Body shops | FerrariChat

Body shops

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bundas, Jul 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Are so busy with insurance work. They will not do any thing else😞. So here I go. Monday a 1966 Chrysler 300 convertible goes in. MAACO. ANYONE HAVE EXPERIENCE?

2. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Anyone have experience

3. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
  4. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    x2

Great place to go if you want overspray on your tires, and the "specials" are cheaper than I used to be able to buy PPG or DuPont supplies for the same job at wholesale.

5. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    They painted two International Scouts I restored back in the 1980's.

I did all the grunt body work and they finished up the details and painted them Pearl White and Desert Sand Matte.

I was happy with the results, but it was my first resto project and I had no frame of reference then.

I am sure it depends on the shop and the manager/supervisor like any other service.

If you are looking to make a "10-15 footer" out of a mess of a car, then it is probably OK.

Their masking was not precise and they oversprayed my tires too, a couple of things I was able to take care of on my own with some careful effort.

As always, you usually get what you pay for.
    Alden

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Anyone have experience

7. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #7 Art138, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Depends on what you are looking for. They go from a no thrill repaint to a more refined finish. They have access to several paint qualities. Normally they try to get fleet cars from rental companies. You need to discuss your expectations with the service manager. I once took my mother's car to Maaco just so she could selll.It was taken down to the original primer and repainted. I would not do that for a high end car.

8. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #8 bundas, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I gave them an open check book😊 so I will see. They will take all the chrome off. Cuts out rust and start from bare metal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    buona fortuna!

10. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

They are a cut rate franchise! Stay away.

11. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Since I seem to have no other avenue I am taking this old Chrysler in and see what the can really do. Open wallet and no budget. I am a totally different customer than they normally see. We will all know a month from now��

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    bunch a places in atlanta........ not to far

13. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I'm lucky my uncle restores classic Chevy's as a side business. He has a full paint booth set up and knows body work. Now if it was an exotic or even a Porsche, only one shop in North America Id go. Its called burrard auto strauss and its here in Vancouver. But they don't do American cars, only Porsche, Mercedes, Land Rover, Bentley, Jaguar, BMW, Lamborghini and of course Ferrari. They don't touch anything else.

14. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    The shop I have been using charges $5,000 for serious work(wrecks) but he stopped taking everything but insurance. Easy money��. I have four left to finish. They all have been sitting ten years or more. One a 1966 Chevy 1/2 ton step side that dad bought new. Still runs fine but needs serious body work

15. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    You are getting collision repair shops, cheapo respray shops and restoration shops confused. Insurance repair is not easy $. Collision repair shops are stuck to low labor rates almost dictated by large insurance company's lobbyist and tightwad insurance adjusters. We charge ~$10 more labor/hr for a COD customer. Some collision shops are owned by insurance companies and most have direct repair relationships w/ insurance companies. That is why they do insurance work, the insurance companies feed it to them. Collision repair is faster turn around than restoration work. Collision repair shop is not going to want to take on restoration jobs which take forevers, are messy, every bolt/nut is rusted on, can't locate the parts needing replacement, ....

Maaco is cheap-ass refinish shop. Oh the overspray horrors. Avoid.

What you need is a restoration shop specializing in corrosion repair. Far fewer these days than the first two. And you pay more because it is more difficult.

16. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    #16 bundas, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    But I never ask how much. I just ask to do the job! Still cannot find anyone in this area. Restoration shops are backed up six plus months! One did give me a quote of $56,000 to put a QP1 in primer. I think not. I already have the car sand blasted and stripped of every thing. I am not interested in a screwing. I have been through enough of those lately

17. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Bundas,

No offense. But you seemingly get ripped off everywhere you go. After following your posts for some time now, it looks as though you have a giant target on your back. The prices you've quoted in your garage thread are insane.

50k for a QP repaint?

I'd suggest you find someone you trust to help you negotiate your restoration projects from here on in.

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Target you are right. I always trust everyone first. I have always been like that. After a life time I have found so few to trust. So sad. People are good until given a chance to be bad. From earliest days out of high school I found so many crooks. Basic training to my first job and all through life. I was working as a revenue agent out of college. My coworkers cheated on their expenses accounts. Turns in work days when they were sitting at home. Worked for CPA FIRMS they ALL cheated the stockholders by approving management crap. Ever one of the big eights. Justification was rampant when enough money was at stake. Discrimination and prejudice were constant and viscous. I saw accounting methods changed ever quarter. Filings not with a resemblance of realistic K10's. Endless crap. I finally refused to sign off on a Major listed audit and left the industry. Went in business. Refused to do kick backs. Pay offs and free stuff. So no govt. customers. Every branch and department wanted under the table money or assets. I sold high dollars items, to me. No sale less than $200 and some well over $100,000. I lasted 40 years. Health and drugged employees finally got me. So now after recovering from near death(two weeks max to live,really stupid, bad Drs.) I am pissing away what millions I busted my ass for. So far every business I have dealt with has not done as agreed. Every one. Shame

19. tazz99

tazz99 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2007
    Kennesaw, GA
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Mitchell, please don't take that car to MAACO. Bring it down to Magnum Collision in Marietta and let some pros do it right. I'll buy you lunch. I'd hate to see you get burned again.

20. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Too late. If it is a sorry mess I will not be sorry. If this works. Great. Not an important car

21. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    $6,300. Probably will not go that route. I had a $5,000 max in mind. They figured 60 hours.

22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Unless there is a specific deadline driving your decision.. I think it would be worth your while to shop around, get some proper estimates, and go to a real restoration shop. If you are going to do it...do it right.

Based on some of your past threads, you won't be happy with a Maaco job no matter what they charge you. If budget isn't an issue, send it to an expert.

23. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Early every shop in the area is doing insurance. The car will just be driven as is for a while