FGT vs Murcie (manual) | FerrariChat

FGT vs Murcie (manual)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by plastique999, Aug 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'd like to expand my collection of "keepers" to cars that are more limited in production and will have some history.
    A manual Murcie 640 is very difficult to find and seem to be rising in value.
    The FGT is a fantastic car with history that seems to be appreciating as well.
    I'd be adding to the CGT and 16M. Thoughts?

Sent from my 16M

2. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I would think a LP 550-2 Valentino Balboni would be a special car to keep for a long time.
    A RWD manual V10 in that chassis should be quite a fun car to drive and own, sort of like the Lambo version of your CGT.

3. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Ford GT is the one for me.

4. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Two great choices......but if you're building a collection and want something that represents America (at your current caliber of cars) in your line-up there's only one car that fits the bill, FGT.

If that really isn't a concern then I'd say the FGT anyway :)

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Over time the FGT will be more valuable. Here in Canada, manual Murci are fairly reasonable price wise and still coming down. Like below $130k Canadian.

6. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Both cool. Several thousand FGT's - many still in the wrapper - auction fodder for the last year or so/big recent appreciation leveled-off a bit at Monterey this year - should always be relatively easy to source one. Fewer (much) 640/sticks - last of its kind - tougher to find - makes awesome racket. Fortunate to have either!

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #7 Bas, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I really like the FGT but not enough to take over the Murcielago. I've always loved the Murcielago but recently I've been noticing that the 1st gen has such nice clean lines.

Keep the normal rear lights, not LP640 ones (I think they look nice, but cheapen the mk1 Murcielago...belongs on the 640 and later IMO!), just put on the Roadster wheels and you're golden.

EDIT: Just read it properly and you're looking for a 640...same story goes, love the lines, and just put on Roadster wheels! ;).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Not a rational argument, but I'd add some form of Diablo into that mix.

With no thoughts to future value, but rather what I'd love to own? My choices would be in this order:

1) Diablo
    2) FGT
    3) Murci

9. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    FGT all the way.

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
  11. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

I wanted to buy a FGT, until i got in one and drove it, my head was on the headliner it didnt fit for me i like to drive, and the FGT was not going to be a driver..where Lamborghini for me are a better fit...just my 2c..

12. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Purely based off of future value; Murci 6spd vs. FGT = FGT // LP640 6spd vs FGT = LP640.

Can't go wrong with any of the cars. I was in the air between Murci and FGT back in '10. I went with Murci, looking back from a financial standpoint, I should have gone FGT. But I cannot complain about time in a Murci.

13. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    For me, the keeper is the 3 pedal Murci. I want something to drive over the long term - not just put in a A/C controlled garage and stare at. FGT seems to be too precious to really get any enjoyment out of. People stopped actually driving the damn things years ago. Sad.

14. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    My FGT has 41k miles. I'm the original owner. I leave Sunday for Dearborn for the 10th annual Ford GT Rally. 2400 mile round trip there and then home to DFW.

15. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Nice ByeEnzo!! :)

I think most FGT owners drive them.....not quite as much as you do though.

I've got 13K on mine and have loved every foot of it!

16. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Well, you two are the exceptions and bada55es. :^)

My observation is that an inordinate # of FGTs (for sale) have 'museum mileage'.

17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Such a tough choice....I'd love a gated LP640 but those are like finding needles in a haystack.
    I saw an LP650 (roadster/e-gear) which is limited to 50 made.....caught my eye.

Sent from my 16M

18. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Maybe Roy cats has a lead for you ;)

19. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I may be biased, but I would take the GT. I have 23,000 smiles on mine!

Joe

20. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    It will probably take a lot of time and effort to find an LP640 with a true six speed manual, because almost all sellers list E-Gear cars as "manual". Might wait a couple months and see if one pops up, but otherwise I'd have to go with the GT.

21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward

Yes I am realizing that there are less than 50 manual 640's. Still trying to decide between roadster vs coupe.
    I may settle for a newer model E-gear..............or a white FGT.

Sent from my 16M

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    FGT will be much cheaper to maintain....

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    If i was you i would go for a FGT Heritage for first choice or for a manual Murcielago LP670-4 SV. There are a couple around.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    manual 670 are very tough to find, i think there are 6 or 8 world wide. Easier to convert an E gear 670 to manual instead. 18k USD using factory parts.

A manual 670 is just about the pinacle for me, excluding the CGT/Zonda/F40/F50

25. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Interesting idea about converting e-gear to 3 pedal. Is that doable across all Murcis (2002+)? Any idea how many owners have actually gone through this? I'd love to talk to someone who did.