need a show car and keep it as such, or it will be a pain to sell. Most are like me and want near new show cars.

13. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Love these older Benzes. Some good deals out there on low mileage one-owner cars.

14. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    My 92 190e went 800,000km before the engine went. It was my dad's car, then he gave it to me. Best car I have ever owned. Looking for another, but can't find anything out there remotely close to the condition I want.

15. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I had a 1993(last year) 190E back in 2000, bought it with 34,000 miles. It was near mint. Should not have traded it. But the Porsche 968 coupe I got in its place was awesome as well.

16. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Great cars! Last of the great MBs. The next gen E class is a P.O.S. That looks like a really nice example. I've had and serviced a few.
    Check if yours has had it's engine wire harness replaced. The insulation quickly degraded, it causes all sorts of odd behavior when they fail.
    New ones from MB are uber $$$ but since many failed under warranty there are better replacement versions available in wrecking yards. I have forgotten how to discern the replacement type, something to do with connector colors I think. Lots of "W124" enthusiast sites with helpful information.

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ^^ Gospel.