Tesla Model X. Entry level? | FerrariChat

Tesla Model X. Entry level?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by kverges, Sep 2, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Looks like the signature edition starts at $133,000. So much for a car for the masses

2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Model 3, you're thinking?

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

That's the "for the masses" car, the 3.

Model 3 used to be named the model E. So they'd have had models S, E, X. There was some uproar and Tesla changed the E to 3.

4. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Tesla and Musk were very open and honest about how many models were needed before they could make the model 3 for under $50,000.

The Model X isn't supposed to be anymore 'a car for the masses' than a Range Rover is supposed to be, nor did the company ever promote the idea that it was.

5. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Model X is the SUV version of the Model S.

Not the small BMW 3-Series size car.

Kai

6. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    If you can't wait for a model 3, used Toyota Rav4 EVs with Tesla power hover around $25-33K depending on mileage/condition. I think they were sold with an 8 year battery and powertrain warranty, which means you'd be covered until 2020. I also feel like they were about the $35k price new after incentives, so they seem to be holding up well against depreciation.

Feels a little pricey, IMHO, but the market is the market.

7. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Keith, model 3 is another 2-3 years down the line. Tesla needs to open up its battery factory in Nevada to be able to produce their own batteries to be able to make a more affordable 3000 battery electric car for the masses. For now the Model S (4 door sedan)and upcoming model X(SUV) use batteries sourced from Japan which is very expensive. As soon as Tesla starts making their own batteries, Tesla cars will become practically 100% American Made, or at least the most "Made in America" car that you could buy.
    The signature edition Model X is amongst the first batch of Tesla SUV's that command a premium for "those that have to have to be the first" ones to have it. The Standard model X, I believe has comparable pricing to the Model S ($70K-$125K- I believe).

8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Their just making cars to fill the ego's of their shareholders :D

9. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Yup. Panasonic makes a proprietary 18650 cell for Tesla that's only available to Tesla today.

It has the highest energy density and lowest $/wh in the industry.

It will be interesting to see if they will stick with this form factor or move to pouches.

We are getting close to the end of the technology curve on the current nickel, manganese, cobalt chemistry.

Kai

10. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Just announced unveiling/reservations for the 3 will start in march!

11. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Ah my mistake. I just thought "entry level" car was around the corner, so thought perhaps this was it. I don't pay that much attention to Tesla, as I personally won't spend six figures for a transportation appliance, I reserve that kind of money for sports cars

12. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    But what if that "transportation appliance" was as fast as a Mclaren F1 and comfortably transports 7 people, has cutting edge technology, has no emissions, and got Consumer Reports highest score in it's history of reviewing cars at 103/100...the Model S P85D. It is a whole new sensation of car...

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    It's not as fast as an F1 unless you live in one dimension and stay under 100 mph. My sports cars go on track and that's not what Teslas do. For a stree transportation appliance that launches as fast as anything it's amazing. Not $100K+ amazing to me, but amazing.

14. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

Yup.

Got to drive one. Difficult to describe the feeling.

Kai

15. butcher

butcher Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    Castro Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Albert
    Kai, I got to drive a p90D a few weeks ago in Monterey... As you know, we now we are talking 0-60 on par with Bugatti Veyron, as "insane" turns to "ludicrous". Besides the initial "kick in your arse" feeling at take off there is a notable difference at top above 60mph as well...It was unbelievably fast. Besides the media raves and all the YouTube videos of "insane" and "ludicrous" acceleration romps, the ever adapting technology and integration with smart phone functionality of the car truly raises the ceiling for what a quality Luxurious, and sporty Commuting car can be...