Can one simulate sound/power charicteristics of the F40 with alternative assemblies? | FerrariChat

Can one simulate sound/power charicteristics of the F40 with alternative assemblies?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by fast eddy, Sep 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    #1 fast eddy, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
    Hi all! For the savvy engine techs and hot rodders out there a hypothetical question. What would be the common (low cost alternative if there is such a thing) engine of choice to most closely mimic the sound and power output of the F40 engine? Not that I intend to build such a beast, I've just often wondered what makes its sound so distinctive and different from American Iron? It's sound is subdued by turbocharging, but is glorious. Is it the silunimum block material, crank configuration (Is it a flat plane crank)?, firing order, overhead cams/belts, V degree angle, exhaust and turbo plumbing? I suppose its a combination of all the above. Hypothetically could one build and or modify more readily available engines or parts to come close? What about the 308 block as a starting point, or the 355, or 360? What are the main differences between these? (I believe the V angles and most geometry are the same or similar)? any other engine makes similar? Could a cast iron block be an option?-how much in weight difference? I thought it would be an interesting topic of discussion! Please chime in those in the know!

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Well yes you could come close to the sound/power output. Every component influences sound but the most important thing here is likely the flat plane crank.

If I wanted to do this I would probably start with a 348 engine but personally if I were to build a turbocharged Ferrari I would rather improve upon it with modern technology rather than try to duplicate 80's technology.