Chasing Classic Cars | FerrariChat

Chasing Classic Cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by BoulderFCar, Aug 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Does anybody have experience with the shop or Wayne Carrini? I watch the show and for some reason it doesn't strike me that they are real artisans like the guys from Legendary Motors. Just curious if anybody knows the place. TV hype or real deal?

2. daviddallas

daviddallas Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2013
    Lucas, Tx
    Full Name:
    David Hill
    Love the show

3. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Wayne does first rate work, he has been working with Francois Sicard for years(mechanical). He is highly capable and trustworthy. Don't know that I would include Legendary in the top tier of Ferrari restorers.

4. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Maybe Legendary wasn't a good analog. I think they are more of a muscle car and domestic type shop.

Good to know on Wayne. As I think about it more he does have a bunch of cars that have done well at shows.

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I met Wayne before he had the show and he came across as a straight up car guy. I had an appointment to meet with his salesman to look at a 930 he had and I arrived early and the salesman was still at lunch, I was looking at the 930 in the showroom as I waited and Wayne came out of his office and introduced himself and was very cordial. We ended up chatting about cars and he told me a bunch of stories about cars he had bought and how he came across them and also showed me all around his shop. Honestly felt like I was just talking to another enthusiast. In the end I didn't end up buying the 930.

6. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Don't know Wayne personally, although his shop is not terribly far from NJ. I do think some prices appear high, not sure if he negotiates but I would guess not much...

7. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    [​IMG]Amelia Island

8. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    I appear in the last 5-6 minutes of the episode titled "Million Dollar Finds," describing what I'm looking for as I judge a BMW 507 his shop restored. My 15-minutes of fame...uh, 5-minutes of fame!

9. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Can't stand the show except for Roger. They need to give him his own show.

10. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    +1 I'm not a big fan of car flippers.

11. BoulderFCar

Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Roger was the one that kind of caused me pause. he seems like a bumbler that I wouldn't want screwing around with my car.

Good feedback that Wayne's the real deal. If he can deliver enough value finding and flipping good for him.

There seems to be another side of his shop that does concours restoration. It doesn't get as much airtime. Probably because it takes years to restore a car and doesn't fit the format of the show.

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Agree. I met Wayne at Cavallino in Palm Beach. Discussed the possibility of brokering a car for my friend. He's a stand up guy and is knows his cars very well. He offered his help without hesitation and provided his cell number for follow up. Good guy.

13. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    #13 Yoric, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    The guy follows this pattern: 1) buys cars for rich owners who've never seen them before, 2)"restores" the car for them, 3) takes their cars to high-profile venues (Cavallino, Amelia, Concorso) where the owners finally show up and see them for the first time to pick up a trophy (sometimes), 4) our man either auctions them off or resells them. Not a collector, not a hobbyist, but rather a used car salesman.

14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Google Roger his full name is Roger Barr.

15. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #15 Daryl, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Also a big Roger fan. Here he is back in the day:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    All of these shows follow a "formula" - then you realize, they really aren't "car shows" at all - they are characters, in the context of cars (or pawn shops, auctions, storage facilities, etc).

I worked with creators and/or subjects of two very big "reality" shows - eye opening. You realize that they aren't "real" at all, but scripted versions of what life is like. If you saw the "real" life, it would probably be boring.

It's all about character development, and how well the audience connects. Think Chumlee on Pawn Stars or Roger, as noted above. Roger Barr is a pretty respected guy, but comes off on the show as a little goofy (again, as suggested, Google him - he's the real deal).

The worst of these are shows like "Graveyard Cars" - where they paint everyone in the shop to be a wise-cracking moron. I've been told that the main guy there is super nice, nothing like the character on the show. I guess whatever sells, right?

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #17 GordonC, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I saw the 275 GTB/4 that Wayne restored and took to Concorso Italiano last year (2014) - it had the wrong tail lights on it. It was wearing the Fiat units with the rectangular reflector, rather than the proper Altissimo units with the round center reflector used on all the 250s and 275s with two round tail lights. A simple detail, but a big miss IMHO for a top notch restorer. I wonder how many other minor details were not correct?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No wonder he's hard of hearing with that full-house Chevy just behind his head. He is truly Old School, I like him.

19. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Young Abe Lincoln? :)

The guy has a fantastic sense of car humor.

20. wjw300tt

wjw300tt Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    chilliwack BC Canada
    hmmmm...... a used car salesman with a net worth of 20 million. Plus a personal car collection of around 30 cars.......

21. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    his building looks like it would collapse in a strong wind.....

22. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like the show and I both of the guys. I have never seen Wayne talk down to people or make fun of people, and they have a sense of humor.

The show doesn't have all the drama of most reality shows. I would let my grandkids watch it without being embarrassed by the language or innuendoes.

They also have a wide range of cars, events, and people. I enjoy seeing the cars and events.

Wayne's dad was a body shop guy, too. The family may have been independently wealthy, I don't know, but they have done well. I am not envious, good for them.

Jerry

23. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1

Scott

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not independently wealthy, Wayne is self-made. He is the first guy at the shop in the morning and the last to leave.

25. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Not 100% self made. His father had a body/restoration shop and he took it over. Added car sales and the rest is history. One episode he explained how he started.

The thing they don't do anymore that I liked, is saying what Wayne paid for a car. Guess some buyers felt ripped off! For awhile Wayne was asking noise bleed prices, probably thinking the show added some prestige. They are now more realistic.