GT86 vs MX-5 (evo, 9:45) | FerrariChat

GT86 vs MX-5 (evo, 9:45)

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 4, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    #1 ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC4xAArXCTY[/ame]

For what it's worth, The Boss, who runs 5'10", barely fit in the passenger side, felt seriously restrained in the driver's seat.

(Apparently, the next gen of the GT86/BRZ is a go. I can only hope they stick to an NA engine, though given the regulatory climate and criticisms of the current engine, it could easily get a turbo.)

2. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    PS. She found the MX-5's interior to be noticeably less roomy than that of our '91 MR2 Turbo.

3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Hmm I'm 6' and find the MX-5 fine, but roominess is not something I really notice unless I find my ability to manipulate all controls somehow confined. I dig the small size and light weight and applaud Mazda's ethos

4. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Well she's got long legs. Maybe that accounts for the different assessment.

5. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    I agree.

But for a daily or near daily in NY Metro, a little less confinement hits a better balance for us -- especially on the passenger side. (You haven't lived until you've gotten antsy in, or tried to catch a nap in, the passenger side of an MR2 Turbo . . .)

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    I am 5'11 and never had a fitment issue with my three MKI MR2's or my '92 MR2 Turbo BUT I did try sleeping in the '92 on a fishing trip once and it sucked ie did not last very long. My '99 Miata was as tight as a glove so even attempting a nap would have been fruitless.

7. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    Did you try it on the passenger side?

Not fun . . .

8. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name: